• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

#32: All About Exalted 2e

xenongames

Roleplayer
Validated User
Power-gaming is fun. You get to kick ass mercilessly, you get to blow stuff up, and you get to leap through the air from tree to tree crossing swords with magical sword-wielding hot chicks. Does anything else even compare?
Ya, Hero. Or at least, fans of the Hero system would definitely say that it can do anything, so it certainly can do Exalted. There has to be some other appeal about Exalted (or WotG, for that matter) besides the raw powergaming element. If Exalted was done with Hero, with the same background, same artwork, same production qualities, and same power-gaming goodness, would it still be appealing?

Berkeley Hunt

Retired User
The binding

If you think the binding is better than any other RPG you have ever seen, you've obviously not seen too many RPG books.

smascrns

Banned
One of the intriguing things these last two months is that no one has posted a review of Exalted 2 at RPGnet. I was expecting to have the raving fan crowd russhing to see who would be the first but nada. I would like to read a proper review of the book - something that your sujective view in the column doesn't aim to be and is not. Oh, well.

bartkusa

Validated User
I disagree on the "content overload" thing. Creation is big, plus the Underworld and Yu-Shan. It's massive. I would be upset if there wasn't enough in the corebook to give you a good idea of how everything works. Besides, the core just details a handful of cities. There are still entire continent-sized areas which you can fill.

Karro

Validated User
One of the best things about the new Exalted is the elimination of many opposed rolls. Opposed rolls are a poor way to deal with opposed conflict.
Now... to be forthright, I've never played any White Wolf Games, neither Exalted (though all the hubbub has made me consider making a purchase, just to see what it's all about). But I don't understand this statement at all.

How are opposed rolls a poor way to deal with opposed conflict? When two characters are facing off against each other, there's a better way to test who's skills/abilities/whatever is better than... um... testing them against each other?

I can see that with roll-under mechanics this can sometimes prove cumbersome, but isn't Storyteller a roll-over dice pool?

Now... if this is meant that eliminating opposed rolls against static conflicts is a good idea (e.i., not against another character, but against nature or the inherrent difficulty of a task, it does make a poor model, imho).

morgonstjarnan

Banned
I agree with most points of the column, except for a few issues.

The fact that there's a whole lot of setting material just crammed in there is great. He forgot to mention the amazing art in enough detail (two-three paragraphs of fanboyism might do). The lack of making fun of the Games of Divinity, the dumbest idea in gaming since the rules system of the Elfquest RPG. Oh, and yes. The politics.. why, oh why, do powerless geeks need to gush and spout political dogma? Why?

Reminds me a bit of Sebastian LaCroix's comments about how for every decision made there are legions thinking the decision was made as a result of a whimsical dart toss, and how their own ideas are better. Humor.

Lethe

Deserve's got nothing to do with it
Validated User
Good review, but I'd like to see a little bit more of a comparison content wise with Exalted first edition.

From what I've heard that are a few minor rules changes to charms, some emphasis on social combat, and that's about it.

It doesn't sound like there's anything in the new edition to warrant a purchase if you have first edition, except for you really dig the art (which I don't).

ross_winn

freelance geek
Lethe said:
Good review, but I'd like to see a little bit more of a comparison content wise with Exalted first edition.

From what I've heard that are a few minor rules changes to charms, some emphasis on social combat, and that's about it.

It doesn't sound like there's anything in the new edition to warrant a purchase if you have first edition, except for you really dig the art (which I don't).
I think that not purchasing the new game would be almost criminal. The changes made are not minor, it is just that players of existing games are apt to ignore them.

ross_winn

freelance geek
morgonstjarnan said:
I agree with most points of the column, except for a few issues.

The fact that there's a whole lot of setting material just crammed in there is great. He forgot to mention the amazing art in enough detail (two-three paragraphs of fanboyism might do). The lack of making fun of the Games of Divinity, the dumbest idea in gaming since the rules system of the Elfquest RPG. Oh, and yes. The politics.. why, oh why, do powerless geeks need to gush and spout political dogma? Why?

Reminds me a bit of Sebastian LaCroix's comments about how for every decision made there are legions thinking the decision was made as a result of a whimsical dart toss, and how their own ideas are better. Humor.
Powerless geeks spout off about a lot of things, who knows. As for the art, I think that sayingthis is the best looking RPG product ever is pretty high praise. It just isn't very wordy.

Top Bottom