• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

2nd Edition AD&D-clone with 3rd/5th Edition SRD

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
That's fine. It was something that has bugged me in other games where there is no room to actually write what the ability is. Just giving more space works better. And yeah, the notes section can be used for that.

It's not mandatory... just a style thing. :)

ash adler

Validated User
I know it's not an absolute must, but I agree with that point. One of things that I really dislike about the default 5E character sheets is how little space they leave for writing any details about abilities.

Main sheet Rev 2
Second sheet Rev 2

Hmmm...you know, looking at it now, I realize that I forgot to include a space for recording carrying weight and capacity. Either top-right or bottom-left of the inventory space seems like the sensible place to put that at first glance, though that tempts me to move the inventory back onto the first sheet so that it's on the same sheet as movement speed.

Well, I suppose thinking some more on the layout can happen in the back of my mind while I'm prettying up the rules document.

ash adler

Validated User
In going through the rules to reorganize, smooth the prose, and try to fix any mistakes, I broke up the "Adventuring" chapter into "General Rules" (for stuff that's important but doesn't clearly fit anywhere else) and "Adventuring" (for defining encounter/adventure/campaign and providing examples of play). Still working on the final section of the latter (I really liked how the S&W rules included a multi-part example and want to take a similar approach), but here's the former:
Spoiler: Show

Chapter 7: General Rules

“I see the truth at the heart of all things. Know that, and be judged!”
-The Adjudicator

This chapter presents some generalities which may touch on multiple facets of play. Following chapters are more focused in their scope to make it easier to find specific rules.

Rulings
At the risk of sounding reductive, this book is essentially a collection of various rules. However, it does not attempt to be comprehensive. There is enough to lay a foundation for play and to provide rules/guidelines for common situations that may be problematic to address without guidance. Beyond that, it is left to the GM to come up with their own rulings when the need comes up. To aid in those efforts, consider the following advice:

1. Rulings should be fast.
The need for a ruling comes up because something has to be resolved. Play is suspended until the resolution happens. Thus, it is better to make a quick decision that allows play to resume than to delay for the perfect solution. If an automatic success or failure would be reasonable, that is ideal. Otherwise, a single roll, such as an ability check with a modifier based on a general overview of the situation, is the next best option.

2. Rulings should have the minimum complexity necessary to give intuitive chances of success.
If a roll is required, a flat chance (e.g. 1-in-6 or 3-in-10) is suggested if a character’s ability scores would be unlikely to affect the outcome. Otherwise, it should fit with the standard resolution mechanics: use attack rolls for assaulting a creature/object, saving throws for resisting external effects, and ability checks for most anything else. Table 29 can be used as a guide for applying a modifier. Complex rolls (like 2d6) are generally not recommended as gauging the odds in the heat of the moment can be more difficult than with the simpler rolls.

3. Rulings should use existing rules and precedent as a basis.
If the situation seems analogous to one covered with an existing rule, use that as a guideline. If a ruling had been made earlier for the same situation, follow the same approach. The exception is if the GM thought of a better way of handling it afterwards, which should be communicated to the players as well, as they rely on existing rules and ruling precedents to help them decide on their actions.

4. Players should respect the GM’s rulings.
Other than perhaps pointing out a significant oversight, players should not dispute a ruling once the GM has decided on it. Rulings all fall into a grey area without definitive right and wrong, so arguing about them rarely accomplishes more than wasting time and causing frustration. If they have a concern about the precedent set by a specific ruling, that should be noted for discussion after the play session has concluded.

Specific Trumps General
Due to the infinite complexity of situations that may come up, it is possible that multiple rules may seem applicable to a single situation. When a specific rule and a general rule conflict, the specific rule takes precedence. When multiple specific rules conflict, the GM decides how to resolve them.

Round Fractions Down
Some rules call for division, such as many spells inflicting halved damage on a successful saving throw or the scaling saving throw penalty from the Ranger’s Natural Empathy ability. Unless noted otherwise, any factions should be rounded down to a whole number.

Only Roll When It Matters
As mentioned on page 2, rolls are only needed when an action has a chance of failure and a cost to prevent simply trying repeatedly until succeeding. In a dangerous environment, common costs may be getting lost, alerting others of the PC’s presence, and/or a random encounter check. In a safe environment, common costs may be offending NPCs and/or wasting resources. If there is a chance of success and there are no costs associated with failure, assume the PC tries the action until they succeed.

Advantage and Disadvantage
Due to class abilities, magical influence, or other special circumstances, characters may have “advantage” or “disadvantage” on a roll. In these cases, roll one additional die. Drop the worst result for advantage; drop the best result for disadvantage. Advantage stacks with skill proficiency (i.e. roll 4d10 and use the lowest two).

Advantage/disadvantage never goes beyond one additional die. If circumstances dictate that both apply, they cancel out, no matter how many circumstances would cause one or the other.

Working Together
If multiple characters work together for an ability check where only a single success is required (e.g. pushing a boulder over a cliff or watching for thin ice while crossing a frozen river), the ability check is made by the character leading the attempt, with a bonus equal to the sum of the relevant ability score modifiers of all the helpers (min. +1/helper). This assumes that the helpers can provide meaningful contribution (e.g. the helper bonus could apply for cooking a meal together but not for picking a typical lock).

If the roll would be a special check based on an ability score, the bonus is instead added to the ability score of the character leading the attempt. For example, if a PC with 10 Strength and a PC with 13 Strength are helping a PC with 16 Strength to force a barred door open (a difficult “Open Doors” check per Table 2), a single 2d6 roll would be made as if by a character with 18 Strength, succeeding on a roll of 12. A longshot, no doubt, but one which none of the PCs could manage alone!

If multiple characters work together for an ability check where any failure would offset others’ successes (e.g. climbing over an alley wall to escape pursuit or sneaking across a courtyard), the character with the worst ability score makes the ability check (treat skill proficiency as a +4 bonus for this comparison). Other characters may help, as above.

In either case, if the ability check is based on a skill, only characters with proficiency in the skill may help. Others lack the training to contribute effectively in a situation that justifies rolling the check.

Judging how to apply situational modifiers that are affecting only some members of the group is left to the GM’s discretion.

Food and Water
A character eats 2 lbs. of food per day. They may subsist on 1 lbs. of food, but this counts as half a day without food. After 3+Constitution modifier (min. 1) days without food, they suffer one level of exhaustion for each additional day without food. A normal day of eating resets this count.

A character drinks 1 gallon of water per day. This may increase in especially hot conditions. If they cannot meet at least half of their daily water requirement, they suffer one level of exhaustion.

If the character has at least two levels of exhaustion already, the rate of additional exhaustion from starving or dehydration doubles.

Resting
A “long rest” is an 8-hour period of extended downtime (such as sleeping or standing watch). If interrupted by at least 1 hour of significant activity (such as fighting or walking), the long rest must be restarted. A character who goes for more than 24 hours without a long rest suffers one level of exhaustion.

Finishing a long rest restores all expended spell slots, if applicable. Finishing a long rest also recovers one level of exhaustion if the character had sufficient food and water for the day. A character can benefit from a long rest only once per 24 hours.

Natural Healing
A character’s natural rate of healing is 1 hit point per day. If a character has complete bed rest, they heal 1 Hit Dice (including Constitution modifier, if applicable) worth of hit points per day. A character resting for four weeks heals fully regardless of their hit point total.

Natural healing does not occur if the character is lacking adequate food, water, or rest.

Falling Damage
Falling more than 5 feet deals 1d6 damage for the first 10 feet plus an additional 1d6 damage for each 10 feet further, to a maximum of 20d6. For example, a 32-foot fall deals 3d6 damage. This is raw damage (see Damage Types).

I've been putting little flavorful quotes at the start of each chapter (and also with race/class details). I think it helps to break up the dryness of the text and provides some fluff in an unobtrusive manner that's easy for other people to ignore :). I also imagine it'll be fun for my players to see references to some of their characters :p

Advantage/disadvantage is mostly unchanged from before, save for clarifying that it's separate from and cumulative with skill proficiency. Work together is changed to a single best/worst roll (i.e. no RAW separation of "helping a single check" and "making a group check"), and the interaction of helpers with special tabulated checks is clarified. Sustenance and resting are basically unchanged. Natural healing and falling damage are also included here, as "Combat" didn't seem like the right place for them, with minimal changes.

Mostly, I wanted to share what felt like a notable addition as I continue to crunch through what's mostly formatting/editing. Once I finish the main chapters, I'll make an initial PDF. It won't be complete (appendices for spell descriptions, bestiary, treasure, magic items, and encounter/adventure design are very much WIP at the moment), but the rules of For Gold & Glory are available for free to fill in those gaps, in case anyone wants to try running this system before it's complete.

ash adler

Validated User
Compiled PDF is ready!

There are a fair number of rules tweaks from what was posted in this thread, along with a lot of general reorganization and clean-up to improve usability and correct errors (like mixing up the sapper melee and explosive saving throws for Fortifications :cautious:). Slightly revised character sheets are also in there.

I'll open up the licensing once I've got it updated to fill in the rest of the appendices. Not that I'm REALLY expecting a lot of other people to make use of it, but just in case, I'd prefer to keep it in my hands until it's complete. On the other hand, I'd love any feedback, even if it's just a matter of pointing out certain rules or guidelines that you like/hate/think are interesting/think are bad/etc. :). It's unfair to compare it to books that are out there since I don't have space taken up with art, but I think it's a fairly light document (player-focused content aside from spells is about 50 pages, which is similar to the Swords & Wizardry Complete rules.

ash adler

Validated User
New version uploaded! (The link is the same as last time, but putting it in this post will make it easier for others than pointing up a post :p)

Well, after crunching through the numbers using (more or less) average values, my theory that the standard 2E treasure tables would cluster broadly around poor/medium/rich results turned out to be true, so it facilitated the change that I wanted to make to those. The new PDF has my conversion to using 18 treasure categories split along poor/medium/rich results for cash/magic consumables/magic equipment for individuals/hordes. I also did a miniature overhaul of the art object results, because the 2E DMG was quite woeful for that. The treasure entries in the bestiary are updated to suit, along with a wee bit of additional fleshing out there.

Still not 100% self-sufficient, but getting the treasure tables worked out felt like a big step in that direction. Perhaps more significantly, all 1st level spell descriptions are added now (as are all of the potion, scroll, and rod descriptions). Sure, in return, I added a few more planned entries to the bestiary like gorgons and serpentfolk, but on the whole, it's a significant advancement towards having things in a state from which others could run it for themselves, if they so choose.

SignoreDellaGuerra

Audii alteram partem
Validated User
The problem I've got with D&D, across versions, is the lack of a unified system.
Even from v3.x onwards, with the unified d20 mechanic, they shot themselves in the foot with feats.

I found AD&D messy, and too many subsystem used. That said, good luck with your project.

Last edited:

ash adler

Validated User
Thanks for the well-wishing :)

That's part of why I used the 2nd edition mechanics as my launching point instead of 1st edition; it's still something of an ad hoc hodgepodge, but it's got some degree of organization and clarification put into it. Of course, in return, it has a ridiculous glut of spells. I was tempted to cut back on that, but I ended up gritting it out and keeping the whole thing, since it'd be a one-time time investment (or at worst two-time, including a proofreading pass) that'd pay off with more variety for scrolls and charged magic items.

SignoreDellaGuerra

Audii alteram partem
Validated User
I really appreciate the amount of work you have done up to now.
I was looking at the book you posted, and looks very good (y)

ash adler

Validated User
Thanks for the kind words :). Honestly, though, a lot of the credit should go towards my players for being so satisfying to GM for. 99% of my motivation for this is to do the best that I can for them.

Speaking of which, I started up a new group with a couple of novice players at my day job. It's a nice opportunity for some further playtesting of the sample adventures :p. My aim is to have those in the next PDF update, along with the completed spell details (which are fully transcribed) and some further bestiary information (primarily for whatever creatures I'm using in those adventures). I used the random treasure/room filling tables for them and came away pretty satisfied with the results, albeit with a couple of caveats to that statement:
1. I use the room filling results as a total budget to disperse around a dungeon, rather than being married to using them for each specific room, so it's not unusual for me to combine a "creature treasure" and "random room treasure" into a work of art or the like.
2. This ended up with me having a scroll of Polymorph Any Object in an introductory adventure! (though, while that sounds crazy, it actually fit extremely well with the adventure itself, so I resisted the temptation to downgrade it :LOL:) (plus the scroll is in a hoard near the end, in a room that can potentially release a 10 HD monster, so unless make it that far and don't decide to use it on the otherwise-overpowered adversaries therein, they won't have it for the future anyway)

I haven't worked on magic items any more so far, but I plan on including something similar to the classic artifact/relic-generation tables for weapons and armors, where each "plus" will get to roll for powers and drawbacks (I'm thinking higher "plus" tables can include a chance to roll multiple times on a lower table as a shortcut for minor powers, to cut down on the total number needed). I'm not entirely settled on what to do about special properties like "flaming" or "holy". Obviously, they'll include a guaranteed ability (or multiple) on their own, but whether to count that as one of the "plus" table rolls or not...? I'm leaning in favor of yes, since the "plus" tables will be a boost over the baseline game already, but I suppose it'll depend on what I actually come up with for those tables.

A proofreading pass will also be needed at some point in time, since giving it out to other people did reveal some typos/inconsistencies, along with errors like the adventuring pack in the equipment not matching up with buying all of the items individually (I'll probably do some other changes with that chapter like revise the adventuring pack into a few smaller packs, having 3 steps of encumbrance instead of just 2, and maybe adopting a simplified weight measure like Delta's stones or LotFP's burdens...but I digress). Again, it's not that I'm expecting people to run this RAW, but I want to put forth a clean package that just might give people ideas to add to their own games. I'm thinking that'll also be a decent excuse to do some chapter-by-chapter design notes and intentions posts on my blog, which seems fun in a self-indulgent way :p

Top Bottom