[3.5] Psionics, yay? nay?

Agrias oaks

Holy Knight
Validated User
So, with the brand new semi-forums up, we dnd players can actually talk semi personally now. Or something like that.

Anyway, about 3 years ago, the expanded Psionics Handbook came out for 3.5 DnD, this included new races, some new classes, feats, and of course the Psionics System for 3.5. This one is much different from the 3.0 version, as it got rid of the clunky psionic combat of 3.0, streamlined the powers into a similar verion ala wizards, where they use 1 stat (For psions, Int, for Psychic warriors, Wis, for Wilders, Cha.), instead of spreading them out across all the stats.

What do you think of it? Do you use it? Do you like the system, but not the fluff? Do you think Psionics shouldn't belong in a fantasy setting? How do you use them in your game?

I like them, I think they are a great alternative to the core/vancian magic, and all-in-all, its one of the *best* 3.5 supplements released yet (IMO). I like the system and the fluff, and currently in my Eberron game the Dreaming dark is a major player and antagonist to the PC's (Though they don't know that yet. So far they have dealt mostly with Xoriat and the Daelkyr).

Share your thoughts, please!

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Nay for me. The flavor is alright, without being standout. But the system is just annoying. Every time I play in a group with a psionic PC it follows the same routine. Psionic PC goes nova and obliterates the first two encounters while overshadowing everyone else, then is useless for the next three encounters while the player whines about how we should stop and rest so he can recover his PP. It's a real pain.

If I want an alternate system, I'll go for Magic of Incarnum or Tome of Battle. Lots of fun and no problem with the nova effect.

Aurvandil

Nuke the whales!
Validated User
I like it.

The only thing I have a problem with is the psionic races. I felt they should have just given them prefered psionic classes, and not bonus power points. But then again, I prefer to think that all of the classes in D&D can be learned/taught, and not just inheriant.

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member
It's fine. I've used it in games I've run and games I've played in. It's a little powerful if you have very few encounters per day, and a little underpowered if you have lots of encounters per day.

It's just magic by another name, though it's not my favorite way of doing magic in d20. I prefer the Psychic's Handbook become True20 way of doing Skill based spellcasting.

Agrias oaks

Holy Knight
Validated User
Nay for me. The flavor is alright, without being standout. But the system is just annoying. Every time I play in a group with a psionic PC it follows the same routine. Psionic PC goes nova and obliterates the first two encounters while overshadowing everyone else, then is useless for the next three encounters while the player whines about how we should stop and rest so he can recover his PP. It's a real pain.

If I want an alternate system, I'll go for Magic of Incarnum or Tome of Battle. Lots of fun and no problem with the nova effect.
The Nova/not Nova problem is problematic for Psions, yes. That was the biggest thing I had to deal with when DMing for a Psion (and on a related note later on, a blasificer.). When personally playing a Psion, I try to make sure I don't go Nova and waste a bunch of Points overkilling everything in the fight, lest I become useless later on. As a DM, the best thing you can do for Nova-happy players is discuss the problem with them (Although honestly thats not a great solution.). As a player, try to divvy out your power points per day. Sure if you do that, you might not do as much damage as the wizard, but Psions are fairly versatile and most of their attacks can have their energy-type changed.

Aurvandil

Nuke the whales!
Validated User
They can also be subtle with use of other powers.

and if they nova, well, then, that's their problem, isn't it? ;)

Icon

Old enough to know better
Validated User
Saw that with the party wizard on Monday night. :D

Zeiram

PROPAGANDA, JUST A HIT!
Validated User
I haven't had much experience with the 3.5 Psionics... a couple NPCs with Psionic classes, playing in a game that had a psionic character. It seems fine for the lower-levels, but the augmenting of some powers seemed overpowered at high-levels (Ego Whip, for example).

Pete Whalley

Has Destrucity!
Validated User
I absolutley adore 3.5 psionics- and that's coming from someone who was previously a hater of them.

The flavour works for me, but mainly I like the way the feats interlock so wonderfully with powers (a bit like we're seeing now with Arcane Reserve feats) and the different options for classes. Add in the ability to tweak powers depending on how much you pump into them and I'm sold.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
What I'm wondering is, and a thread on EnWorld got me thinking about this, could you change Psionics to something a little more encountered based without too much work?

Drastically reduce PP, say, and let characters recharge with a few minutes of rest and meditation?

Top Bottom