• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scutarii

Validated User
Cool lore deepcuts!

On mono van multipose I would have argued for multipose a few years ago but the practicalities of monopose has me looking back at some of the 5th warhammer fantasy models with envy and the modern AoS figures all look so good that I can’t bring myself to care when the end result is that good.

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's also the matter of vestments - for a long time, one of the reasons the Sisters were said not to be getting plastics was because GW's miniatures designers couldn't reconcile "multipart multipose miniatures" with the robes and sleeves and tabards of the range (and the sense of direction and motion they convey).
Eh. Mechanicus Skitties have some serious robage and their torso and legs are separated. Admittedly some of the fits are still very limited, so sometimes you'll have to break out the scalpel and green stuff.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
So I was taken by a fey mood and started thinking about having internal wars between Imperial factions which turned into the idea of Revolutionary alliances within Imperial armies: basically that there are revolutionary factions among the Imperium that regularly fight against each other that have nothing to do with Chaos or Genestealer Cults. My idea came from a thought I had where I was thinking of fielding an Alpha Legion force that was painted to look like Ultramarines and didn't use chaos powers, demonic weapons or possessed vehicles... to see if it was possible to make a marine force that was not a loyalist force that could ally with other factions. Now this can be done already in 8th Edition, I was just talking about the narrative framework. So I got to thinking and came up with this:

THE ILLUMINATI
Type: Marines, Ministorum, Inquisition, Custodes
Allies: Harlequins, Craftworld Eldar, Aldmeri
The Illuminati are a secret order within the Imperium that is dedicated to replacing the Emperor of the Imperium with a new host. They believe that this will allow the psychic force of humanity to ascend into a disembodied force: essentially a benign chaos power that no longer wields political power, either ostensibly or otherwise. Their colors are Off-White and Brass.

THE UNIVERSAL GUILD
Type: Inquisition, Guard, Custodes, Knight Houses
Allies: Orks, Genestealer Cult, Tau, Chaos Marines
The Universal Guild is a part of the Human guild that maintains connection with alien merchants from the Tau, Eldar, Squat, Stuntie, Ork and even stranger races out in the void. They embody the power of money and influence. Their colors are blue and purple. They can field units from other factions more easily.

THE REVOLUTION
Type: Guard, Marines, Inquisition, Knight Houses
Allies: Tau, Eldar Craftworld
The Revolution holds that the Imperium is a vast cruel institution without morality. It holds that regional alliances between worlds are a better governing system than the inefficient centralized fascist state governed from Terra. Their colors are red and green.

RENEGADE MACHINE CULT
Type: Mechanicus, Guard, Knight Houses, Marines maybe?
Allies: Necron, Tau, Chaos Marines
The Renegade Machine Cult has decided that the restrictions and limits of the Cult Mechanicus were put into place to control people. Freed from these restrictions, they seek a deeper understanding of machines and Robots. They can field Mechanicus units. Their colors are silver, white and grey.

THE NEW ORDER
Type: Inquisition, Guard, Marines, Mechanicus
Allies: Aldmeri, Eldar Craftworld, Harlequin, Orks, Tau
The New Order seeks an Empire that is more moderate in rule and atheistic in approach, without Ministorum or Imperial Faith. It seeks to go back to a time before the Heresy. Their colors are purple and white. In 41K this faction is arguably not even heretical given developments.

BLACK ANARCHISTS
Type: Inquisition, Ministorum, Marines
Allies: Dark Eldar, Orks, Aldmeri, Tau, Chaos Marines
Anarchists are against the Imperial Creed and the Empire generally. They seek to kill Imperial representatives and officials to disrupt the governance of the Empire. Their colors are black and white.

So yeah this could become pretty detailed with all manner of amateur codecies and whatnot, but the point is to have a quick and easy motive for odd 'blue on blue' 'green on blue' and even 'green, blue and yellow on blue'.

Last edited:

glass

Validated User
THE NEW ORDER
Type: Inquisition, Guard, Marines, Mechanicus
Allies: Aldmeri, Eldar Craftworld, Harlequin, Orks, Tau
The New Order seeks an Empire that is more moderate in rule and atheistic in approach, without Ministorum or Imperial Faith. It seeks to go back to a time before the Heresy. Their colors are purple and white. In 41K this faction is arguably not even heretical given developments.
Interesting thoughts. My homebrew Iron Stars marines would fit right in with this one, and by happy coincidence their colours, should I ever get any of them painted to my satisfaction, are purple and bone (close enough!).

BTW, what do you mean by "Aldmeri"? At first I thought it was a mispelling of "aeldari", but you list Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Harlequins separately. And all Google DuckDuckGo comes up with is a bunch of Elder Scrolls stuff.

_
glass.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
BTW, what do you mean by "Aldmeri"? At first I thought it was a mispelling of "aeldari", but you list Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Harlequins separately. And all Google DuckDuckGo comes up with is a bunch of Elder Scrolls stuff.
That's what happens when you can't remember how to spell different kinds of words and you get them mixed up in your head. Yeah I meant Aeldari . All them pointy ears look alike to me...

Gallowglacht

Validated User
Yeah with half the factions being imperial I'd like the setting to reflect the table more.
The Imperium less like a unified Roman Empire and closer to medieval Christendom. Nominally united with a massively powerful unifying centre but plenty of scope for conflict and open warfare while still able to unite for Crusades.

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's what happens when you can't remember how to spell different kinds of words and you get them mixed up in your head. Yeah I meant Aeldari . All them pointy ears look alike to me...
I think one can be excused for mixing up Games Workshop's fake trademarkable name for legally distinct elves and Bethesda's fake trademarkable name for legally distinct elves. They look and sound very similar.

mac40k

Validated User
I'm used to the shoulder pad in SM armies reflecting the force org so that it is easy to see on the tabletop which units are troops, which are Elite, which are Fast Attack, etc. Can someone explain to me why Primaris Reivers are always depicted with the Fast Attack shoulder pad designation when they are an Elite choice? They seem to be the only unit that doesn't line up with the force org chart. I'm half tempted to go ahead and put the Elite markings on them anyway, but then I'm sure I'll be told by everyone that sees them that I did it wrong.

Gallowglacht

Validated User
It's done that way to make it easier for me to throw jump packs on them and use them as "true scale" assault marines for 2nd edition.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm used to the shoulder pad in SM armies reflecting the force org so that it is easy to see on the tabletop which units are troops, which are Elite, which are Fast Attack, etc. Can someone explain to me why Primaris Reivers are always depicted with the Fast Attack shoulder pad designation when they are an Elite choice? They seem to be the only unit that doesn't line up with the force org chart. I'm half tempted to go ahead and put the Elite markings on them anyway, but then I'm sure I'll be told by everyone that sees them that I did it wrong.
The force org chart and unit shoulder pad designation aren't quite an 1:1 match. Aggressors are another Elite unit, but their battlefield role and shoulder pad sign is fire support (the upside-down V). Same goes for Assault Centurions; an Elite choice, but their battlefield role is close support (ie., the "assault marine" X).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom