• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

2-Player Co-op Legacy Games?

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, here's a doozy for you all!

We recently picked up Betrayal Legacy to play with some friends, have started the campaign, and are having a blast. My partner and I are now interested in playing more Legacy games. There are only two catches:

Catch #1 - We want to have something that we can play with just the two of us, and that is a co-op legacy game.

Catch #2 - Our friends have already purchased Gloomhaven, so both it and Betrayal Legacy are off the table.

The only other co-op legacy game I know of off-hand is Pandemic Legacy, which we are considering, but I'm wondering what else is out there? I will also accept suggestions for co-op campaign play games, if the campaign play is in-depth (i.e. not just games where you can level up and try harder scenarios.)

Thanks, hivemind!

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is great with two players; my husband and I played it controlling two characters each, to increase the difficulty a bit. I've not played Season 2 yet, but the general consensus is 'good, but not as good as Season 1' and so I'd suggest starting there.

If you've not played Pandemic before, you can play normal Pandemic using Pandemic Legacy, which is probably a decent way of learning how to play the basic game before the Legacy twists start rolling in.

The only other co-op legacy (apart from Gloomhaven) that I know of is Aeon's End Legacy. I've never played basic Aeon's End before and wasn't massively impressed by the one session I've done so far. But it might be worth checking out if you really like deckbuilders.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you want co-op campaign games, a few recommendations:

- Arkham Horror LCG: plays great with two people. You start with a base deck, and each adventure your choices give you XP to buy better cards and affect future adventures (you main gain weaknesses, if a monster survived one mission, it may appear in later ones, allies you save will help you, locations will change...). Game comes with a basic campaign (3 missions) and then next campaigns are a deluxe expansion + 6 packs (8 missions per campaign). I like this one a lot, but you have to like the theme, and you have to understand that sometimes running away in one scenario is better than try to complete and suffer a total defeat.

- Imperial Assault, Descent 2e, Sword & Sorcery: I'm putting these games together because they are all dungeon crawlers, co-op, with level up mechanics, equipment... Sword & Sorcery is my favorite of the three because the missions are more nuanced and pretty detailed. Imperial Assault is nice because there's not much sci-fi out there (I haven't tried Galaxy Defenders, which is the sci-fi version of Sword & Sorcery). You need an app for campaign play in Descent 2e and Imperial Assault, I like it but it bothers some people.

- Kingdom Death Monster: it's another huge game like Gloomhaven. Super deep, you can customize your survivors and your town, decide how to research, what to craft... I find the base game a little repetitive (even if I love it), but with some expansions to be able to vary some of the monsters it's awesome. Miniatures take work to assemble, so if you don't like putting minis together maybe I would avoid this (you can play with tokens, but the minis are a huge part of the game).

- 7th Continent (if you can get it somewhere): it's not campaign per-se, but you are not going to finish a curse in a single session. It's an exploration game with very light mechanics, so there is not a super deep story, it is more the storytelling as you explore and find things and clues in the island.

Last edited:

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks, guys! I actually already have 7th Continent, but it's not quite the itch we want to scratch. We've decided to give the Arkham LCG a try; I'll keep you all posted how it goes.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks, guys! I actually already have 7th Continent, but it's not quite the itch we want to scratch. We've decided to give the Arkham LCG a try; I'll keep you all posted how it goes.
Arkham LCG is an excellent game :) Be sure to check arkhamdb.com which contains a ton of advice, decks... There's also a great free app on the iOS store by a fan to track your deck and campaign progression (not sure if it's also available for Android). The game comes with 4 basic decks, read a little about some of them because there is one that is particularly hard to play well (I think to remember the 2 recommended ones are pretty good for starters).

Kuhan

Validated User
When you say you want legacy games, do you need there to be component destruction? T.I.M.E. Stories has some light legacy-like elements - a tiny amount of optional component destruction, meta-game reveals, and a story that doesn't have much replay value because it'll be spoiled the 2nd time around. I think playing it with just two players will require you both to play two characters, though, which isn't ideal but won't ruin the experience.

The Exit (the Room) and Unlock games are small, one-shot legacy-like games. Exit involves heavy component destruction, while I think Unlock doesn't (I've never actually played one from that line, though).

Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger also has minimal replay value, but no component destruction.

SuperZero

Validated User
Very few of the Unlock series have any kind of card destruction, but it does happen.
I'm not sure I'd call them legacy-like, though. Isn't the defining aspect of legacy games that playing the game changes future games? The Unlock and Exit series are all stand-alone one-shots.

I'd definitely recommend Pandemic. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 starts out almost exactly like standard Pandemic, but changes quickly. Since you're aware that cooperative games are a thing, I think it's fair to guess that you're already familiar with Pandemic? I think most people who've played cooperative games have played Pandemic...
Season 2 is a unique take on similar gameplay. It has a (replayable) prologue so you can get used to the new game before you start on the actual story.
Both feature customizable characters--moreso then Betrayal. Characters can die in both versions of Pandemic Legacy, but it's not especially common and there's no player elimination (the player starts over with an unnamed "Civilian" with no special abilities).
Pandemic Legacy was designed by the same designer as Betrayal Legacy, and both use the Legacy Deck mechanic. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 was the first game to use it, and it was refined a bit after that so the Betrayal and Season 2 Legacy Decks are a bit more similar to each other in how they work.

Mice and Mystics is a fun cooperative campaign game, although not actually a Legacy game. It's an adventure game where each player controls a hero and fights monsters.
Charterstone is a competitive Legacy game, although you're working together to build a village--each player just wants the most credit.
Neither of those quite matches the request, but the Pandemic games are the only ones I know that do.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Component destruction is less important to me than permanent change. There are a lot of campaign games in which players build their decks or characters over the course of multiple scenarios, but I'm more excited by games in which the scenarios themselves are changed by earlier scenarios. Having certain encounters be present, or actions be slightly different, or that sort of thing.

Hence why games like Betrayal Legacy or Gloomhaven are really scratching that itch, whereas games like Descent or Mice & Mystics don't quite qualify despite allowing character growth (there are a couple of moments in M&M where performance in previous scenarios affects future ones, but they seemed minimal from my cursory examination.)

Top Bottom