• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

#29: Ether This or That Way Something Wicked This Way Comes

uncle_wilf

Journeyman retailer
Validated User
In...

RPGnet Columns said:
Ross Wynn said:
if the top secret D&D 4e rumors are to be believed, and they are; then DDL games as a whole are limited in the extreme. By the time 4th Edition comes out (probably in 2007) OGL, D&D Licensed, and D20 will all be completely history. Hasbro has been trying to close Pandora's box since Peter left, to no avail thankfully, and smart companies are setting the groundwork to bail out when 4e debuts.
If you're going to propogate this rumour, can you please point out either (a) a credible source or (b) that it's just idle speculation. I'm getting sick of people going on about this mythical "4th ed." :mad:

Gordon

ross_winn

freelance geek
uncle_wilf said:
If you're going to propogate this rumour, can you please point out either (a) a credible source or (b) that it's just idle speculation. I'm getting sick of people going on about this mythical "4th ed."
I have three independantly confirmed sources. I am not revealing them.

San Dee Jota

Validated User
4ed is coming. Maybe this year, maybe next. But it's coming. The days of 10 years between editions is over; there's too much money to be made rehashing old stuff.

OGL is ending as well. Once everyone started making their own variant PHBs and so forth under the OGL, its days were ended. I can go buy a lot of OGL books, get a complete ruleset, and never have to touch a Wizards product. You really think they're going to let -other- guys get rich off of their development and hard work? Business don't survive doing that. The initial OGL was good because it gave Wizards dozens of different companies lactively supporting their D&D line; granted they lost some sales as people chose Generic Monster Book #45 over Monster Manual III, but it also got people buying the core rules so they could use all those OGL products.

But that was a few years back. Recently I purchased the 3 books for the Infernum game. Character creation, rules mechanics, beastiary, setting, mass combat, and advanced social conflict rules are all covered. I have no need for my PHB, DMG, or MM thanks to Infernum's use of the OGL. And I'm sure Infernum isn't the only OGL game to remove the need for Wizards products. So the OGL has to die as it now strengthens Wizards competition instead of its product lines. And a more paranoid could point out that now that several smaller companies have invested their product identities with d20, they'll be badly hurt if Wizards took d20 away from them, further strengthening Wizards by reducing the number of their competitors. Between the thin profit margins and fickle fans, many smaller companies may quit all together. The key question is will people be able to continue making books for 3ed under OGL once 4ed is available? I don't know, but I'm sure some lawyer-types out there do.

Is our author just rumor-mongering? Maybe. But it makes sense to think that the days of everybody making d20 books is coming to an end. It's bad business for them not to.

D.J.

uncle_wilf

Journeyman retailer
Validated User
ross_winn said:
I have three independantly confirmed sources. I am not revealing them.
Spoken like a journalist, sir.

And while I understand that attitude, it does make it hard to distinguish between people who give us the "inside scoop" and people who reiterate rumours and gossip and pretend to have the truth. (No slight on yourself intended)

Thanks for the reply, even if I don't like it.

Gordon

ross_winn

freelance geek
uncle_wilf said:
And while I understand that attitude, it does make it hard to distinguish between people who give us the "inside scoop" and people who reiterate rumours and gossip and pretend to have the truth. (No slight on yourself intended)
I understand your hesitance. I think my predictions will speak for themselves, and I thank you for your forebearance.

ross_winn

freelance geek
San Dee Jota said:
So the OGL has to die as it now strengthens Wizards competition instead of its product lines. And a more paranoid could point out that now that several smaller companies have invested their product identities with d20, they'll be badly hurt if Wizards took d20 away from them, further strengthening Wizards by reducing the number of their competitors. Between the thin profit margins and fickle fans, many smaller companies may quit all together. The key question is will people be able to continue making books for 3ed under OGL once 4ed is available? I don't know, but I'm sure some lawyer-types out there do.
They cannot put the Djinn back in the bottle. So instead they are trying to make the old rules incompatible with the new so that all of the incredibly fickle audience in RPGs jumps on the bandwagon again.

I think that similarly 4th edition will seriously injure Wizards in Hasbro's eyes. It will piss people off. They will react, and it will not be pretty.

HellHound

Retired User
To me, the key line from Synners was "need some change for the machines?".

As living things, we change and evolve to suit our changing environment. As our environment becomes more mechanical, we must change to suit it. We will change for the machines.

Thanks for the review of Etherscope. It is interesting to see different takes on the genres. I think I'll pick this one up.

Top Bottom