• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[13th Age] Which Loot supplement is best?

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User
I see that 13th age has two loot supplements: The Book of Loot and Loot Harder. For those who have read them, which one do you think is more useful to the average game?
Also, does either book list suggested prices for any of its magic items? Thanks.

Balac

Validated User
Both are great but I'd lean towards the first if pushed. Like 13th Age's Monster books these are more about the story potential of items and how they can make your game more interesting then just a pile of numbers. Don't have the books in front of me but I don't remember there being prices in them, but then the buy / sell items to maximize your character never really felt like it fit 13th Age anyway.

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User
Thanks for the advice. I sometimes wonder why gold was included in 13th age. It almost seems like it'd be better off with an abstracted system of wealth tied to icon relationships.
Edit: There is an included No Math system for handing out magic items and treasure. I might loosely follow that.

Last edited:

Patrick O'Duffy

Man I hate fractions
Validated User
The Book of Loot is definitely the better option - its magic items are more interesting, have more varied effects and more entertaining quirks.

Loot Harder has artifacts and item sets, which can be fun in a game, but its 'standard' magic items are more niche and the quirks are less fun than I would like.

(When in doubt, always rely on the principle that Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan is the best 13th Age writer.)

No prices in either book for true magic items - 13th Age doesn't do that.
That said, both books have a selection of minor items that can be bought/sold for gold - Loot Harder has more of them, but many are reprinted from monthly mini-supplements.

Last edited:

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Both of them are excellent. I consult them both when I’m giving magic items out.

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User
Thanks for the advice, y'all! Coming back to the question of gold and money, one of the players in my group is entirely new to RPGs and chose to be fantastically wealthy as her one unique thing. At first I was shocked and almost asked her to pick something else, but so far it's gone very well.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I like the fact that you can run 13th Age without counting coins; we used the no-math system and it worked fine. Also that the characters’ Icon patrons are probably going to see that they’re adequately equipped. You lose the traditional D&D element of playing a scrounging adventurer, but you gain in other possibilities.

But if a player wants their character to be rich as their thing, you can handle that in a narrative way, as Jesse has probably already figured out. I would say it’s more of a social benefit because money is not necessary for equipping your character with essential gear, so you can be more creative with what to do with it.

Anyway, the Book of Loot is useful in showing you how to make magic items that are more interesting than just bonuses and are tied to the world. I haven’t read the sequel, but maybe I should get it. Don’t know when I’ll play 13th Age again, but I’m not planning on dying before running Eyes of the Stone Thief, so it’s still in the rotation somewhere.

Top Bottom