• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

1440 at 165hz or 4k at 60hz

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Holy smokes... that's a good question o_O

Does the 60hz monitor have G-Sync or Free-Sync?

I seem to recall (and could be wrong!) that a higher refresh rate (like, 120fps/hz?) is fine dealing with variable framerates when compared to a normal 60hz display. Conversely, adaptive displays using G-Sync and Free-Sync can be nice if your computer can't keep 60+ fps on games (realizing that it is a moving target).

What's your computer? Your system should inform the decision - I don't see the point of getting a 4k display if you can't really make use of it.

NineDaysDead

Validated User
Holy smokes... that's a good question o_O

Does the 60hz monitor have G-Sync or Free-Sync?
I'm looking at ones with G-Sync.

I seem to recall (and could be wrong!) that a higher refresh rate (like, 120fps/hz?) is fine dealing with variable framerates when compared to a normal 60hz display. Conversely, adaptive displays using G-Sync and Free-Sync can be nice if your computer can't keep 60+ fps on games (realizing that it is a moving target).

What's your computer? Your system should inform the decision - I don't see the point of getting a 4k display if you can't really make use of it.
Intel core i7 8700k 3.7ghz overclocked to 4.5ghz
16gb ram 2X8 DDR4 3200
system drive samsung 960 evo nvme m.2 ssd
Gigabyte geforce GTX 1080 8gb gddr5x

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Go for a screen that can at the very least do 144Hz. 165 sound great, if you can afford it.
No point buying sub-standard stuff with your rig.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Since you are asking this in Video Games Open: Can all games you plan to play run in 4K? Some (older) games won't be able to do so smoothly, no matter how beefy your machine is, and running a lower resolution on a 4K monitor can look terrible.

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
I'd go for the 1440px165 display. Some blind tests generally show that people notice the framerate much more than the resolution increase at monitor sizes and distances. Once you're talking about, say, wall-mounted 50 inch displays, the resolution wins, but most people are talking maybe a 25, 28 inch monitor on a desk in front of them.

TheGrog

Validated User
When I was looking, Gsync required extra hardware in the monitor. The premium was something like $250 at the time, so I went with a good deal on one with Freesync. But I believe that requires a AMD card just like Gsync requires an NVIDIA one.

Tuxedo Mask

Intl. Man of Mystery
Validated User
My monitor is dying, would I better off getting a new monitor with 1440 at 165hz or 4k at 60hz?
I have never owned a 4K monitor, so I cannot give an objective comparison, but I can tell you I have zero regrets on buying a 27" 1440@165 monitor. I adore it.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Individual sensibility to refresh rates varies a fair bit. I know that anything above 95-ish is lost on me. Some people can't seem to see the difference between 60 and 100.

Furthermore, some games benefit from high refresh rates whereas some games benefit from crisp details. But some people can't seem to see the diff between a 1K texture and a 4K texture, and between proper AO and a drunk stag wearing nappies.

The size and format is also kinda important, as is the presence of a G-Sync chipset. And not *every* screen has proper contrast yet.

Tuxedo Mask

Intl. Man of Mystery
Validated User
Individual sensibility to refresh rates varies a fair bit. I know that anything above 95-ish is lost on me. Some people can't seem to see the difference between 60 and 100.
Yeah, I'm actually curious how much I'm getting out of mine at 165. I can *definately* tell the difference between 60 and 165, to the point that trying to play on 60 now feels laggy and framey.

But I've tried to compare running my 165 screen at 165 vs 144, and any difference is extremely marginal at best, and completely in my own head at worst - so my 'sweet spot' is somewhere between 60 and 144 it seems, but that's a pretty huge range.

Top Bottom