3rd Party 5e Settings - What's Out There?

ColinChapman

Mostly Retired Game Designer
Validated User
So, not remotely interested in FR, Ra enloft, or the new setting WotC are putting out. Don't have time to whip up my own either.

That leads me to wonder what third party 5e-specific settings are out there, what are they about, and what are they like? Maybe if we get enough replies here, it can even serve as a catalogue of sorts for the third party settings.

Libertad

Knight in tarnished armor
Validated User
I reviewed the Midgard Worldbook by Kobold Press on this very forum. It has system-based splatbooks improving on the base setting. For 5th Edition there's the Midgard Hero's Handbook plus a generous amount of support. Worldbook Link.

Hero's Handbook Link.

Primeval Thule has a 5th Edition version along with supplementary adventures. It's basically a mixture of D&D with classic sword & sorcery tropes. Bronze Age tech, tyrannical city-states surrounded by barbarian tribes and monstrous wilderness, ruins of ancient and alien civilizations, and all that good stuff.

The Scarred Land's Players Guide updates the eponymous setting for 5th Edition, but in spite of the name has a lot of DM-friendly information such as countries, adventure hooks, and monsters. It is sparsely supported but has a Slarecian Vault for professional community content.

Tal'Dorei, the setting of the Critical Role podcast, got a setting-based sourcebook. I do not watch the podcast so I cannot comment on the book.

Manastorm: the World of Shin'air looks like science-fantasy but I do not own the book.

Ponyfinder is a copyright-friendly My Little Pony. Is so named for originating as a Pathfinder setting, but got a dual-stat updated corebook.

Book of Exalted Darkness is a campaign where the PCs are the forces of evil scheming to bring down a celestial-ruled fantasy utopia with an early 20th-century science fiction vibe.

Pugmire is inspired by 5th Edition but departs from it in several ways. It's basically like Mouse Guard or Redwall but with dogs.

World of Farland is a typical fantasy setting but where evil won.

Mists of Akuma is Japanese Steampunk fantasy.

Amethyst-Quintessence is our world in the far future where extradimensional fantasy creatures are waged in war against the technologically-superior Earth natives.

Of the above, I have to say that Midgard is my favorite, although I like Scarred Lands and Primeval Thule as well.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
The Scarred Land's Players Guide updates the eponymous setting for 5th Edition, but in spite of the name has a lot of DM-friendly information such as countries, adventure hooks, and monsters. It is sparsely supported but has a Slarecian Vault for professional community content.
Although I wouldn't bother with it except for the stats. Some setting elements were arbitrarily changed, others were changed due to an updated timeline - but the baseline, original setting has the meatier hooks.

Last edited:

Allandaros

Active Ingredient
Validated User
The Hydra Cooperative has two 5e settings:

1) The Land of Azurth is a 5e setting focusing on American fantasy as inspiration, taking inspiration from L. Frank Baum to She-Ra to Adventure Time (and many points in between). There's currently one module and one gazetteer, with more on the way.

2) The Ultraviolet Grasslands is a very rules-light take on 5e, drawing inspiration from psychedelic heavy metal, Jack Vance, Moebius, and the Oregon Trail computer games. There's a free preview available (at link) of the combination module and gazetteer, with the first draft available to Patreon supporters of the author. A Kickstarter is coming soon for the full version of the book, and there are other modules being created as well.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
If you like Space Opera, Esper Genesis is good. It has reskinned the 5e ruleset to the genre but remained very close to the base rules set.

Top Bottom