• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

2nd Edition AD&D-clone with 3rd/5th Edition SRD

ash adler

Validated User
I've got a friend who's pretty much completely fresh to gaming in general (she's barely played chess or Monopoly, and her video game experience is limited to button mashing in Mortal Kombat 3 some 20 years ago) who I'm getting into TTRPGs. I ran her through some one-shots using a simplified version of 5th edition D&D (since that's what I've been running online for a group of friends and thus is the freshest in my mind) which she had a lot of fun with, so now I'm trying to guide her through making her own character for extended use. As I'm doing this, though, it feels like 5th edition is very complicated for someone without any gaming background to jump right into. I was tempted to use 2nd edition instead (since that's the only other system for which I have physical books, which would make it easy to lend her the PHB), but that might cause her more confusion because of differences from what we'd played through, and although it's my personal favorite edition, it's also got a lot of its own complexities. I started looking at some OSR stuff that have free PDFs (namely Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry), but those also have some of the same experience-invalidating issue.

In looking around, I didn't see anything that filled the niche of a 2nd edition clone using the 5th edition SRD, so I put some thought into it, and I feel like it should be a reasonable thing to develop. LL/S&W can both help guide me a bit with the translation, and it also gives me an excuse to make some tweaks to 5th edition. Before I get too far into it, though, I thought it'd be good to post here and ask if there's already such a system available.

Assuming that there isn't, I started working on it as if it was going to be a complete system, since I think it'd be cool to share the final product publicly. Here's what I've come up with so far:
Spoiler: Show

Methods of Generating Ability Scores
Method 1:
Roll 4d6, drop the lowest, and record the total. Repeat five more times, then arrange the six scores as desired. Tends to give above-average results and is customizable, but it’s slow.
Method 2:
Roll 3d6 in order of STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA. Simple but very random.
Method 4:
Roll 4d6, drop the lowest, in order to STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA. Similar to method 2 with slightly higher averages at the cost of some increased complexity.
Method 3:
Roll 8d6. Each ability score starts at 7, and the rolled dice may be added to the scores as the player desires. The points from a given die cannot be split to multiple ability scores (i.e. if the die roll a 6, it cannot be used to increase two different ability scores by 3 each), and scores cannot be raised above 18. Very customizable, and there is a reliable floor for any given score, but it is the slowest method involving dice.
Method 4:
You have 30 points to spend on ability scores. Costs are shown in Table 1.
Code:
Ability Score    Cost
7                0
8                1
9                2
10               3
11               4
12               5
13               7
14               9
15               11
16               14
17               17
18               21
Table 1: Ability Score Point Costs
Method 5:
Arrange the following scores as desired: 16, 13, 11, 9, 9, 8.

Strength
Strength measures a character’s raw physical power.
Modifier
Modifier is added to attack rolls and damage rolls with melee and thrown weapon attacks. It is also added to damage rolls with missile weapons except crossbows and normal-pull bows.
The worst of Strength or Constitution modifier is added to Fortitude saving throws.
Open Doors
The range indicates the required roll on 2d6 to force open a stuck or heavy door. Numbers in parentheses indicate the required roll on 2d6 to force open a locked, barred, or magically held door.
Bend Bars/Lift Gates
The range indicated the required roll on 2d6 to bend normal iron bars, lift a portcullis, or perform a similar feat of enormous strength.
Code:
Score    Modifier    Open Doors    Bend Bars/Lift Gates    Notes
1        -5            12                0
2        -4            12                0
3        -3            12                0
4-5      -2            11-12             0
6-8      -1            10-12             0
9-12      0            9-12              12
13-15    +1            8-12              12
16-17    +2            7-12              11-12
18       +3            5-12 (12)         10-12
19       +4            5-12 (11-12)      9-12               Hill Giant
20       +5            4-12 (10-12)      8-12               Stone Giant
21       +6            3-12 (9-12)       7-12               Frost Giant
22       +7            3-12 (8-12)       6-12               Fire Giant
23       +8            3-12 (7-12)       5-12               Cloud Giant
24       +9            3-12 (6-12)       4-12               Storm Giant
25       +10           3-12 (5-12)       3-12               Titan
Table 2: Strength
Dexterity
Dexterity measures agility, reflexes, coordination, and balance.
Modifier
Modifier is added to attack rolls with missile weapons and to Armor Class.
The worst of Dexterity or Intelligence modifier is added to Reflex saving throws.
Code:
Score    Modifier
1         -5
2         -4
3         -3
4-5       -2
6-8       -1
9-12       0
13-15     +1
16-17     +2
18        +3
19        +4
20        +5
21        +6
22        +7
23        +8
24        +9
25        +10
Table 3: Dexterity
Constitution
Constitution measures health, stamina, and physical resistance to hardship.
Modifier
Modifier is added to hit points gained per Hit Die. Note that the minimum hit points gained from a Hit Die is always 1. Total hit points should always consider the character’s current Constitution score.
The worse of Strength or Constitution modifier is added to Fortitude saving throws.
Withstand Shock
The range indicates the required roll on 2d6 to survive magical effects that reshape or age the character: petrification, polymorph, magical aging, etc. It can also be used to check if a character maintains consciousness during great physical trauma or otherwise particularly difficult circumstances.
Revival Survival
The range indicates the required roll on 2d6 to be successfully raised from death by magic.
Code:
Score    Modifier    Withstand Shock        Revival Survival
1         -5              11-12                   10-12
2         -4              10-12                    9-12
3         -3               9-12                    8-12
4-5       -2               8-12                    7-12
6-8       -1               7-12                    6-12
9-12       0               6-12                    5-12
13-15     +1               5-12                    4-12
16-17     +2               4-12                    3-12
18        +3               3-12                    2-12
19        +4               2-12                    2-12
20        +5               2-12                    2-12
21        +6               2-12                    2-12
22        +7               2-12                    2-12
23        +8               2-12                    2-12
24        +9               2-12                    2-12
25        +10              2-12                    2-12
Table 4: Constitution
Intelligence
Intelligence measures memory, ability to learn, and logical reasoning.
Modifier
The worst of Dexterity or Intelligence modifier is added to Reflex saving throws.
Skill Points
Indicates the number of points a character can spend on learning skills during character generation.
Chance to Learn Spell
The range indicates the required roll on 2d6 for a wizard to learn a particular spell. The check may be made only once per character level for each particular spell that the character has access to study.
Maximum Spells per Level
The maximum number of spells that a wizard can learn of any single spell level.
Illusion Resistance
Characters with exception Intelligence are automatically make their saving throws against illusion spells of the indicated spell level or lower.
Code:
Score    Modifier    Skill Points    Chance to Learn Spell    Maximum Spells per Level    Illusion Resistance
1         -5                0                    -                          -                        -
2         -4                1                    12                         1                        -
3         -3                1                    11-12                      2                        -
4-5       -2                1                    10-12                      3                        -
6-8       -1                1                    9-12                       6                        -
9-12       0                2                    8-12                       9                        -
13-15     +1                3                    7-12                       12                       -
16-17     +2                4                    4-12                       15                       -
18        +3                5                    5-12                       18                       -
19        +4                6                    4-12                    Unlimited                1st level
20        +5                7                    3-12                    Unlimited                2nd level
21        +6                8                    3-12                    Unlimited                3rd level
22        +7                9                    3-12                    Unlimited                4th level
23        +8                10                   3-12                    Unlimited                5th level
24        +9                11                   3-12                    Unlimited                6th level
25        +10               12                   2-12                    Unlimited                7th level
Table 5: Intelligence
Wisdom
Wisdom measures judgment, sensory perception, intuition, and general awareness.
Modifier
The worst of Wisdom or Charisma modifier is added to Will saving throws.
Bonus Spell Slots
Priests with exception Wisdom receive an additional spell slot of the indicated level. These bonus spell slots are cumulative, i.e. a priest with 17 Wisdom has one bonus 1st level slot and one bonus 2nd-level slot.
Chance of Spell Failure
Priests with low Wisdom must roll 2d6 when trying to cast a spell. If the roll is equal to or less than the indicated value, the spell fizzles and is expended with no effect.
Enchantment Resistance
Characters with exception Wisdom are automatically make their saving throws against enchantment spells of the indicated spell level or lower.
Code:
Score    Modifier    Bonus Spell Slots    Chance of Spell Failure        Enchantment Resistance
1         -5                -                    7                            -
2         -4                -                    6                            -
3         -3                -                    5                            -
4-5       -2                -                    4                            -
6-8       -1                -                    3                            -
9-12       0                -                    2                            -
13-15     +1                1st level            -                            -
16-17     +2                2nd level            -                            -
18        +3                3rd level            -                            -
19        +4                4th level            -                            1st level
20        +5                5th level            -                            2nd level
21        +6                6th level            -                            3rd level
22        +7                7th level            -                            4th level
23        +8                1st level            -                            5th level
24        +9                2nd level            -                            6th level
25        +10               3rd level            -                            7th level
Table 6: Wisdom
Charisma
Charisma measures force of personality, persuasiveness, leadership, and personal magnetism.
Modifier
Modifier is added to NPC reaction rolls and loyalty/morale checks of followers and hirelings.
The worst of Wisdom or Charisma modifier is added to Will saving throws.
Maximum Followers
Indicates the maximum number of permanent, loyal, unpaid, retainers a character can have.
Code:
Score    Modifier    Maximum Followers
1         -5                0
2         -4                1
3         -3                2
4-5       -2                3
6-8       -1                4
9-12       0                5
13-15     +1                6
16-17     +2                7
18        +3                8
19        +4                9
20        +5                10
21        +6                11
22        +7                12
23        +8                13
24        +9                14
25        +10               15
Table 7: Charisma

Apologies for any misalignments in the tables (this is a pretty hasty C&P post).EDIT: Corrected now

I'm mostly looking at preserving the flavor of 2nd while taking advantage of the refined mechanics of 5th (and my own touches, like condensing back to 3 saving throw categories that the 5 categories in 2nd can map into pretty easily), so any feedback to help with that would be greatly appreciated :).

Last edited:

ash adler

Validated User
On to Chapter 2: PC Races

Dwarves
Ability Score Adjustment
+1 Constitution, -1 Charisma

Base Movement Speed
30 feet

Size
Medium

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, dwarf players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: Human, Dwarf, Gnome
Regional: Human, Gnome, Goblin, Kobold, Orc

Stout Resilience
Dwarves gain a bonus to their Will saving throw based on their Constitution score per Table 10. They also gain the same bonus to Fortitude saving throws against poison effects.

Antimagical Nature
When a dwarf attempts to activate a magical item, roll 1d20. On a roll of 4 or less, the item does not function for that use.

This does not apply to weapons, shields, armor, gauntlets, belts/girdles, or magical items that are specifically suited to their class.

Dwarf Combat Prowess
Dwarves gain +1 to all attack rolls against orcs, half-orcs, and goblinoids.

Monsters of “giant”-type suffer disadvantage on attack rolls against dwarves.

Advanced Senses
Dwarves have darkvision of 60 feet.

Dwarves can examine a 10 foot area of an underground location to detect details per Table 8.

Code:
Information                                    Chance to Detect (on 2d6)
Grade/slope in passage                            5-12
New construction                                  5-12
Sliding/shifting walls and similar surfaces       6-12
Stonework pits and traps                          7-12
Approximate depth below surface                   7-12
Table 8: Dwarf Underground Senses

Elves
Ability Score Adjustment
+1 Dexterity, -1 Constitution

Base Movement Speed
60 feet

Size
Medium

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, elf players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: Human, Elf, Gnome, Halfling
Regional: Human, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Orc, Gnoll

Fey Ancestry
When targeted by spells causing sleep or charm effects, an elf resists the effect with a roll of 4-12 on 2d6. This is in addition to their normal saving throw, if applicable.

Artful Weapons
Elves gain +1 to all weapon attack rolls with short swords, long swords, short bows, and long bows. This includes composite bows.

Natural Stealth
If an elf is more than 90 feet away from any allies who are not elves or halflings and none of them are wearing medium or heavy armor, other creatures suffer a -4 penalty to their surprise rolls (reduced to -2 if the elf must open a door or similar obstruction before attacking).

Advanced Senses
Elves have darkvision of 60 feet.

Elves can passively detect secret/concealed doors within 10 feet with a roll of 10-12 on 2d6. If actively searching, the threshold rises to 8-12 on 2d6.

Gnomes
Ability Score Adjustment
+1 Intelligence, -1 Wisdom

Base Movement Speed
30 feet

Size
Small

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, gnome players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling
Regional: Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Goblin, Kobold, Burrowing Mammal (empathic)

Gnome Cunning
Gnome gain a bonus to their Will saving throw based on their Constitution score per Table 10.

Antimagical Nature
When a gnome attempts to activate a magical item, roll 1d20. On a roll of 4 or less, the item does not function for that use.

This does not apply to weapons, shields, armor, gauntlets, belts/girdles, or magical items that are specifically suited to their class.

Gnome Combat Prowess
Gnomes gain +1 to all attack rolls against goblinoids and kobolds.

Monsters of “giant”-type suffer disadvantage on attack rolls against gnomes.

Advanced Senses
Gnomes have darkvision of 60 feet.

Gnomes can examine a 10 foot area of an underground location to detect details per Table 8.

Code:
Information                                Chance to Detect (on 2d6)
Grade/slope in passage                        5-12
Unsafe walls, ceilings, and floors            6-12
Approximate depth below surface               7-12
Approximate direction                         7-12
Table 9: Gnome Underground Senses

Half-Elf
Base Movement Speed
60 feet

Size
Medium

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, half-elf players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: Human, Elf, Gnome, Halfling
Regional: Human, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Orc, Gnoll

Partial Fey Ancestry
When targeted by spells causing sleep or charm effects, a half-elf resists the effect with a roll of 9-12 on 2d6. This is in addition to their normal saving throw, if applicable.

Advanced Senses
Half-elves have darkvision of 60 feet.

Half-elves can passively detect secret/concealed doors within 10 feet with a roll of 10-12 on 2d6. If actively searching, the threshold rises to 8-12 on 2d6.

Halflings
Ability Score Adjustment
+1 Dexterity, -1 Strength

Base Movement Speed
30 feet

Size
Small

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, halfling players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling
Regional: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Goblin, Orc

Stout Resilience
Halflings gain a bonus to their Will saving throw based on their Constitution score per Table 10. They also gain the same bonus to Fortitude saving throws against poison effects.

Pitch Perfect
Halflings gain +1 to all weapon attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.

Natural Stealth
If a halfling is more than 90 feet away from any allies who are not elves or halflings and none of them are wearing medium or heavy armor, other creatures suffer a -4 penalty to their surprise rolls (reduced to -2 if the halfling must open a door or similar obstruction before attacking).

Humans
Base Movement Speed
60 feet

Size
Medium

Languages
In addition to their native regional language, human players may spend skill points (see Table 5) to gain proficiency in speaking the following languages:

Common: any modern language
Regional: any modern language

Code:
Constitution Score    Saving Throw Bonus
4-6                         +1
7-10                        +2
11-13                       +3
14-17                       +4
18+                         +5
Table 10: Saving Throw Bonus from Constitution

EDIT: 2d6 ranges updated for high rolls to be good.
I think it's easier to mentally factor up a number than to take a fraction of it, so it seemed sensible to set "base movement speed" as the distance that can be moved in 1 round while doing something else.

Dwarves, gnomes, and halflings almost-share a few traits in 2E. I smoothed those out to be a bit more uniform.

Incidentally, you might've noticed that I like using 2d6 for a lot of non-standard rolls. I find that it fits quite well with a lot of the percentages while being cleaner to assess (since both dice contribute equally, unlike a d% roll) and giving a +/-1 or 2 situational modifier works more smoothly than with a d20 roll (in that odds for things that would likely succeed or fail are only altered slightly while odds for more ambiguous things tilt significantly). It feels like a happy mesh-point between being easy to do and yet scaling the impact based on the likelihood to unmodified attempt (which I think that nicely models how, say, someone who's strong enough to bash down a door reliably wouldn't be as hampered by slippery footing as someone who needs to work harder for it, or conversely, how having two people work together to lift a portcullis still wouldn't compare to charming a giant into trying it).

Last edited:

ash adler

Validated User
And now on to Chapter 3: PC Classes. I'm breaking this up into Warriors/Wizards today, with Priests/Rogues to follow.

Also, I didn't realize how short the timer was to edit posts on here, so just pretend I changed all of the 2d6 ranges in the previous posts to succeed on high rolls instead of low rolls. Purely a cosmetic change, but it's better to be consistent in whether high rolls or low rolls are the good ones.

Warrior
All Warriors have the following attributes:

Usable Weapons: any
Usable Armor: any
Starting Weapon Proficiency Points: 3

Code:
Level        Fighter            Paladin/Ranger    Hit Dice
1                  0                     0            1d10
2              2,000                 2,250            2d10
3              4,000                 4,500            3d10
4              8,000                 9,000            4d10
5             16,000                18,000            5d10
6             32,000                36,000            6d10
7             64,000                72,000            7d10
8            128,000               144,000            8d10
9            256,000               288,000            9d10
10           500,000               600,000            9d10+3
11           750,000               900,000            9d10+6
12         1,000,000             1,200,000            9d10+9
13         1,250,000             1,500,000            9d10+12
14         1,500,000             1,800,000            9d10+15
15         1,750,000             2,100,000            9d10+18
16         2,000,000             2,400,000            9d10+21
17         2,250,000             2,700,000            9d10+24
18         2,500,000             3,000,000            9d10+27
19         2,750,000             3,300,000            9d10+30
20         3,000,000             3,500,000            9d10+33
Table 11: Warrior Experience Chart

Code:
Warrior Level    Melee Attacks/Round
1-6                        1
7-12                      3/2
13+                        2
Table 12: Warrior Melee Attack Speed Progression

Fighter
Weapon Expert
A Fighter can spend multiple weapon proficiency points on the same weapon type in order to gain +1 to attack rolls, +2 to damage rolls, and improved attack speed per Table 13.

Code:
Level    Melee Weapon    Dagger (Thrown)        Dart    Light X-bow        Heavy X-bow        Other (Non-Bow) Missiles
1-6            3/2                3/1                4/1            1/1                1/2                3/2
7-12            2                 4/1                5/1            3/2                1/1                2/1
13+            5/2                5/1                6/1            2/1                3/2                5/2
Table 13: Fighter Weapon Specialist Attack Speed Progression

Storied Champion
A Fighter of 9th or higher level who has a stronghold attracts troops (with a leader) and an elite guard. These soldiers will be loyal as long as they’re paid and not mistreated.

Code:
Die Roll (2d6)        Troops                                Leader                                                                        Elite Guard
2-6            20 medium cavalry and 100 medium infantry    5th level Fighter with plate mail, tower shield, battle axe +2                10 heavy cavalry
7-8            20 medium infantry and 60 light infantry     6th level Fighter with plate and mail, shield +1, spear +1, dagger +1         10 elf spellswords
9-10           60 heavy infantry                            6th level Fighter with scale mail +1, normal shield, spear +1,                10 medium scouts
                                                            plus a 3rd level Fighter lieutenant
11             10 heavy cavalry, 20 medium cavalry,         7th level Fighter with scale mail +1, shield +1, long sword +1,               20 light archers
               30 light cavalry                             plus a war horse
12             GM’s option                                  GM’s option                                                                    GM’s option
Table 14: Fighter Troop Random Generation

Paladin
Divine Sense
A Paladin can detect evil monsters (if good- or neutral-aligned) or good monsters (if evil-aligned) in a 60-foot cone. Humanoids also register if they are at least 9th level (or have at least 9 Hit Dice) and are intent on appropriate actions. Each attempt takes one round. This can be used at will.

Divine Resistance
A Paladin has +2 to all saving throws.

Divine Health
A Paladin is immune to all diseases.

Laying Hands
A Paladin can touch a creature to restore 2 HP/level once per day. Additionally, a Paladin can touch a creature to cure diseases once per week. The latter increases to twice per week at level 6, three times per week at level 11, and four times per week at level 16.

Aura of Protection
All summoned or evil creatures within 10 feet of a Paladin suffer a -1 penalty on all attack rolls. If the Paladin is wielding a holy weapon, this aura also dispels hostile magic (per dispel magic cast at the Paladin’s level).

Turn Undead
Starting at 3rd level, a Paladin can turn (or control) undead as a Cleric of two fewer levels.

Faithful Steed
Starting at 4th level, a Paladin may petition their patron power for a special mount to bond with.

Divine Spellcasting
Upon reaching 9th level, a Paladin gains access to spells from the following Priest spheres: combat, divination, healing, and protection. Spell slot progression is shown in Table 15. A Paladin does not gain additional spell slots from their Wisdom score.

Code:
Paladin Level    Effective Caster Level        Priest Spell Slot Level
                                               1        2        3        4
9                     1                        1        -        -        -
10                    2                        2        -        -        -
11                    3                        2        1        -        -
12                    4                        2        2        -        -
13                    5                        2        2        1        -
14                    6                        3        2        1        -
15                    7                        3        2        1        1
16                    7                        3        3        1        1
17                    8                        3        3        2        2
18                    8                        3        3        2        2
19                    9                        3        3        3        3
20                    9                        3        3        3        3
Table 15: Paladin Spell Progression

Oathsworn
If a Paladin violates their sacred oath, they lose their special benefits until they perform a suitable atonement.

Spread the Wealth
A Paladin can’t keep possession of more than 10 magical items, further limited to four weapons (not counting ammunition), one shield, one armor, and four other items. Excess earnings must be donated to an organization or institution of their patron power.

High Standards
A Paladin can only employ hirelings who act in accordance with their sacred oath.

Ranger
Skirmisher
When unarmored or wearing light armor, a Ranger can fight with two weapons without any penalties.

Favored Terrain
Select a favored terrain: arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountains, swamp, underground, or urban. In that terrain, the Ranger has proficiency in Survival. Additionally, when unarmored or wearing light armor, the Ranger has proficiency in Stealth.

Sworn Enemy
Select a sworn enemy type: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, undead, or a specific type of humanoids. The Ranger has advantage on all attack rolls against the sworn enemy, but they also suffer a -4 penalty to reaction rolls.

Natural Empathy
A Ranger can approach and befriend domestic or non-hostile beasts automatically. Wild or hostile trained animals must roll a Will saving throw (with a -1 penalty per three Ranger levels) or have their reaction shifted one category as the Ranger chooses.

At 10th level, the Ranger attracts 2d6 natural creatures as followers.

Code:
Die Roll (2d6)        Follower
2-6                    Brown or black bear
7-8                    Wolf or great cat
9-10                   Falcon, eagle, or raven
11                     Fey (up to 5 Hit Dice)
12                     GM’s option
Table 16: Ranger Follower Random Generation

Divine Spellcasting
Upon reaching 8th level, a Ranger gains access to the following Priest spheres: animal, plant. Spell slot progression is shown in Table 17. A Ranger does not gain additional spell slots from their Wisdom score.

Code:
Ranger Level        Effective Caster Level        Priest Spell Slot Level
                                                   1        2        3
8                         1                        1        -        -
9                         2                        2        -        -
10                        3                        2        1        -
11                        4                        2        2        -
12                        5                        2        2        1
13                        6                        3        2        1
14                        7                        3        2        2
15                        8                        3        3        2
16+                       9                        3        3        3
Table 17: Ranger Spell Progression

Wizard
All Wizards have the following attributes:

Usable Weapons: short blades (except short swords), simple blunt (except maces), missile, exotic
Usable Armor: none
Starting Weapon Proficiency Points: 1

Code:
Level        Wizard        Hit Dice
1                 0        1d4
2             2,500        2d4
3             5,000        3d4
4            10,000        4d4
5            20,000        5d4
6            40,000        6d4
7            80,000        7d4
8           160,000        8d4
9           320,000        9d4
10          600,000        10d4
11          940,000        10d4+1
12        1,280,000        10d4+2
13        1,620,000        10d4+3
14        1,960,000        10d4+4
15        2,300,000        10d4+5
16        2,640,000        10d4+6
17        2,980,000        10d4+7
18        3,320,000        10d4+8
19        3,660,000        10d4+9
20        4,000,000        10d4+10
Table 18: Wizard Experience Chart

Arcane Spellcasting
A Wizard has access to Wizard spells per the spell slot progression shown in Table 19. A Wizard begins with a spell book containing detect magic, read magic, and 1d4+Intelligence Modifier additional spells.

Following a long rest, a Wizard can prepare one specific spell per available spell slot. The slot is expended in attempting to cast the spell and is only restored after another long rest.

When a Wizard finds scrolls or spell books, they can try to learn any of the spells therein that they can cast by succeeding on a 2d6 “Chance to Learn Spell” check per Table 5.

Code:
Wizard Level        Wizard Spell Slot Level
                      1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9
1                     1    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
2                     2    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
3                     2    1    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
4                     3    2    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
5                     4    2    1    -    -    -    -    -    -
6                     4    2    2    -    -    -    -    -    -
7                     4    3    2    1    -    -    -    -    -
8                     4    3    3    2    -    -    -    -    -
9                     4    3    3    2    1    -    -    -    -
10                    4    4    3    2    2    -    -    -    -
11                    4    4    4    3    3    -    -    -    -
12                    4    4    4    4    4    1    -    -    -
13                    5    5    5    4    4    2    -    -    -
14                    5    5    5    4    4    2    1    -    -
15                    5    5    5    5    5    2    1    -    -
16                    5    5    5    5    5    3    2    1    -
17                    5    5    5    5    5    3    3    2    -
18                    5    5    5    5    5    3    3    2    1
19                    5    5    5    5    5    3    3    3    1
20                    5    5    5    5    5    4    3    3    2
Table 19: Wizard Spell Progression

Arcane Research
Upon reaching 9th level, a Wizard may attempt to research new spells or create new magical items.

Mage
Mages may learn spells from any school.

Specialist Wizard
Wizards may specialize in a school of magic per Table 20.

Code:
Specialized School        Opposition School(s)
Abjuration                Alteration, Illusion
Alteration                Abjuration, Necromancy
Conjuration               Divination (5th level or higher), Evocation
Divination                Conjuration
Enchantment               Evocation, Necromancy
Illusion                  Abjuration, Evocation, Necromancy
Evocation                 Conjuration, Enchantment
Necromancy                Enchantment, Illusion
Table 20: Wizard School Specialization

Specialty Magic
A Specialist Wizard has a +1 bonus to the 2d6 roll to learn spells from their specialty school.

They have one additional spell slot per spell level that can be used to prepare a spell from their specialty school.

They gain a +1 bonus to saving throws against spells of their specialty school. Opponents suffer a -1 saving throw penalty against spells of their specialty school.

They learn a new spell from their specialty school automatically when they level up, which is added to their spell book immediately.

They suffer a -1 penalty to the 2d6 roll to learn spells from schools outside of their specialty, and they may never learn spells from the opposition schools.

On weapon proficiencies, I took the middle ground between standard 2E and 3E/5E by using weapon groups (similar to Complete Fighter's Handbook or the original Baldur's Gate), roughly split along the lines of "1d2 to 1d6" and "1d6 and up". I'm not entirely sure whether I prefer specialization to be a specific weapon type or an entire weapon group, but I think the distinction would only matter with a GM who goes fully random on treasure generation, so in case I end up doing a compiled release of this system, going with specializing in an entire group seemed like the better option (since, let's face it, fighters need the help :cautious:).

It'll be a little while before skill checks come up (in chapter 5), but I'm still debating exactly how to approach them. 1d20+stat mod vs TN is an obvious place to start (though I'll mention 2d10 as an option instead of 1d20, since that's what I prefer for the same reasons as mentioned for 2d6 "special" checks in the previous post), but how to factor in proficiency? I've got a few ideas rolling around in my head, but I think the cleanest is to treat it as advantage (either 2d20 or 3d10, drop lowest). I'll just need to be mindful of sticking to static modifiers in order to keep that meaningful.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Also, I didn't realize how short the timer was to edit posts on here
It is because you are new. Once you have more than 10 posts, then you get the two week window.

As for content, looks good. With the paladin mount, are you going with the summoned version from 3.5 or the "must be found with a quest" from AD&D?

ash adler

Validated User
It is because you are new. Once you have more than 10 posts, then you get the two week window.
It feels so appropriate to learn an exception-based rule on a thread about a 2E-derivative :D

I'm usually more of a low-to-mid fantasy person, so I prefer the quest route (though at the moment, I'm just trying to put together a ruleset suitable for me to run, hence the complete lack of detailed description on a lot of stuff). If I was developing this into a full system, I'd have to think more about how to do it in a way that's actually fleshed out and not just "yeah, there's this thing that you can get when you get it".

Off the top of my head, my intuitive approach would be to let the PC bond with a mount of their choice and allow the bond to be transferred to a new mount via some ritual (so that you could start out with a basic war horse that you'd been using since an earlier level, then switch to the griffon that comes to eat it, then eventually switch to a nightmare for extraplanar crusading, for instance). It wouldn't be a magically-summoned creature in the way the 3.5 paladin's mount is, but it'd be something that could be called on mentally (arriving by its normal means in, say, 1d4+1 rounds, barring special circumstances) and wouldn't be subject to normal morale checks. I'm sure there's a specific reference in my mind that's the idea behind calling on it, but for the life of me, all that I'm coming up with the Warder bond in the Wheel of Time books, and that's obviously not quite right :cautious:

ash adler

Validated User
Closing out PC classes, including multi-/dual-classing, and thorwing in chapter 4 (alignment) as well! So many tables, which aren't so bad to set up in Word but are so finicky to align in code blocks o_O. And wow, I'd forgotten that priests gained so many more low level spell slots than wizards :p . I never understood why clerics were so unpopular when they had the 2nd best equipment options, 2nd best HD, 2nd best THAC0 progression, and full spellcasting (with a generally-inferior spell list, sure, but they had access to all of it without needing to fuss with a spell book).

Priest
All Priests have the following attributes:

Starting Weapon Proficiency Points: 1

Code:
Level    Cleric/Druid    Hit Dice
1                0        1d8
2            1,500        2d8
3            3,000        3d8
4            6,000        4d8
5           12,000        5d8
6           24,000        6d8
7           48,000        7d8
8           96,000        8d8
9          190,000        9d8
10         400,000        9d8+2
11         630,000        9d8+4
12         860,000        9d8+6
13       1,090,000        9d8+8
14       1,320,000        9d8+10
15       1,550,000        9d8+12
16       1,780,000        9d8+14
17       2,010,000        9d8+16
18       2,240,000        9d8+18
19       2,470,000        9d8+20
20       2,700,000        9d8+22
Table 21: Priest Experience Chart

Divine Spellcasting
A Priest has access to Priest spells per the spell slot progression shown in Table 22.

Following a long rest, a Priest can prepare one specific spell per available spell slot. The slot is expended in attempting to cast the spell and is only restored after another long rest.

Code:
Priest Level    Priest Spell Slot Level
                 1    2    3    4    5    6    7
1                1    -    -    -    -    -    -
2                2    -    -    -    -    -    -
3                2    1    -    -    -    -    -
4                3    2    -    -    -    -    -
5                3    3    1    -    -    -    -
6                3    3    2    -    -    -    -
7                3    3    2    1    -    -    -
8                4    4    3    2    1    -    -
9                4    4    3    3    2    -    -
10               4    4    3    3    2    -    -
11               5    4    4    3    2    1    -
12               5    5    5    3    2    2    -
13               6    6    6    4    2    2    -
14               6    6    6    5    3    2    1
15               6    6    6    6    4    2    1
16               7    7    7    6    4    3    1
17               7    7    7    7    5    3    2
18               8    8    8    8    6    4    2
19               9    9    8    8    6    4    2
20               9    9    9    8    7    5    2
Table 22: Priest Spell Progression

Cleric
Usable Weapons: simple blunt, hafted (except axes), missile, exotic
Usable Armor: any

Clerics have access to the following spheres of magic: all, astral, charm, combat, divination, guardian, healing, necromantic, plant, and protection.

Turn Undead
A Cleric can turn undead (or control undead, if evil-aligned).

Spiritual Leader
A Cleric of 8th level or higher who has established a place of worship attracts a group of 100 fanatics (light infantry). These fanatics will be loyal as long as they aren’t mistreated.

Druid
Usable Weapons: short blades, simple blunt, pole weapons (except lances), missile, exotic
Usable Armor: any non-metal armor or shields

Druids have access to the following spheres of magic: all, animal, creation, divination (up to 3rd-level only), elemental, healing, plant, summoning, sun, and weather

Elemental Affinity
Druids gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against fire or lightning damage.

Upon reaching 17th level, a Druid can enter and survive the Elemental Plane of Earth at will. This power expands to the Elemental Plane of Fire at 18th level, the Elemental Plane of Water at 19th level, and the Elemental Plane of Air at 20th level.

Nature’s Guardian
A Druid has proficiency in Nature automatically.

Upon reaching 3rd level, they can identify plants, animals, and pure water with perfect accuracy, and they ignore difficult terrain caused by plants.

Timeless Tongues
A Druid knows the Druidic language and is literate in it automatically.

Upon reaching 3rd level, they can learn one of the following languages: Aquan, Auran, Draconic, Elf (common or regional), Giant, Gnome (common or regional), Ignan, Primordial, Sylvan, or Terran. They can learn another with each further level gained.

Feymiliarity
Upon reaching 7th level, a Druid gains immunity to charm spells cast by beasts or fey.

Wild Shape
Upon reaching 7th level, a Druid gains the ability to shapechange into a beast of Large size or small and of their Hit Dice or less. This ability can be used up to three times per day. The Druid maintains their hit points but heals half of any damage taken upon changing into the beast. The Druid’s possessions (including one item held in each hand) merge with their form while shapechanged and cannot be used.

Archdruid
Upon reaching 16th level, a Druid becomes immune to poison and disease, stops aging (including becoming immune to magical aging), and gains the ability to alter their appearance at will to resemble any humanoid creature within +/-50% of their height and weight (only true sight or equivalent can see through this alteration).

Rogue
Starting Weapon Proficiency Points: 2

Code:
Level    Thief/Bard        Hit Dice
1                0            1d6
2            1,250            2d6
3            2,500            3d6
4            5,000            4d6
5           10,000            5d6
6           20,000            6d6
7           40,000            7d6
8           80,000            8d6
9          160,000            9d6
10         330,000            10d6
11         500,000            10d6+2
12         670,000            10d6+4
13         840,000            10d6+6
14       1,010,000            10d6+8
15       1,180,000            10d6+10
16       1,350,000            10d6+12
17       1,520,000            10d6+14
18       1,690,000            10d6+16
19       1,860,000            10d6+18
20       2,100,000            10d6+20
Table 23: Rogue Experience Chart

Rogues have a chance to read any document written in a language they are not normally literate in with a 2d6 roll per Table 24. This check can be attempted once per level.

Code:
Rogue Level        Chance to Read
1                    11-12
2                    10-12
3                    9-12
4                    8-12
5                    7-12
6                    6-12
7                    5-12
8+                   4-12
Table 24: Rogue Chance to Read Documents

Thief
Usable Weapons: short blades, simple blunt, bows (except long bows and composite long bows), missile, exotic
Usable Armor: light

Expertise
While unarmored, wearing padded armor, or wearing leather armor, a Thief has proficiency in Athletics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth.

Sneak Attack
When attacking an enemy who is unaware of them, surprised, or helpless (paralyzed, unconscious, etc.), a Thief’s weapon damage is multiplied per Table 25. Damage from Strength modifier or magical bonuses is not multiplied.

Code:
Thief Level        Multiplier
1-4                    2
5-8                    3
9-12                   4
13+                    5
Table 25: Thief Sneak Attack Multiplier

Thieves’ Cant
A Thief knows the Thieves’ Cant language and is literate in it automatically.

Trial and Error
Upon reaching 10th level, a Thief may attempt to read scrolls. When attempted, roll 1d20. On a roll of 4 or less, the scroll malfunctions detrimentally.

New Guildmaster
A Thief of 10th level or higher who has established a stronghold attracts a group of scoundrels. These scoundrels are generally loyal as long as they’re paid and aren’t mistreated.

Code:
Die Roll (2d6)        Scoundrels
2-6                    5 dwarf light infantry and 10 dwarf medium scouts
7-8                    5 elf light scouts and 10 half-elf light archers
9-10                   5 gnome spellswords and 10 gnome light scouts
11                     5 halfling light scouts and 10 human light infantry
12                     GM’s option
Table 26: Thief Scoundrel Random Generation

Bard
Usable Weapons: any
Usable Armor: light and medium

Art Connoisseur
A Bard is literate in their native language and has proficiency in History, Performance, and one music instrument automatically.

Jack-of-All-Trades
While unarmored, wearing padded armor, or wearing light armor, a Bard has proficiency in Athletics, Perception, and Sleight of Hand.

Arcane Spellcasting
A Bard has access to Wizard spells per the spell slot progression shown in Table 27. A Bard begins with a spell book containing 1d4 spells.

Following a long rest, a Bard can prepare one specific spell per available spell slot. The slot is expended in attempting to cast the spell and is only restored after another long rest. Spellcasting is not possible while wearing any armor other than elven chain mail.

When a Bard finds scrolls or spell books, they can try to learn any of the spells therein that they can cast by succeeding on a 2d6 “Chance to Learn Spell” check per Table 5.

Code:
Bard Level        Wizard Spell Slot Level
                 1    2    3    4    5    6
1                -    -    -    -    -    -
2                1    -    -    -    -    -
3                2    -    -    -    -    -
4                2    1    -    -    -    -
5                3    1    -    -    -    -
6                3    2    -    -    -    -
7                3    2    1    -    -    -
8                3    3    1    -    -    -
9                3    3    2    -    -    -
10               3    3    2    1    -    -
11               3    3    3    1    -    -
12               3    3    3    2    -    -
13               3    3    3    2    1    -
14               3    3    3    3    1    -
15               3    3    3    3    2    -
16               4    3    3    3    2    1
17               4    4    3    3    3    1
18               4    4    4    3    3    2
19               4    4    4    4    3    2
20               4    4    4    4    4    3
Table 27: Bard Spell Progression

Bardic Performance
A Bard can perform to influence a group that is not attacking. Everyone listening must roll a Will saving throw (with a -1 penalty per three Bard levels) or have their reaction shifted one category as the Bard chooses. Those succeeding on the saving throw are shifted one category in the opposite direction.

Bardic Inspiration
A Bard can perform prior to an immediate battle to inspire friends and allies, granting +1 to attack rolls, +1 to saving throws, or +2 to morale for 1 round per level. This effect can’t be renewed during combat.

Countercharm
A Bard can perform to counter charm spells and magical songs. If the Bard succeeded on a Will saving throw, they and everyone within 30 feet is immune to the attack until the Bard stops, is hit, or fails a saving throw. This effect can be used once per encounter.

Scrounged Lore
A Bard can attempt to identify a magical item. Roll 1d20. If the sum of the roll and the Bard’s level exceeds 20, the attempt is successful.

Dabbler
Upon reaching 10th level, a Bard may attempt to read scrolls or magical books. When attempted, roll 1d20. On a roll of 4 or less, the item malfunctions detrimentally.

Font of Inspiration
A Bard of 10th level or higher who has established a stronghold attracts a group of 20 light or medium infantry (equal odds) admirers. These admirers will be loyal as long as they’re paid and not mistreated.

Combining Classes
Multi-Class
Non-human characters may combine two or three classes from different groups, except for Paladin, Specialist Wizard, or Bard.

Their hit points are the average of all Hit Dice rolled, with their Constitution modifier split between each class. They gain weapon proficiency slots and skill points as per their most favorable class only. Experience is split equally between each class. They use the best attack bonus and saving throws.

Multi-classed Fighters can’t benefit from Weapon Expert.

Multi-classed Wizards may not cast Wizard spells while wearing any armor other than elven chain mail.

Multi-classed Priests must abide by their weapon restrictions.

Multi-classed Thieves maintain all of their benefits.

Dual-Class
Humans may dual-class by switching from a class in one group to a class in another at any time after attaining at least level 2 in the former. They can gain up to four classes, one from each group.

When the change is made, they act as a level 1 character of the new class with zero experience, retaining their previous Hit Dice and hit points. The previous class can never gain more experience. If the character was previously a Priest, they must still abide by their weapon restrictions.

They must abide by the new class’s attack bonus, saving throws, and any restrictions. Using any abilities of the previous class means forfeiting all experience for that encounter. The character gains no new Hit Dice or hit points until their new class reaches a higher level than any of their previous classes. At that point, these restrictions are dropped. The character gains additional Hit Dice and hit points per their new class. Priests must still abide by their weapon restrictions, and Wizards and Bards still cannot cast Wizard spells while wearing any armor other than elven chain mail, but the character is otherwise free to use abilities, attack bonus, and saving throws from all of their classes.

Chapter 4: Alignment
Do what you do.

I took creation, summoning, and sun spheres away from clerics and gave them to druids instead. They fit more thematically, it seems like a reasonable buff to make up for slowing their progression in the meaty mid-game levels, and really, clerics are good enough without those. If I can remember to do it, I'll probably change flame strike from combat to elemental and insect plague from combat to summoning, too.

Yes, "feymiliarity" is a bad pun. If it wasn't obvious from the halfling trait to help their ranged attacks being "pitch perfect", I like Punny Names :LOL:

Thief skills are simplified to proficiency with the related 5E skills while in leather armor or less. Not a perfect translation, but it's much cleaner. The fact that Athletics can cover more than Climb Walls doesn't feel like a problem to me, since I won't use 5E-style grapple/shove attacks.

No mentions of stat requirements, level limits, or race/class limits because I haven't cared about those since my early days of running 2E (I'm of the opinion that those were meant as simulations of the masses and that there's no harm in having the PCs be a bit special in that regard). I set the expectation that PC development should make sense narratively, and players tend to be correspondingly reasonable. It'd be something to mention for a compiled release, I suppose, if that ever happens.

Alignment...I like it and make use of it, but it's something that varies a lot from table to table, so it's not worth spending much effort on it for this write-up. Like the previous point, I'll say something there if I make a compiled release. Honestly, it'll probably be something similar to 2E's own mention that it's a guideline rather than a straitjacket along with 5E's vague explanations of what each one means.

ash adler

Validated User
Chapter 5 (aka the optional chapter that I don't recall anyone ever treating as optional): Proficiencies.

Chapter 5: Proficiencies and Skills
Characters start with weapon proficiency slots based on their class group (see Table 28) and skill points based on their Intelligence (see Table 5). Table 28 also shows the rate at which additional proficiency slots and skill points are gained (note that the rate ignores 1st level, e.g. a Fighter gains weapon proficiency slots at levels 3, 6, 9, etc.).

Code:
Class Group                Weapon Proficiency Slots            Skill Points
                    Initial    Rate of Gain    Penalty            Initial        Rate of Gain
Warrior                3        1/3 levels        -2            See Table 5        1/4 levels
Wizard                 1        1/6 levels        -5            See Table 5        1/4 levels
Priest                 1        1/5 levels        -3            See Table 5        1/4 levels
Rogue                  2        1/5 levels        -3            See Table 5        1/3 levels
Table 28: Proficiency Progression

Weapon Proficiencies
Characters can spend a weapon proficiency slot to gain proficiency in one of the following categories:
  • Short Blades: dagger, short sword, sickle
  • Long Blades: bastard sword, long sword, great sword
  • Simple Blunt: club, mace, quarterstaff, war hammer
  • Hafted: battle axe, flail, hand axe, maul, morning star
  • Bows: long bow, short bow, light crossbow, heavy crossbow, hand crossbow
  • Missiles: blowgun, darts, sling
  • Pole Weapons: beaked hammer, glaive, halberd, lance, pike, spear
  • Exotic: mancatcher, net, scourge, whip
The “Penalty” in Table 28 is a modifier on attack rolls while using a weapon that the character is not proficient in. Characters can use weapons other than those permitted by their class, but they will not be proficient in them and may face other repercussions (particularly for Clerics or Druids).

Ability Checks
The GM can call for an ability check to resolve a character’s attempt to do something with a chance of failure. This is done by rolling either 1d20 or 2d10 (GM's choice) and comparing to the relevant ability score. If the roll is less than or equal to the ability score, it is a success. Attempting feats that are particularly easy or hard may add a modifier to the ability score, as shown in Table 29.

Code:
Difficulty            Modifier
Very Easy               +5
Easy                    +2
Medium                   0
Hard                    -2
Very Hard               -5
The Stuff of Legends   -15
Table 29: Typical Ability Check Target Numbers

Skills are attempts to try or perform specific tasks that go beyond basic general knowledge and capabilities, i.e. attempts to do something that the character can be trained for. Normally, this works the same as a general ability check. If the character is proficient in the skill, however, they may roll an additional die (i.e. either 2d20 or 3d10) and drop the highest roll from their result.

Table 30 lists the skills along with their primary relevant abilities. The GM may associate a skill with different ability in particular circumstances.

Code:
Skill                    Relevant Ability
Acrobatics             Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution
Animal Handling        Intelligence or Wisdom
Arcana                 Intelligence
Athletics              Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution
Deception              Dexterity or Charisma
History*               Intelligence
Insight                Wisdom or Charisma
Intimidation           Strength or Charisma
Language, Ancient*     Intelligence or Charisma
Language, Modern*      Intelligence or Charisma
Medicine               Intelligence or Wisdom
Musical Instrument*    Dexterity
Nature                 Intelligence
Perception             Wisdom
Performance            Dexterity or Charisma
Persuasion             Intelligence or Charisma
Reading/Writing*       Intelligence
Religion*              Intelligence or Wisdom
Sleight of Hand        Dexterity
Stealth                Dexterity or Wisdom
Survival               Intelligence or Wisdom
*: This skill may be selected multiple times, at the GM’s option.
Table 30: Skills

Acrobatics
Feats of agility, balance, and physical grace, such as walking a tightrope, vaulting off of a swinging chandelier, or tumbling through an enemy’s legs.

Animal Handling
Techniques and skills for controlling or training beasts.

Arcana
Knowledge of lore related to spells, magical artifacts, eldritch symbols, and magical rites.

Athletics
Feats of power and endurance, such as climbing a rock wall, swimming against a current, dancing for several hours, or jumping over a high obstacle.

Deception
Covering tells while lying (either directly or through omission), adopting body language to blend in with a crowd, or passing off scribbled scraps as an actual document.

History
Knowledge of a region’s historical facts, past wars, cultural symbols (such as heraldry), or ancient legends.

Insight
Reading someone’s behavior, speech patterns, and body language to deduce their characteristics or intentions.

Intimidation
Influencing others through threats or displays of power.

Language, Ancient or Modern
Speaking and understanding a certain language. Modern languages can be further split into common (broadly capable of communicating simple concepts) and regional (fully developed language incorporating local jargon, non-literal constructs, etc. which are difficult to translate for non-speakers).

Ancient: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Elven Cat, Deep Speech, Draconic, Giant, Ignan, Infernal, Primordial, Roper, Sylvan, Terran
Modern (common): Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling
Modern (regional): Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Kobold, Orc, Sahuagin

Medicine
First aid, herbalism, or diagnosing and treating sickness.

Musical Instrument
Ability to play an instrument well, such as bagpipes, drum, flute, lute, or harp.

Nature
Knowledge about terrain, weather, plants, and animals.

Perception
Training in interrelating senses to increase general awareness or compensating for when certain senses (such as sight or hearing) are thwarted.

Performance
Reading an audience and putting on a show to suit them.

Persuasion
Influencing others through logic, proper etiquette, tact, or social grace.

Reading/Writing
Literacy in given language.

Religion
Knowledge of religious rites, symbols, and doctrine.

Sleight of Hand
Fine manual feats such as pickpocketing, palming cards, switching out loaded dice, or five-finger fillet.

Stealth
Concealing oneself by hiding from sight, moving silently, controlling breathing, or spotting a moment to slip away.

Survival
Tracking, hunting, predicting weather, maintaining landmarks, or recognizing natural hazards.

EDIT: Removed javelin due to redundancy
EDIT2: Changed ability checks to "roll under stat" instead of "roll over target number"

I dropped a few of those hilariously pointless languages from the 2E MM in there :D (roper won out over owlbear because they're more intelligent :p)

Anyway, once I'd settled on how to handle proficiency, this was a pretty straight-forward chapter. I'll need to actually play with it to see how it runs in practice, but at least it's a starting point.

Last edited:

ash adler

Validated User
I've been dreading this chapter, but let's get it over with. Chapter 6: Nothing But Tableso_O The Shopping Chattel:oops: Money and Equipment

Chapter 6: Money and Equipment
All characters start with 3d8 x 10 GP. Standard currency exchange rates are shown in Table 31.

Code:
Coin Type        Exchange Value
                 CP       SP        EP        GP        PP
Copper (CP)      1        0.1       0.02      0.01      0.002
Silver (SP)      10       1         0.2       0.1       0.02
Electrum (EP)    50       5         1         0.5       0.1
Gold (GP)        100      10        2         1         0.2
Platinum (PP)    500      50        10        5         1
Table 31: Standard Currency Exchange Rates

Weapons
Code:
Weapon Type        Damage                Cost    Weight        Properties
Short Blades
Dagger             1d4 piercing          3 GP    1 lbs.        Small, Throwable
Short Sword        1d6 piercing          10 GP   5 lbs.        Small
Sickle             1d4+1 slashing        1 GP    1 lbs.        Small
Long Blades
Bastard Sword      2d4 slashing          25 GP   10 lbs.       Medium, Versatile
Long Sword         1d8 slashing          20 GP   10 lbs.       Medium
Great Sword        1d10 slashing         35 GP   15 lbs.       Large
Simple Blunt
Club               1d4 bludgeoning       Free    3 lbs.        Small, Throwable
Mace               1d6 bludgeoning       5 GP    5 lbs.        Medium
Quarterstaff       1d6 bludgeoning       Free    5 lbs.        Large
War Hammer         1d4+1 bludgeoning     5 GP    3 lbs.        Medium, Throwable
Hafted
Battle Axe         1d8 slashing          15 GP   10 lbs.       Medium, Versatile
Flail              1d6+1 bludgeoning     8 GP    10 lbs.       Medium
Hand Axe           1d6 slashing          3 GP    5 lbs.        Small, Throwable
Maul               1d10 bludgeoning      35 GP   20 lbs.       Large
Morning Star       2d4 pierce/blud.      15 GP   10 lbs.       Medium
Pole Weapons
Beaked Hammer      2d4 pierce/blud.      15 GP   15 lbs.       Large, Reach
Glaive             2d4 slashing          15 GP   10 lbs.       Large, Reach
Halberd            1d10 pierce/slash     20 GP   15 lbs.       Large, Reach, Set
Lance              1d8+1 piercing        20 GP   15 lbs.       Large, Reach, Joust
Pike               2d4 piercing          15 GP   10 lbs.       Large, Reach, Set
Spear              1d6 piercing          5 GP    5 lbs.        Medium, Throwable, Set
Exotic
Mancatcher         1d2 piercing          35 GP   10 lbs.       Large, Reach, Trap
Net                -                     3 GP    1 lbs.        Medium, Throwable, Trap
Scourge            1d4 slashing          3 GP    3 lbs.        Small
Whip               1d3 slashing          1 GP    3 lbs.        Medium, Reach
Table 32: Melee Weapons

Code:
Weapon Type             Damage             Range      ROF        Cost     Weight        Properties
Bows
Short Bow               1d6 piercing        50 ft.    2/1        25 GP    2 lbs.        Medium
Long Bow                1d8 piercing        70 ft.    2/1        50 GP    3 lbs.        Large
Composite Short Bow     1d6 piercing        50 ft.    2/1        75 GP    2 lbs.        Medium, Pull
Composite Long Bow      1d8 piercing        70 ft.    2/1        100 GP   3 lbs.        Large, Pull
Light Crossbow          1d6+1 piercing      60 ft.    1/1        15 GP    10 lbs.       Medium
Heavy Crossbow          1d8+1 piercing      80 ft.    1/2        20 GP    15 lbs.       Medium
Hand Crossbow           1d3 piercing        30 ft.    1/1        100 GP   5 lbs.        Small
Missile
Blowgun                 1d3 piercing        30 ft.    2/1        10 GP    1 lbs.        Medium
Dart                    1d3 piercing        15 ft.    3/1        1 GP     0.5 lbs.      Small
Sling                   1d4 bludgeoning     40 ft.    1/1        2 GP     0.5 lbs.      Small
Throwable
Club                    1d4 bludgeoning     10 ft.    1/1        Free    3 lbs.         Small, Throwable
Dagger                  1d4 piercing        10 ft.    2/1        3 GP    1 lbs.         Small, Throwable
Hand Axe                1d6 slashing        10 ft.    1/1        3 GP    5 lbs.         Small, Throwable
Net                     -                   15 ft.    1/1        3 GP    1 lbs.         Medium, Throwable, Trap
Spear                   1d6 piercing        20 ft.    1/1        5 GP    5 lbs.         Medium, Throwable, Set
War Hammer              1d4+1 bludgeoning   15 ft.    1/1        5 GP    3 lbs.         Medium, Throwable
Table 33: Ranged Weapons

Code:
Item                Cost    Weight (Total)
Arrows (10)         3 GP    5 lbs.
Blowgun Darts (10)  1 GP    1 lbs.
Quarrels (10)       3 GP    1 lbs.
Sling Bullets (10)  Free    5 lbs.
Table 34: Ranged Ammunition

Small
This weapon can be used one-handed by any race.

Medium
This weapon can be used one-handed by Medium races or two-handed by Small races.

Large
This weapon can be used two-handed by Medium races. It cannot be used by Small races.

Joust
This weapon deals double damage if used while riding on a charging mount.

Pull
This weapon can benefit from Strength modifier added to the damage roll.

Range
Attacking from 5 feet to “Range” away from the target is down as normal. Attacking from “Range” to 2 X “Range” away from the target imposes -2 to the attack roll. Attacking from 2 X “Range” to 3 X “Range” from the target imposes -5 to the attack roll. 3 X “Range” is the weapon’s maximum range.

Reach
This weapon adds 5 feet to the character’s melee attack range.

Set
This weapon can be set to deliver double damage to charging opponents and dismount riders.

Throwable
This weapon may be used as a missile weapon, adding Strength or Dexterity modifier to the attack roll and Strength modifier to the damage roll.

Trap
On a hit, this weapon inflicts the Restrained condition, dismounts riders, and cannot be used to target another opponent. The victim can use its round to escape with a Strength ability check, destroying the weapon on a success.

Versatile
This weapon inflicts +1 damage if used two-handed.

Armors
Wearing an armor type that the character is not trained in imposes disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws and prevents spellcasting.

Code:
Armor Type        Armor Class      Cost         Weight*
Light Armor
Padded                11            4 GP        10 lbs.
Leather               12            6 GP        15 lbs.
Studded Leather       13            30 GP       20 lbs.
Medium Armor
Hide                  14            50 GP       25 lbs.
Chain Mail            15            70 GP       30 lbs.
Scale Mail            16            100 GP      40 lbs.
Heavy Armor
Plate Mail            17            450 GP      50 lbs.
Field Plate           18            2,000 GP    60 lbs.
Full Plate            19            4,000 GP    70 lbs.
Shields
Normal Shield         +1            10 GP       10 lbs.
Tower Shield          +1**          15 GP       15 lbs.
Table 35: Armor
*: Magical armor weighs half as much.
**: Ranged attack rolls against a tower shield-user have disadvantage.

Light armor takes 2 rounds to put on and 1 round to take off. Medium armor takes 4 rounds to put on and 1 round to take off. Heavy armor takes 10 rounds to put on and 2 rounds to take off. The dressing times can be cut in half if another character assists, and heavy armor may be removed in 1 round by cutting its straps.

At the player’s option, cutting the straps from heavy armor may reduce it to padded armor.

Shields take 1 round to put on and 1 round to remove and stow, or they may be cast aside for negligible time spent. The Armor Class bonus from shields only applies to attacks from the front or flanks.

Clothing
Code:
Item            Cost    Weight
Boots            5 GP    3 lbs.
Cloak            1 GP    2 lbs.
Clothes, Common  5 GP    4 lbs.
Clothes, Fine    10 GP   6 lbs.
Clothes, Formal  30 GP   8 lbs.
Gloves           1 GP    1 lbs.
Table 36: Clothing

Equipment Pack
This is an assortment of general equipment, costing 12 GP, weighing 65 lbs., and containing:
  • Backpack (30 lbs. capacity)
  • Bedroll
  • Crowbar
  • Flint and Steel
  • Grappling Hook
  • Hammer
  • Iron Spikes (10)
  • Pole (10 feet)
  • Pouch (5 lbs. capacity)
  • Rations, Preserved (2 days)
  • Rope, Hemp (50 feet)
  • Torches (5)
  • Waterskin (1 gallon capacity)
Miscellaneous Equipment
Code:
Item                            Cost        Weight
Backpack (30 lbs. capacity)     2 GP        2 lbs.
Barrel (40 lbs. capacity)       2 GP        30 lbs.
Bedroll                         1 GP        5 lbs.
Bell                            1 GP        0.5 lbs.
Candle                          1 CP        0.1 lbs.
Chain (10 feet)                 30 GP       10 lbs.
Chalk                           1 CP        0.1 lbs.
Chest (100 lbs. capacity)       2 GP        25 lbs.
Crowbar                         2 SP        5 lbs.
Flint and Steel                 2 GP        0.1 lbs.
Glass Bottle                    2 GP        0.5 lbs.
Grappling Hook                  1 GP        4 lbs.
Hammer                          1 GP        3 lbs.
Holy Symbol, Wooden             1 GP        1 lbs.
Holy Symbol, Silver             25 GP       1 lbs.
Ink Bottle                      10 GP       0.1 lbs.
Ink Pen                         5 CP        0.1 lbs.
Iron Spikes (10)                1 GP        10 lbs.
Ladder (10 feet)                5 SP        20 lbs.
Lamp                            5 SP        1 lbs.
Lantern, Bullseye               10 GP       2 lbs.
Lantern, Hooded                  5 GP       2 lbs.
Lock, Simple                    10 GP       1 lbs.
Manacles                        15 GP       6 lbs.
Map Case                        1 GP        1 lbs.
Mirror, Small Steel             10 GP       0.5 lbs.
Oil Flask                       6 CP        1 lbs.
Paper (1 sheet)                 2 SP        -
Pole (10 feet)                  2 SP        8 lbs.
Portable Ram                    5 GP        35 lbs.
Pouch (5 lbs. capacity)         5 SP        1 lbs.
Rations, Preserved (1 day)      5 SP        2 lbs.
Rations, Standard (1 day)       2 SP        2 lbs.
Rope, Hemp (50 feet)            1 GP        10 lbs.
Rope, Silk (50 feet)            10 GP       5 lbs.
Sack (30 lbs. capacity)         2 SP        0.5 lbs.
Sealing Wax                     1 GP        1 lbs.
Shovel                          2 GP        5 lbs.
Signal Whistle                  1 SP        -
Signet Ring                     5 GP        -
Soap                            5 SP        1 lbs.
Tent (2 person)                 10 GP       20 lbs.
Thieves’ Tools                  25 GP       1 lbs.
Tinderbox                       5 SP        1 lbs.
Torch                           1 CP        1 lbs.
Vial, Acid                      25 GP       2 lbs.
Vial, Flaming Oil               25 GP       2 lbs.
Vial, Holy Water                25 GP       2 lbs.
Vial, Perfume                   5 GP        0.1 lbs.
Waterskin (1 gallon capacity)   1 GP        4 lbs.
Whetstone                       2 CP        1 lbs.
Table 37: Miscellaneous Equipment

Candle: Produces bright light for 5 feet and dim light for an additional 5 feet, lasting 1 hour.

Holy Item: Material component for some Priest spells. It is not consumed in the casting unless noted otherwise in the spell’s description.

Lamp: Produces bright light for 10 feet and dim light for an additional 10 feet, lasting 2 hours per flask.

Lantern, Bullseye: Produces a cone of bright light for 30 feet and dim light for an additional 30 feet, lasting 2 hours per flask.

Lantern, Hooded: Produces bright light for 30 feet and dim light for an additional 30 feet, lasting 2 hours per flask. Lowering the hood reduces this to only dim light for 5 feet.

Lock: Simple locks can be picked by a Sleight of Hand(Dexterity) skill check with thieves’ tools.

Map Case: A leather case that can hold 10 sheets of paper.

Portable Ram: Provides a +2 bonus to “Open Doors” rolls (see Table 2).

Rations: Preserved rations last for three times as long as standard, but they taste bad.

Torch: Provides bright light for 15 feet and dim light for an additional 15 feet, lasting 30 minutes.

Vial: Acid, flaming oil, and holy water may be thrown at appropriate targets to deal 2d6 acid, fire, or radiant damage (respectively) on a hit and 1d6 further damage on the following round.

Mounts and Vehicles
Code:
Animal            Cost        Speed        Capacity
Camel             50 GP       50 ft.        500 lbs.
Donkey/Mule       8 GP        40 ft.        400 lbs.
Elephant, Labor   200 GP      40 ft.        1,300 lbs.
Horse, Draft      50 GP       40 ft.        550 lbs.
Horse, Riding     75 GP       60 ft.        500 lbs.
Horse, War        400 GP      60 ft.        550 lbs.
Ox                15 GP       40 ft.        450 lbs.
Pony              30 GP       40 ft.        250 lbs.
Table 38: Mounts

Code:
Vehicle            Cost         Speed
Canoe              50 GP        10 ft.
Carriage           100 GP       40 ft.
Galleon            30,000 GP    40 ft.
Longboat           10,000 GP    30 ft.
Row Boat           50 GP        15 ft.
Sailing Ship       10,000 GP    20 ft.
Wagon              35 GP        40 ft.
War Chariot        500 GP       60 ft.
Table 39: Vehicles

Carrying Capacity and Movement Speed
A character can carry up to 10 times their Strength score in pounds without affecting their movement speed. Characters exceeding this burden drop to half movement speed. A character's maximum carrying capacity is 15 times their Strength score.

Characters can push, pull, or drag up to twice their maximum carrying capacity. While moving weight in excess of their maximum carrying capacity, their speed drops to 5 feet.

Part of me wants to get rid of copper and make electrum the new penny, but that's the sort of thing that'd be tempting unnecessary confusion if other people were to try using this system.

I'm well aware that there are some objectively better/worse values in the weapons. I'm fine with this, since the difference in cost between them is pretty much negligible once you do some adventuring.

I wonder how often people actually use mancatchers and nets. I'm also surprised that nets weren't actually in the 2E. That's been a signature sahuagin weapon since U3 :unsure:

Did anyone else always make sure to buy gloves and boots? Similarly, how often did anyone actually buy one of those big ships instead of getting a free one from an adventure like U1?

ANYWAY, glad that one's done. I'll need to revisit it to add in some item descriptions and fill in lighting information for lanterns/torches/etc., but all in all, this is probably the most tedious chapter done (I'm counting spell lists as appendices :LOL:). It should be mostly downhill from here for a while, so I might get to start testing out how this all works soon :D
EDIT: Added an explanation for "Range" of ranged weapons, a note about cutting straps on heavy armor, and sundry details for misc. equipment.
EDIT2: Added waterskin capacity.
EDIT3: Updated for revised ability check system.

Last edited:

D. Archon

Error 404
Validated User
Honestly it's just easier to take the 5E framework, strip out feats (which are optional anyway) and also ditch skills (and use a straight roll against a stat that seems relevant) instasd of going through all of this other work.

ash adler

Validated User
Except that's just 5E without skills...? If that was all I wanted, I would've done it in my head.

What I want is 2E with cleaner mechanics taken from 3E/5E (plus a few personal touches). Maybe I'm missing what you're trying to say, but all the stuff like old school Vancian magic, martials without pages of ribbons, a combat framework designed around single-action rounds with side initiative rolled each round after actions are declared are desired features. Old school monster stat blocks are a target. Easy integration with old modules like L1, N1, B2, HHQ series, Night Below, etc. is a target. A presentation that covers what it needs to without taking up 900 pages spread across 3 books is a target. And the end goal is to have a package that I can pass on to someone who wants to make her own PCs and to be a GM (probably not as the same time :LOL:) but finds 5E unapproachably complicated despite being a very intelligent and capable person.

Top Bottom