• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

13th Age and 5ed

Azulthar

Stereotype
Validated User
It's the silly things. My players prefer "cannot be used again until you take a short rest" to "once per encounter" (though to be honest, they don't really like either). 13th Age's game mechanics don't really fade into the background as well as 5th's (partially because 5th just doesn't have that many mechanics to begin with).

Having said that, after having played 5th our group might well switch over to 13th Age :)

Chris J

Validated User
Very interesting thoughts here

Thanks for sharing

I prefer 13th Age because it's both free form outside of combat but well structured within combat. Having said that, I might have a shot at running the full 5ed rules depending on what the DMG brings to the table.

Last edited:

Lord Shark

Varoonik!
Validated User
Thanks for that info

As it goes, I too dislike that 13th Age comes with its own setting. I guess it makes sense what with showing off the icons and all that.
I'd say the Dragon Empire is completely unnecessary. I'm running a 13th Age campaign with no Icons and no Dragon Empire, and it's working just fine so far.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I'd say the Dragon Empire is completely unnecessary. I'm running a 13th Age campaign with no Icons and no Dragon Empire, and it's working just fine so far.
And doing so is brought up in the Icons chapter in a couple of places - one of the things I like about 13th Age is that even the setting rules are at least semi-optional.

ESkemp

Validated User
Yeah, I'm planning a couple of build-my-own 13th Age settings with totally different icons. One of them will be sort of mythic Russia-flavored, where the icons are each holders of one of the Deck of Many Thing's cards -- so for instance, you have the three-headed dragon who owns the Ruin card, and is generally referred to as "the Ruin." The other one's Al-Qadimish, with icon ideas like "the Immortal Sage," "the Ghul Queen," and "the City of Brass."

Rob Donoghue wrote some pretty good summations of build-your-own icon play here.

Selkirk

furious sketch artist :D
Validated User
i really like the escalation die from 13th age...at least against mobs of lower levels-takes the sting out of those low level grinds against goblins/kobolds/etc. only problem with 13th age for me is the 'conversational' style of the book..it's like they are writing a guide for a facebook game (paladins ...lulz..:D).

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
Also, beast masters rock in 13th Age and suck in 5E.*

* Which is bad for those who want their pets in 5E. I think I will only really be happy in 5E playing a warlock.
Not disagreeing, but I look at it like this:

5E is the game where you play a falconer, or maybe a warden with his errant wolf raised from a cub.

13th Age is where you play frikkin' Kazar with his sabertooth cat.

In the former, I see a bow to realism (but the character is still mechanically borked, I cannot lie) while in the latter I expect Greatness and spectacle as Kazar rides Killsaber in to battle.

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
I can see dropping the icons, but what do you do for the classes with icon specific elements (i.e. bard, for ex. or some of the 13 True Ways classes)? Just curious, because I was tempted to drop the icons too but it looked like work.

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
It's the silly things. My players prefer "cannot be used again until you take a short rest" to "once per encounter" (though to be honest, they don't really like either). 13th Age's game mechanics don't really fade into the background as well as 5th's (partially because 5th just doesn't have that many mechanics to begin with).

Having said that, after having played 5th our group might well switch over to 13th Age :)
A weird thing I've experienced with my groups: if I drag the map and minis out for 5E, it slows things down a bit and feels vaguely more like a lite version of 3E. However, if I drag out map and minis for 13th Age it actually seems to go faster, and players freak out when they see what the game's fast and loose effect looks like with a visual (i.e. when I let the fighter move to a nearby cluster of minions and cut down eight of them in a row, I display that on the map with the mini methodically chopping through to the other side of the crowd). This has the weird effect of enhancing the 13th Age mechanics for just how un-3E-like they are.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I like 13th Age a lot, but 5e feels more like D&D to me. Like sometimes I just want to play a fun RPG, and 13th Age is a fun RPG, so I play it. But sometimes I'm specifically in the mood for D&D, and 5e does a better job of capturing that feel while still having a lot of what I look for in a modern game (fast and easy to play, unified mechanics, etc.)

Top Bottom