• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Yeah, it's 28mm Epic.

I'm...conflicted...here.
28mm Epic that is also cribbing from Warpath (which TBF also cribbed from Epic)

I guess we'll see if the GW Bespoke Special Rule creep will set in or not. If not I could be on board with this.

Scutarii

Validated User
A question to your veteran 40k players.

How attached are you to having to buy equipment for your models vs having a fixed load out? Primaris marine style vs Space Marine Tactical style?

How much do you care that Chaper Approved will be changing the cost of [item] by 2pts? Do you think that level of granularity on the bulk of your models is worth it?

Conversely AoS has you buy units in fixed blocks with a few equipment options that you don't have to pay for.

E.g.: a Stormcast Sequitor (essentially the basic line infantry of the Space Marine equivalent, no, the basic line infantry is not Liberators) unit costs 130pts for 5 and has the following load out options. You can add another 5 models for 130pts to a maximum size of 20 models.

“The unit is armed with one of the following weapon options: Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield; or Tempest Blade and Soulshield. 2 in every 5 models can replace the unit’s weapon option with a Stormsmite Greatmace”

“The leader of this unit is a Sequitor-Prime. A Sequitor-Prime can replace the unit’s weapon option with a Stormsmite Greatmace, in addition to any other models in the unit that can do so. Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of a Sequitor-Prime’s melee weapon. If a Sequitor-Prime is armed with a Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield or Tempest Blade and Soulshield, they may also carry a Redemption Cache”

Dragonlover

Validated User
How much do you care that Chaper Approved will be changing the cost of [item] by 2pts? Do you think that level of granularity on the bulk of your models is worth it?
I care very much, and yes I feel that the granularity is worth it. Sometimes the cost of a unit is fine, but you get overcharged for the weapons. Sometimes it's the other way round. Case in point, Chaos Chosen pre- and post-CA2018. We'd have been happy with just the Chosen points dropping (which they did), but they also dropped a lot of the weapon option costs and suddenly they only suffered from being Marines in a meta that hates the Marine statline, as opposed to being overcosted to the point that nobody really bothered with them since Havocs were just better for the job.

Also I care cause I write fixed lists to 2000 points, so a change in either direction can have implications on my personal hobbying that range beyond the tabletop. I appreciate that I'm in the minority here though.

I've dabbled with AoS, and found the Xerox equipment method faster, but duller to use. I'd have liked the option to just mix and match the base options within a unit, so in the case of the Sequitors mentioned above take 5 with Mauls and 5 with Blades, then swap out for a couple of Greatmaces if I felt like it. After all, they're both the same points cost, so why not let me mix and match?

Dragonlover

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The points changes for Astra Millitarum gave me the enough points in my 2000 list to add in a command squad, a commander, and a Hydra. The little changes add up.

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User
How attached are you to having to buy equipment for your models vs having a fixed load out?
Quite attached I'd say. Purely fixed loadouts would make army list construction less interesting for me.

Very much, and yes, I think it's worth it. For the former, small changes add up, and I appreciate these granular balancing efforts. As for "worth it", I find granularity makes list building more rewarding. When 8e started, we played with Power Rating a bit, but found it too loose and blurry as a system. I like having the option of taking some units at bare minimum and loading others, and these extremes don't balance each other out in PR.

BrianDR

Validated User
Conversely AoS has you buy units in fixed blocks with a few equipment options that you don't have to pay for.

E.g.: a Stormcast Sequitor (essentially the basic line infantry of the Space Marine equivalent, no, the basic line infantry is not Liberators) unit costs 130pts for 5 and has the following load out options. You can add another 5 models for 130pts to a maximum size of 20 models.

Not a veteran 40k player, but as a player just getting into AoS I have to say I really really hate the buying things in fixed blocks, but maybe not for the reason people might think. It's not about wanting to make granular tactical choices necessarily, I hate it because it makes odd models useless (or at least, a strict mechanical disadvantage.

For instance, I had 30-odd night goblins (moonclan grots) hanging around from an old battle at skull pass starter set. You have to buy them now in blocks of 20 so the other 10 are pretty much useless (I'd have to pay as if they were another 20). My start collecting Slaves to Darkness came with 12 Chaos Warriors - I have to buy them in blocks of 5. My soul wars box came with 4 Grimghast reapers - since they must be purchased in blocks of 10, it's almost impossible for me to make use of the odd models and get my points worth.

You might think it's not a big deal because most things are sold in boxes divisible by the min unit size, but even then I'm annoyed because it means if I screw up one model and don't want to use it, I'm just leaving points on the table. One of the spears broke off of my Skull Pass spider riders - I can't just play with one fewer spider and use the points on something else, I'm just at a strict disadvantage. It's something I have to sweat if I paint a test model I don't like, break something fragile, or if I lose one of my miniatures.

Meanwhile, when I was digging up an old box of necrons from about the same time, and found like 27 Necron warriors, I knew I could use them all.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Yeah, that's a fair issue.
And a reason why I too prefer to pay things by the model. And in this age of digitalized armylist apps, its not like its any harder to do.
And I like the freedom. Most of my units are minimum size +1 or 2 extra ablative models, somethingI would not be able to do if they were brought in blocks or say 5, or 10 models.
Likewise most of my Sisters of Battle are in squads that are 6 Sisters strong, because that's what can fit in a Immolator or fire from the fire points of a Repressor Tank, so any further models would not add much to their combat power.

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like paying for things by the model and having lots of choices. It's a chance to personalize or build to fluff (flamers for Sallies, plasma for Dark Angels for example, or feudal world squads with minimum loadouts mixed in with Vostroyans kitted out with every option) and helps distinguish your guys and teams.

"Oh yeah, that's Squad Gamma. Their Sergeant killed a Hive Tyrant with a plasma pistol once, that's why the claw is on his base."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom