• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
re. mostly infrantry, I was playing around in battlescribe and came up with a Tau army that was >100 dudes (and 4 tanks). My first thought was "I'm not painting that".

Scutarii

Validated User
I run a custodes infantry list with dread support. It takes a while to learn, movement mistakes can be punishing (as with any army), and there are a few bad matchups (against the mobile eldar or anything that spams mortal wounds), but other than that they are viable. I think a footstodes list placed in top 20 at LVO.

The sthick of the army is the T5 with a 2+ save. It practically makes you immune to bolters. The stuff that can destroy your custodes troops are often anti-tank guns--guns that the opponent can't bring many of if their army isn't guard or tau. So you only have to make your global 4+ invlunerable save a few times to be durable. Also, the 3rd wound makes you more resilient to that 2 damage plasma. All in all, your line troop is very, very tough to kill.

I don't know if custodes are compatible with the chaos sprues. They are on a bigger base than the normal marine, and are a bit wider too. But hey, this is a creative hobby and I'd love to see it done.

Space marines can do bikes if you want to go that route. They get that T5 3+ and two wounds on a much more mobile platform. So, while you are a little more squishy, your marines can reach the threats (and thus take less fire) than a custodes army would be able to. Bikes are also more shooty, making the army more flexible overall.
I understand the bokes are kinda broken. I'd maybe get a few but not too many. What are the core units I would build around? The standard bearer, a captain, a unit of bikes and a pair of "basic" squads?

I might be able to get the chaos half of Shadowspear too for cheap, grab a sprue or two of chaos mutant parts to convert up the Custodes and mix and match my way to something I'm happy with.

Custodes absolutely work as just infantry and bikes with no vehicles. You don't get many models, but all of them are really hard to destroy.
Sounds kinda perfect. Small project to paint, easy to store.

Does anyone know of any good third party mutant conversion bits I could use to spice up the converting a bit?

Eremite

Validated User
Contemporary Vs Redemptor for a pure Primaris force. What do people think? Looking at stats, Contemptor looks better to me but the Redemptor gets lots of guns. I prefer the Contemptor model but I don't hate the Redemptor... It's bigger and more annoying to transport though. Oh, my VERY LOYAL hydra-themed Primaris use Raven Guard tactics and probably want anti tank as they've got plenty of bolters, plasma and accelerator autocannons for infantry. Contempor feels better for melee while Redemptor is much more shooty. One fits well with chapter tactics,the other fills something of a hole (melee) with the army. Hmm...

Ralls

Entering the Abyss
Validated User
I understand the bokes are kinda broken. I'd maybe get a few but not too many. What are the core units I would build around? The standard bearer, a captain, a unit of bikes and a pair of "basic" squads?

I might be able to get the chaos half of Shadowspear too for cheap, grab a sprue or two of chaos mutant parts to convert up the Custodes and mix and match my way to something I'm happy with.
Your normal troop is pretty flexible at what they can kill in CC with 3 multi-damage attacks at STR 6. The one thing they don't do is pop transports or slay T7+ creatures. For that reason, I'd say get at least one unit of wardens or allarus terminators, as the STR 8 axe can attack in CC what your normal troops would get tied down with.

I'd start with:
1 Bannerman (You can get him in the normal custodian guard squad box)
1 captain on jetbike (probably the most fighty HQ in the game outside of named characters)
2 Normal squads
1 Axe squad (Either Wardens or Allarus. Wardens are cheaper points-wise, but Allarus don't eat up precious CP to deepstrike)

That will give you an idea of what everything in the army can do. Like the axes? Get more wardens. Like how your HQ is killing everything? Take more bikes. Like the slog? Then get more basic dudes. Adjust to go with what you find yourself having fun with.

A note on transportation: I have 3250 points of custodes that fits in the lid of the Horus heresy box. Its a super easy army to transport.

Last edited:

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Someone put a lot of thought into finding a good answer to the question “How do we do Slaanesh demon redesigns that remain true to the character of the Prince of Pleasure without scaring parents away from leaving their kids to hang out in GW stores for hours at a time?” and this is the correct answer.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
OK, yeah, that Keeper of Secrets is very, very nice.
Its quite telling that the responses from the 40K FB Groups I am in range from:
"It loks badass! I want one, no two, for my armies/I need to start a new army so I can include this thing!"

To the Useless Lesbian(tm) warcry of:
"yes plz step on me hot evil deamon-person"

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
About 50% split on both, but highly variable on which Group is was: The vanilla Groups are monstly "Awesome!" and the feminist Groups are mostly "*THIRST*!"

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That Keeper of Secrets really is very fine, elegant and monstrous and subtly creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom