#16: Women

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your information? If you're actually teaching the subject, I trust you more than anonymous wikipedia editor, but I'm just curious because I've always heard most molesters are men.
Good question, and I apologize that I don't have my books with me. (I haven't taught specifically on this since 2006.) Here's a little to start you off:

Experts agree that male victimization by female perpetrators is dangerously underreported -- and when reported, it is often ignored. Furthermore, they have found evidence that authorities of the past underreported confessions by sexually abusive mothers due to disbelief that mothers could be sexually abusive.

If you want explanations of the problems men face when they admit that a woman had sexually molested them (including rape), take a look at the site mentioned by the author. His own site includes a section on male rape and its underreporting.

For example, according to a 2007 report by the Center for Sex Offender Management, half of all sex offender therapy programs have female patients. "Approximately 3,800 adult women and 2,700 adolescent girl offenders were receiving sex offender therapy services in 2007 -- a number that's nearly twice the number of those served in these programs two years prior." And this is only those women in sex offender programs.

In 1996, the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect (NCCAN) found that mothers were the perpetrators in 25% of all sexual abuse cases they investigated.

Take a look at Female Sexual Abuse of Children edited by Michele Elliott.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks, I appreciate the info. That's the sort of thing that needs more awareness.

Iozz-Sothoth

Come see the violence inherent in the system etc.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Good question, and I apologize that I don't have my books with me. (I haven't taught specifically on this since 2006.) Here's a little to start you off:

Experts agree that male victimization by female perpetrators is dangerously underreported -- and when reported, it is often ignored. Furthermore, they have found evidence that authorities of the past underreported confessions by sexually abusive mothers due to disbelief that mothers could be sexually abusive.

If you want explanations of the problems men face when they admit that a woman had sexually molested them (including rape), take a look at the site mentioned by the author. His own site includes a section on male rape and its underreporting.
I've heard anecdotal evidence that it's very hard to get research done [1] into these issues in the UK; partly because of the legal definition of rape, and partly due to, as you say, the unwillingness of society to consider such a thing possible. It's rather worrying.

Thanks for the references, btw.

[1] As in the Home Office saying 'if your graduate student does research into this issue, we will ensure that you never get funding again'.

Kid Twist

Validated User
Then let me ask you this, TaruTaru--if my original article is wrong, how would you correct it? I can see the point your making, but I'm not certain how that changes some of the advice i give in my article.

Then let me ask you this, TaruTaru--if my original article is wrong, how would you correct it? I can see the point your making, but I'm not certain how that changes some of the advice i give in my article.
That's simple. First, add a paragraph near the beginning of the article clearly acknowledging that there are also ways in which female gamers discriminate against male gamers and making it very clear that you realize that this is not a one-way issue but that both genders in our country need some improvement in how they treat the other gender. Then state at the very end of the paragraph that you are focusing more on women's issues in your article due to the fact that women still tend to be a minority in our hobby.

Second, do NOT state that men who make sexist remarks against women should be punished at university clubs -- state that BOTH men AND women who make sexist remarks against the other gender should be punished at the clubs! Stop the sexism of stating that only men should be held culpable. Treat women as just as capable as men of being offensive, and hold women equally culpable with men.

Finally, if you really want to improve your article, you might include a brief paragraph at the end advising women to be aware that they also contribute to the gender tensions in gaming groups at times. The example I have heard most often have been male gamers complaining about female GMs and female players who think it is hilarious to castrate male PCs or NPCs. The threat of castration horrifies men in the same way that the threat of rape horrifies women, but for some reason, a lot of female gamers think it's okay to make castration jokes even though rape jokes are avoided.

Your article is not damaged by the fact that it points out ways in which women gamers experience discrimination. That's all to the good. It is damaged by the way it suggests that ONLY women can be victimized, ONLY men can be villains, and by the way it assigns full responsibility for the problems on the shoulders of men.

In many ways, your article perpetuates not only vilification of males but female passivity: it treats discrimination as a male dragon, women as the frail victims, and men as the knights who must singlehandedly defeat the male dragon while the women wait to be rescued.

However, with the three changes I have listed above, your article should continue to promote feminist awareness in gaming clubs -- but now, without any sexist mistreatment of men.

Last edited:

Kilgs

Grand Poombah
Validated User
I don't think we need to wag our statistics around in front of anyone. The article was designed to open people's eyes to the notion that these are things to take into consideration in a gaming club. I think it does an excellent job of doing exactly that. None of these issues may exist in your club, all of them, some of them... who knows? But, provided with information, you can do a better job of being aware of the issues.

I think the most interesting and useful aspect of the article is:

Equality does not mean treating women like one of the guys.

Good article.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, this brings back memories. :) Hard to believe this thread is getting close to being a year old.

*tears up* *sniff* Our little thread is growing up. *cries*

EDIT: But I do kinda agree with Kilgs' bolded statement as a good thing to understand.

Top Bottom