• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

3below trailer up.

Karanov

GAIA subsystem
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are a lot of things to love about this season of 3Below, but may I just say that I absolutely loved Zadra's red boots?

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
That was funny--as was the ending of the last episode. I was in stiches over Steve's reaction.

Also, I was rather happy that they didn't do a lot with the Trollhunters. I'd have liked to see Claire and Jim, but fundamentally, what's happening in Arcadia isn't their story and bringing them in would have diluted the thrust of this story. Having Toby and Arrrggghhh was enough of a bridge without giving a feeling of bringing the other group in solely to have them around.*

But now comes the negative parts of binging.

WHERE THE HELL IS WIZARDS! i WANT IT! I WANT IT!

*Also, Jim is probably one of the best fighters in the entire setting, and Claire has the hints of her magic--bringing them in might have run into the problem of "the guest stars are overshadowing the stars."

Estrecca

Validated User
I have quite a few things to say about season 2 of 3 Below and I am rather sorry to say that not very many of them are positive, from the fact that they didn't seem to know quite what to do with Zadra to the overall direction they decided to use for the plot.

However, since we don't want to delve in negativity, I will say that I liked Mother. Most everything involving that AI was solid stuff.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
At one point Nancy mentions that she was a spy in world war 1, and I'm like :unsure: "wait that makes her like 120 years old. Is she a wizard??"

But I can't tell if that was a deliberate hint or someone got the wrong war/she was goofing around/whatever.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
At one point Nancy mentions that she was a spy in world war 1, and I'm like :unsure: "wait that makes her like 120 years old. Is she a wizard??"

But I can't tell if that was a deliberate hint or someone got the wrong war/she was goofing around/whatever.
Dunno, on the other hand, in Trollhunters, she was surprisingly unsurprised and okay with "oh hey, the cop stumbled into our meeting; let's kill him and bury the body" plan.
There's also a picture of her dressed in 1920s flapper style in the house, which clearly dates her young adulthood to near WWI.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
One nice bit on Consent:
Warning: major spoilers.

Spoiler: Show
When Vex tries to sacrifice the parents, because it's the only wayh to save the children, he is slapped down hard.
But when the Queen and King are awakened and realize that they must die to save tehir children, they do it without hesitation. (It's actually a pretty heartbreaking scene because Krell and Aja are begging them to let them be the ones who die ). The point is made--however desperate he was, Vex didn't have the right to nominate someone as sacrifice--that was their decision.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finished up the season today, and man was that a fun ride. I quite enjoyed it and I'm very much looking forward to Wizards!

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
I finished up the season today, and man was that a fun ride. I quite enjoyed it and I'm very much looking forward to Wizards!
Spoiler: Show
I loved the cat.
"Why is he wearing glasses?"
"It's a talking cat and that's what you're asking?"
"Hey, I've seen trolls, aliens, alien gods... So YES! I want to know why the cat is wearing glasses."
And then Steve's 110 percent done reaction to "the world is about to end. For the third time."
Just loved it.

And the fact that Del Toro--and dreamworks didn't hesitate to go and flat out tell the kids watching this. "Accepting the stranger and the refugee is about who we are." If even one kid watching this looks at the stuff happening now and thinks: that's not right, than this show has done far more than many.

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
And the fact that Del Toro--and dreamworks didn't hesitate to go and flat out tell the kids watching this. "Accepting the stranger and the refugee is about who we are." If even one kid watching this looks at the stuff happening now and thinks: that's not right, than this show has done far more than many.
I haven't yet finished the season, but I love that, so far, it is absolutely unrepentant about the evils of xenophobia, and the parallels to current events are not at all subtle. All without losing the rollicking adventureness of it all.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Yep. and Senor Uhl is best teacher. I'm not kidding--it is one of hte very few shows who nail a teacher who isn't a monster who walks like a Teacher, isn't "a cool kid who can totally hang with you" popular teacher, but is a guy who is doing his job, trying to do it well, but is clearly aware of the social gap between him and his students--even if he's a papa bear when someone comes after them.

I should note that all of the teachers are well portrayed, which is a rarity in many shows.

Top Bottom