• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Scutarii

Validated User
What can people tell me about Chaos Renegades?

I'm mostly interested in what units I can use in their armies as what I really want is to play an Imperial/Space Marine Force that has basically said...fuck it to Imperial authoritarianism and gone it alone but adding in some Chaos Stuff.

Hodden

The Great
Banned
Validated User

I'm mostly interested in what units I can use in their armies as what I really want is to play an Imperial/Space Marine Force that has basically said...fuck it to Imperial authoritarianism and gone it alone but adding in some Chaos Stuff.
When I built a Red Corsair army years ago I brought nearly as much from the Space Marine range as from the Chaos range and kitbashed them together. I used a metal working file to remove any Imperial eagles as roughly as possible.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User

Hodden's note that the two lines are pretty compatible is accurate, but also:
* Most of the Chaos Marine units are roughly analogous to loyalist units.
- Chaos Marine squads for Tactical Marines, although the Chaos version is more flexible
- Raptors for Assault Squads
- Havocs for Devastator Squads
- Chosen for Veteran Squads
- Chaos Terminators for both regular and Assault Terminators
- Warpsmith for Techmarine
- Lord and Champion for Force Commanders
- Sorcerer for Librarian
- Dark Apostle for Chaplain
- Helbrutes for Dreadnoughts
- Most of the tanks (Rhino, are just copied straight across, with a few variations in available upgrades.
For some reason, renegade Chapters who start poking at Chaos instantly lose access to Whirlwinds, Thunderfire Cannons (or whatever they're called), Stalkers, Land Speeders and a few other things.

* If you need to fill a battlefield role that Chaos doesn't really do with its ex-Imperial surplus, such as anti-air (Chaos's main anti-air is still, I believe, the Heldrake), I believe you're still allowed to ally in a Renegade Knight.
* Cultists could be justified as Guardsmen who got dragged along, Chapter Serfs, or other expendable units.
* If you want to run some of the weirder elements - daemon engines, for example, or Warp Talons - you could flavour that as an alliance of convenience with a more Chaotic renegade force, and paint them in a different scheme. Or you could use it as a mark of growing corruption.

Scutarii

Validated User
When I built a Red Corsair army years ago I brought nearly as much from the Space Marine range as from the Chaos range and kitbashed them together. I used a metal working file to remove any Imperial eagles as roughly as possible.
Hodden's note that the two lines are pretty compatible is accurate, but also:
* Most of the Chaos Marine units are roughly analogous to loyalist units.
- Chaos Marine squads for Tactical Marines, although the Chaos version is more flexible
- Raptors for Assault Squads
- Havocs for Devastator Squads
- Chosen for Veteran Squads
- Chaos Terminators for both regular and Assault Terminators
- Warpsmith for Techmarine
- Lord and Champion for Force Commanders
- Sorcerer for Librarian
- Dark Apostle for Chaplain
- Helbrutes for Dreadnoughts
- Most of the tanks (Rhino, are just copied straight across, with a few variations in available upgrades.
For some reason, renegade Chapters who start poking at Chaos instantly lose access to Whirlwinds, Thunderfire Cannons (or whatever they're called), Stalkers, Land Speeders and a few other things.

* If you need to fill a battlefield role that Chaos doesn't really do with its ex-Imperial surplus, such as anti-air (Chaos's main anti-air is still, I believe, the Heldrake), I believe you're still allowed to ally in a Renegade Knight.
* Cultists could be justified as Guardsmen who got dragged along, Chapter Serfs, or other expendable units.
* If you want to run some of the weirder elements - daemon engines, for example, or Warp Talons - you could flavour that as an alliance of convenience with a more Chaotic renegade force, and paint them in a different scheme. Or you could use it as a mark of growing corruption.
Thank you both.

So, from the sounds of it, it's just a straight chaos list with different 'chapter traits' rather than an amalgam of the unique stuff of the two.

What about the Demonkin, I kind of love Tzimisce body horror and that's what these guys kind of look like. Is there enough stuff in their selection to make a compelling army?

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Thank you both.

So, from the sounds of it, it's just a straight chaos list with different 'chapter traits' rather than an amalgam of the unique stuff of the two.
They don't have official rules for recent renegades, no. Barring a local group willing to houserule it, you'd mechanically have to run them as either a force that has only been gone for a short time (and thus one using the standard Space Marine list of your choice) or one that's got the Chaos stuff (and thus uses the Chaos list).

That said, there'd be nothing preventing you from collecting both and choosing how far along their descent they are when you build a list, if you wanted to (and had, you know, unlimited money).

What about the Demonkin, I kind of love Tzimisce body horror and that's what these guys kind of look like. Is there enough stuff in their selection to make a compelling army?
I assume that by this you mean daemon engines, Possessed, Obliterators and the like?

Well, there aren't any daemonic Troops units in the standard Heretic Astartes codex - most of them are Elite or Heavy Support, with some Fast Attack and Flyer slots in there - but Possessed parts are compatible with regular Loyalist/Chaos parts if you wanted to run some units that are just beginning their mutation (say, bikers with mutating heads), and failing that there's always the "bargain-basement cultist blob" approach to Troops.

Scutarii

Validated User
I assume that by this you mean daemon engines, Possessed, Obliterators and the like?

Well, there aren't any daemonic Troops units in the standard Heretic Astartes codex - most of them are Elite or Heavy Support, with some Fast Attack and Flyer slots in there - but Possessed parts are compatible with regular Loyalist/Chaos parts if you wanted to run some units that are just beginning their mutation (say, bikers with mutating heads), and failing that there's always the "bargain-basement cultist blob" approach to Troops.
Yeah the new spider walker, possessed, obliterates and the like.

My friends from years ago have found a venue that we can all get to to meet up and play 40k as a quarterly thing and my tiny 1k grey knight army is both really boring and not really not big enough to join in fully apart from as a tiny add on to someone else’s cooler army.

So I am looking to sell off the grey knights and start something with a bit more behind it.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was there a datasheet for the Heretic guardsmen in Blackstone? Otherwise you can always just not go Battleforged (so lose all command points and such - not a good plan) and just take a detatchment of IG next to your CSMs.

Personally I'd just focus on the Astartes and their toys. Cheap cultists are a nice thing, but they're more work to paint figure-for-figure and you need three times as many for the points. If you want to do extra work - Forge Fiends have a similar footprint and can have very similar guns to a Leman Russ, so I'd see if I couldn't make a possessed Russ that can Counts-As a Fiend.

mac40k

Validated User
After previously getting rid of everything, just getting back into 40k with Primaris only. So far I have the core box and the new Shadowspear box. Using Battlescribe (for the first time), I put together a roster using those figs and discovered that I can build a 2000 point army with the addition of a 10-man Intercessors box, a 10-man Reivers box, and a Redemptor Dread. It may not be the most competitive force, but I play casual only and this makes the most of the figs I already have/requires the least additional expenditure. Based on what I've read, it seems light on CP, but since I'm trying to limit the additional spend, I couldn't see another way to organize the figs I own to get any more. Hoping those more knowledgeable can double check my list and make sure I haven't made any glaring mistakes.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [79 PL, 1363pts, 8CP] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
**Chapter Selection**
Battle-forged CP [3CP]
Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +
Primaris Captain [6 PL, 86pts]:
Iron Resolve, Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Power sword, The Burning Blade, Warlord
Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts] 2x Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]:
Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant
Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 170pts]: Bolt rifle, 9x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +
Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]
Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 158pts]:
2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Macro Plasma Incinerator
Reiver Squad [10 PL, 220pts]: Bolt Carbine, Grapnel Launcher, Grav Chutes, 9x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant: Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Fast Attack +
Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 177pts]:
2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +
Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]:
Plasma incinerator, 4x Hellblaster, Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [31 PL, 637pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
**Chapter Selection**

+ HQ +
Captain in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 119pts]:
Camo cloak, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine
Librarian in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 111pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

+ Troops +
Infiltrator Squad [11 PL, 230pts]:
8x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Helix Adept, Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Fast Attack +
Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute, Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

+ Heavy Support +
Eliminator Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak, Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

++ Total: [110 PL, 8CP, 2000pts] ++

Top Bottom