[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
So far, yes. That could change.
Sure, and the Imperium might start to love Xenos one day. We have no indication that will ever happen, especially given that the Necrons consider the Kill-All Destroyer Cult as a insanity.
Given their inability to reproduce, It'll make more sense for Newcrons to keep humanity around as slaves to rule over, so pretty much little change in the daily life for most citizens; just that your local overlord has a metal face now instead of a powdered cyber-wig.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Put me in the camp of preferring the new take on the Necrons. I feel they're much more interesting as a reborn series of space empires than yet another existential galaxy killing threat. It opens up more interesting stories, in my perspective. Like, Necrons allying with Eldar against Chaos or Tyranids seems like a thing that could happen, even though they're ancient enemies. Or Mechanicus and Necrons calling a truce to turn their firepower against an Chaos incursion on the world they're fighting over.

Chaos and Tyranids can't really be negotiated with, or ever allies of convenience/co-belligerents for the other factions, and that's fine, but kind of one-note (I could see Chaos Cults and Genestealer Cults cooperating, both convinced that they're using the other, but not Chaos Marines or Demons). Orks are kind of half-way between Chaos and Eldar, in that there's at least a possibility of pointing them at someone else by communicating with them (mostly by convincing them that the other enemy will give a better fight).

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
I could see Chaos Cults and Genestealer Cults cooperating, both convinced that they're using the other,
If memory serves, the original Genestealer Cult armylist in Rogue Trader was for a Genestealer Cult which had fallen to Chaos.

So, apparently, that was a thing.

Gallowglacht

Validated User
Yeah if they botched the infiltration of the high and mighty and ended up with just the downtrodden, a patriarch would sometimes turn to Chaos to get those world domination plans back on track.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
Sure, it just requires my Necron Lord to be mentally ill/broken down.
If you choose to interpret it that way. As with most of your nitpicks about the fluff, that's on you deciding to go down the most negative route possible, not on the actual content.

*edit* I mean, the simplest fact that you're choosing to ignore is that your Lord could simply choose to be that way. They digs having this awesome army of totally obedient, relentless warriors. Hey, that destroyer cult thing is really out there, but you know what's cool? Hoverbody! So just yoink one of those, and if any particular deep in the kool-aid actual destroyers come around, just intone 'destroy all fleshies' until they go away.

Last edited:

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And have absolutely no reason to do so. So far they've shown a desire to conquer, not exterminate.
Everyone in the Orpheus Sector is pretty much dead. When you have an empire that works on a galactic scale and has no use for other races, the two are...pretty much the same.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
I never understood why GW didn't lean into the 40K setting as a version of the fantasy one from the start. If you make the Necrons robot Tomb Kings they become awesome. Mummies become cyborgs! Ushabti become robots!

Similarly, why are Tyranids not Vampire lords who enslaved alien races and turn them into ghouls, or cyberghouls? You don't even have to change Genestealer Cults that much.
Also Why aren't Tau the Ogre Kingdoms? A warrior caste of Ogryns, assisted by Squats, Stunties and other abhumans who formed their own government.
And also space Skaven.

Scurrilous

Validated User
If memory serves, the original Genestealer Cult armylist in Rogue Trader was for a Genestealer Cult which had fallen to Chaos.

So, apparently, that was a thing.
Yup, genestealer patriarchs with daemon swords. Maguses with chaos magic, the works! But let us not forget the poor neglected Space Zoats who smiled so kindly as they ripped the heads off marines.

Top Bottom