• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

2320-- anyone picked this up?

Ken Finlayson

Small But Vicious Dog
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Ron

Validated User
I am playing 2300 right now. It is a great setting, I just can't find a reason why would I replace an excellent system with a d20 variant. I'm sorry, but I have no love for d20 adaptations.

It looks good. Even if you don't like or use the d20 side of things, it's a dense book, filled with old and updated background material, all in one place.

Last edited:

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It looks good. Even if you don't like or use the d20 side of things, it's a dense book, filled with old and updated background material, all in one place.
I just picked up the original second hand. What sort of updated material do you mean?

Morte

Fool for blondes
Validated User
It's updated in a couple of senses:

- It's set 20 years later and the setting has been tweaked to allow more styles of gameplay in more places, tackling perceived limitations of the original. For example there are more opportunities for exploration, especially at the end of the American Arm thanks to new technology (stutterwarp tugs and deep space stations). If you want to do a space trading game, the Chinese Arm is all set up for that. And there's still plenty of military stuff (large or small scale) on the French Arm.

- The book contains enough setting, gear, aliens, vehicles etc to start a campaign. You don't need several other setting books on top of the rule book, like you did with the original. The only thing it's really missing is a bundled starter adventure. [The author was working on an adventure, which would doubtless come out as a cheap PDF.]

Also, if I may say so (and after contributing over a thousand comments in the playtest I bloody well will), the text hangs together better this time. It's not written like you already know all about the game and just need a reference manual.

Last edited:

Mike Montesa

Validated User
I'm a mad 2300AD fiend and I just picked up 2320. I have no use for the D20 implementation at all but the background material is worth something to me, and there's a lot of it.

I just picked up the original second hand. What sort of updated material do you mean?
What Morte said :)

Also, one additional consideration is that the book truly combines the material found in several of the original books, and builds upon that information successfully.
Even if you hate d20, there's probably at least 300 pages of pure background, as well as d20 Modern conversion notes, and even classic 2300 conversion notes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was also one of the playtesters. Morte really did post about a thousand comments.

Top Bottom