• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Deflare

Validated User
I've seen one or two Apocalypse games at conventions that take up multiple 6x4 tables' worth of space; these were generally massive "Pit all of one rich guy's collection vs four other people's collections" affairs, and they might hit more than 40 feet corner-to-corner.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
It's the same way the old Basilisk indirect fire had a range of 120". It almost never ever ever came into use, but was jusy indicative of how far artillery could reach. Sounds like QC is showing it's the biggest of the big big guns.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
There's really no point, though we've used things like that twice, just for fun:

1) In one game, we had a battery of Basilisks set up on the store's speaker system, who could basically rain fire down on whoever seemed to be doing better at that moment. It was mostly just amusing, but the board did take up the entire store, so "Yeah, it's in range..." was handy.

2) We've done the occasional club game where firing onto other people's tables was legal. As was flying, to make the number of Supersonic fighters we had actually mean something.
Both of those sounds highly amusing.
"Oi Speaky-boy*! Boss sayz to kall in those pointy-ears flyboyz and make them blow up 'dose big gunz! Get on da speaky-thingie** and shout at 'em until 'ey do!"
*Cue extremely confused eldar jetfighters roaring in to pick off the ork-marked targets

*Ork Vox-operator, or closest equivalent. Sometimes just a very large ork with very large lungs. Sometimes more complex.
**Ork Vox, or similar technology, Sometimes trained squigs. Sometimes even more primitive.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Both of those sounds highly amusing.
"Oi Speaky-boy*! Boss sayz to kall in those pointy-ears flyboyz and make them blow up 'dose big gunz! Get on da speaky-thingie** and shout at 'em until 'ey do!"
*Cue extremely confused eldar jetfighters roaring in to pick off the ork-marked targets

*Ork Vox-operator, or closest equivalent. Sometimes just a very large ork with very large lungs. Sometimes more complex.
**Ork Vox, or similar technology, Sometimes trained squigs. Sometimes even more primitive.
By far the most fun I had in those games was indeed taking requests, followed by a pack of three Crimson Hunters just showing up and deleting something half the store away.

Deflare

Validated User
What are folks' thoughts on the Apocalypse detachment boxes, for someone largely uninterested in Apocalypse? Any particularly good deals in there? The AdMech one kinda hit me in the soul, with how hard to find Kastellan robots used to be.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What are folks' thoughts on the Apocalypse detachment boxes, for someone largely uninterested in Apocalypse? Any particularly good deals in there? The AdMech one kinda hit me in the soul, with how hard to find Kastellan robots used to be.
They all seem to be really good value. The easiest one to do the math on being the (instantly sold out) knight box which had one the giant £100 knights and two Armiger (£45 for a box of 2) for... £100. Roughly 30% off.

Basically if you want an army of Mostly Robots, the T'au, Ork, Asuriyani and Ad Mech boxes are excellent starts, financially.

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Knight one seems a pretty deal - staple units you're going to use in most armies.

mac40k

Validated User
I picked up the Knights, Asuryani, and CSM detachments. They boxes were already a good deal based on current prices, but are even better in light of the new GW prices which go into effect on the 8th.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Non-forgeworld, the Astra Militarum Basilisk has a 240" range.
Forgeworld: I think it's the Warbringer Titan's quake cannon at 480", but it's not like there's a master stats table I can sort by range so I've likely missed something.

The Deathstrike missile, notably, is only 200" range, a massive nerf from when it had infinite range... in Epic.

Top Bottom