• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Do not post in support of the Emperor of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
Interesting. I'd watch it. Prepare for the torrent of forum wars because someone in costuming had to make a sacrifice on the size of shoulderpads to let their actors actually see.

Live action is probably the big millstone to me though. Making the stuff they wear in games/art/etc. wearable irl for a movie is going to be tricky. I know there's some fantastic cosplay out there but the proportions on it can look weird if they try to be faithful and practicalities are not exactly a 40k thing.
Why are.you imagining costuming is going to be a problem? Big coats, themed future outfits, and sci-fi accessories isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Why are.you imagining costuming is going to be a problem? Big coats, themed future outfits, and sci-fi accessories isn't exactly breaking new ground.
Art direction.

If it keeps the proportions of the table top, it'll be very difficult not to come across as ridiculous. If it tones the proportions down, it'll run the risk of being off. It'll require good art direction to figure out how thread that needle.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
Art direction.

If it keeps the proportions of the table top, it'll be very difficult not to come across as ridiculous. If it tones the proportions down, it'll run the risk of being off. It'll require good art direction to figure out how thread that needle.
It's a very easy needle to thread, which is why I don't understand the issue trying to be raised.

For reference, here's the current model used for Eisenhorn himself.

What exactly are the proportions that are going to present such hurdles to adapt?

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a very easy needle to thread, which is why I don't understand the issue trying to be raised.

For reference, here's the current model used for Eisenhorn himself.

What exactly are the proportions that are going to present such hurdles to adapt?
Most of 40k's "Heroic Scale" proportion oddness is in the weapons and the less human characters - Ork necks are a nonsense conceit, f'rex.
But if you look at the art rather than the model - the gun is dramatically scaled down but it's not obvious until you look for it - the modelled pistol is damn near the size of Eisenhorn's entire torso. Like you say, it's entirely manageable, at least for the human-scale stuff and the completely alien things like 'stealers.

I think there's a lot of uncanny valleys to navigate with, say, Terminator Armour or even regular space marines if they can take their helmets off... but it's been done before.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
I think there's a lot of uncanny valleys to navigate with, say, Terminator Armour or even regular space marines if they can take their helmets off... but it's been done before.
The trick with Space Marines will be to put them far enough in the uncanny valley that they read as visibly inhuman without making them look like a) just a big buff dude with huge shoulderpads or b) a horrifying mess of bad CGI distortions.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
Being able to finalize on a single design will be a big part of helping with that, since part of the problem is multiple arts across multiple projects each with their own interpretation of how marines should look. That and the fact that if things keep to the vague outline of the books (I just reread the 1st one and it's a pretty good roadmap for a potential season) space marines don't show up until the finale of the book, when the Deathwatch lends a hand, and that makes worrying over how marines are going to look pretty much not a concern.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think everyone who plays Sisters (or wants to play Sisters) was wondering if they'd retain the purity seals and bikinis of the old Repentia, but it looks like they're a lot more restrained, clothing-wise:

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
I think everyone who plays Sisters (or wants to play Sisters) was wondering if they'd retain the purity seals and bikinis of the old Repentia, but it looks like they're a lot more restrained, clothing-wise:
Interesting to see that they have access port for their power armour all over the body, something I've always thought was the sole purview of Astartes with their Black Carapace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom