• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[3.5] Confusion about the Half-Celestial template

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A friend is running a 3.5 game this coming Saturday, set at level 12, where we'll be facing off against demons and devils. I'm planning on playing a Barbarian, with levels of Champion of Gwynhyfwar (from BoED), but I'm also interested in applying the Half Celestial template (I don't know what my base race will be, probably human, but certainly +0 LA).

However, the rules on templates are confusing me somewhat. The template in the MM says that it's +4LA, but the BoED says that it's only +2LA if the base race is +0. Is this just a case of the BoED offering an optional rule to make playing a half-celestial easier, and I should ask my GM if it's OK to use?

Secondly, how exactly do I apply the template (I've never got the hang of templates in 3.5)? For the spell-like abilities table, do I use the HD of my base race (0) or my final HD (10?) to determine which spells I get (similarly for working out my DR and SR)? Regarding skills, I have no racial HD (only class HD), so I can safely ignore the section on skills?

Thanks in advance!

CazEnt

Retired User
Is this just a case of the BoED offering an optional rule to make playing a half-celestial easier, and I should ask my GM if it's OK to use?
That's it exactly.

For the spell-like abilities table, do I use the HD of my base race (0) or my final HD (10?) to determine which spells I get (similarly for working out my DR and SR)?
Total (final) HD, if memory serves me well. I haven't used third edition templates for a while, so I hope you get a second opinion!

Regarding skills, I have no racial HD (only class HD), so I can safely ignore the section on skills?
Pretty sure, yep.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's it exactly.

Total (final) HD, if memory serves me well. I haven't used third edition templates for a while, so I hope you get a second opinion!

Pretty sure, yep.
Thanks for the speedy reply :). Looking over the template, I really don't think my GM will let me take it for only +2LA (+4 to three stats! SR!) so the question may be moot anyway.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Looking over the template, I really don't think my GM will let me take it for only +2LA (+4 to three stats! SR!) so the question may be moot anyway.
Yes, it's considerably out of whack at +2 LA. Though any LA hurts, especially for casters.

Otherwise, I concur. DCs are based on total hit dice, and the skill section is irrelevant if HD = 0.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That is correct, it's an optional thing. However, with a +4 LA you might find yourself a bit out of your league. 4 levels behind is a big hit, and those big stats and other goodies won't quite make up for the difference. Maybe ask your GM if you can split the difference and go with +3 LA?

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, I'll have a chat with the GM after I've had a think about how many levels I'd be willing to lose.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Have you thought about maybe going with something like an Aasimar instead? Actually, if you wanted to get a bit fun, why not go with a Lumi (MMIII)?

They get +2 Str, +4 Con and Wis, and -2 Dex. They're only +2 LA and come with 2 Outsider hit dice (very handy).

They're all about positive energy and get immunities to death spells, death effects, energy drain, and negative energy effects. They also get light at will, and cure light wounds and glitterdust 3/day

Granted their heads float above their bodies, but that's kind of fun.

Actually, what about using the Celestial Template? That's only a +2 LA and it still offers some pretty nice bennies. SR 15, smite evil, DR 5/magic, and Acid, Cold, and Electricity resist 10. It's not a ton of stuff, but that is pretty decent for only 2 levels. And ask if your GM would let you use the Level Adjustment buy off from Unearthed Arcana.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
Have you thought about maybe going with something like an Aasimar instead? Actually, if you wanted to get a bit fun, why not go with a Lumi (MMIII)?

They get +2 Str, +4 Con and Wis, and -2 Dex. They're only +2 LA and come with 2 Outsider hit dice (very handy).
Not that handy, it bumps up the ECL.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User

They're all about positive energy and get immunities to death spells, death effects, energy drain, and negative energy effects. They also get light at will, and cure light wounds and glitterdust 3/day

Granted their heads float above their bodies, but that's kind of fun.

Actually, what about using the Celestial Template? That's only a +2 LA and it still offers some pretty nice bennies. SR 15, smite evil, DR 5/magic, and Acid, Cold, and Electricity resist 10. It's not a ton of stuff, but that is pretty decent for only 2 levels. And ask if your GM would let you use the Level Adjustment buy off from Unearthed Arcana.
Hmm, those sound interesting. I'll have to check about LA buy off as well then. So many choice though :)

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not that handy, it bumps up the ECL.
True, but Outsider Hit Dice are actually really good, what with a full BAB, 3 good saves, and a good amount of skills and skill points. Plus you're an outsider, with all the benefits that type provides. I mean, it's better than an outright +4 LA, at least.

Top Bottom