• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

3D Printers and Miniatures

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

So got my Ender 3 Pro today. Wasn't looking forward to building my printer. Wasn't that bad. (If you can build Lego kits or IKEA furniture, you have this in the bag.) But the setting up was very alien and not well documented. Youtube and 5 different videos and I'm supposedly printing something.

What's next then, grabbing some free STLs and putting them into Cura?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Enjoy! My friends adore their Ender 3 because you can tweak and fix and change everything.

Recently I've seen some nice resin printers, but the trick is the toxicity of them is much higher than the more common plastic ones. Quality is amazing though!

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
My plan is to play around with the tools, print some terrain and larger figs then get a resin printer in a year or so to print the then standard 40mm miniatures. ^_~

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My plan is to play around with the tools, print some terrain and larger figs then get a resin printer in a year or so to print the then standard 40mm miniatures. ^_~
That's a great plan :) I do the same: FDM for terrain or boardgame inserts, and resin for detailed minis. I'm in the middle of moving, but the next place will have a special place setup for both printers so it will be awesome :D

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
I’m surprised by the quality of the FDM prints. Not mistaking them for my Infinity minis, but good enough to hang with the Bones and Wizkids minis.

The learning curve is steep though. I’m getting a lot of failed prints and not sure why. One good print followed by a bad one. Lots now staying on the build plate. :(

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Issue with the build plate are usually:

- The build plate is dirty.
- Printing too fast.
- Sometimes temperature.

I nearly always print using rafts, and before I tried to print as fast as possible, and now I just take things slow, even if that means I'm printing "less". I get very few adhesion issues that way.

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
I always print with rafts and they are usually the first to "peel" off the bed before the print is finished.

The bed doesn't look dirty, though not sure how to clean it and lots of prints fail 2/3rds or more in by dancing around the print bed.

Not a tech support thread, but there is a lot to learn right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom