• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catulle

Black Rabbit of Inle
Validated User
Just eyeballing it, but can you split off the elite component (with an HQ) into a Vanguard detachment (while reabsorbing the Patrol into the Batallion) and steal yourself an extra CP that way? Assuming you can't just min-size all the Infiltrators and Intercessors and double batallion, that is.

mac40k

Validated User
Yeah, splitting the two 10-man squads only gets me to 5 squads, which won't work for double Batt or Brigade detachments. Didn't think about reorging the figs I have though. I was starting from the frame of reference that the Vanguard Space Marines in Shadowspear would deploy together, but they don't have enough units to be a Vanguard detachment on their own. But if I pull the 3 Elites out of the Batt and put them with the Shadowspear figs, they could then be a Vanguard detachment. Even though thematically, I don't picture the Redemptor or Primaris Ancient as recon units like the Shadowspear forces, I suppose it is "legal" by the book and would net +1 CP.

BrianDR

Validated User
I've been feeling the painting itch again, and picked up one of those "Get started" magazines with the free miniature included. I guess it was one of the new intercessors, because I thought "Oh, neat new sculpt", then I dug out one of the marines from a box set and realized it was "way out of scale". Then I googled around and found out what a Primaris marine is.

I know I'm way behind the times, but: What are people's thoughts on these? The sculpt is really cool, but I'm kind of mixed on the size difference. My feeling is they're going to look weird next to my existing marines - too big to just look like taller than average marines, too human to look like actual giants. They also look more humanly proportioned, which is nice but in turn makes the old models look more squat.

What's the consensus on these guys? Do you play mixed armies with regular and primaris marines? Do they look weird next to other humanoid factions minis?

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
They are nice models, but they add new units that aren't really needed to the armies that already had some of the most extensive rosters in the game, which I don't like.
It also feels like they will eventually replace normal marines entirely.

Scutarii

Validated User
Is it reasonable to make an army that is :
mostly infantry
Not a horde
Not dependent on vehicles or giant models

I have limited space and basically anything bigger than a dreadnought is too much.

Primaris and Custodes seem a reasonable fit. Maybe some of the new possessed, greater possessed, obliterators kind of thing could work. How big is the spider walker? The defiler is definitely too big and awkward to store.

I was thinking an ‘imperial ‘ force that used custodes and marines. Marines as renegades and the custodes stats and rules to represent the daemonkin and possessed.

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been feeling the painting itch again, and picked up one of those "Get started" magazines with the free miniature included. I guess it was one of the new intercessors, because I thought "Oh, neat new sculpt", then I dug out one of the marines from a box set and realized it was "way out of scale". Then I googled around and found out what a Primaris marine is.

I know I'm way behind the times, but: What are people's thoughts on these? The sculpt is really cool, but I'm kind of mixed on the size difference. My feeling is they're going to look weird next to my existing marines - too big to just look like taller than average marines, too human to look like actual giants. They also look more humanly proportioned, which is nice but in turn makes the old models look more squat.

What's the consensus on these guys? Do you play mixed armies with regular and primaris marines? Do they look weird next to other humanoid factions minis?
I made a separate Marine army for mine. They look better with Cadians than normal Marines since they're actually bigger than a Cadian.

Drakeneisen

Validated User
Custodes absolutely work as just infantry and bikes with no vehicles. You don't get many models, but all of them are really hard to destroy.

Ralls

Entering the Abyss
Validated User
I run a custodes infantry list with dread support. It takes a while to learn, movement mistakes can be punishing (as with any army), and there are a few bad matchups (against the mobile eldar or anything that spams mortal wounds), but other than that they are viable. I think a footstodes list placed in top 20 at LVO.

The sthick of the army is the T5 with a 2+ save. It practically makes you immune to bolters. The stuff that can destroy your custodes troops are often anti-tank guns--guns that the opponent can't bring many of if their army isn't guard or tau. So you only have to make your global 4+ invlunerable save a few times to be durable. Also, the 3rd wound makes you more resilient to that 2 damage plasma. All in all, your line troop is very, very tough to kill.

I don't know if custodes are compatible with the chaos sprues. They are on a bigger base than the normal marine, and are a bit wider too. But hey, this is a creative hobby and I'd love to see it done.

Space marines can do bikes if you want to go that route. They get that T5 3+ and two wounds on a much more mobile platform. So, while you are a little more squishy, your marines can reach the threats (and thus take less fire) than a custodes army would be able to. Bikes are also more shooty, making the army more flexible overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom