• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[40k Game Megathread] - Plastic Sisters: Now, Or Sooner

Sand

Unchanging Fishwife
Validated User
I think it's more likely a way of giving the different ranges distinctive looks.

Dulahan

Validated User
Honestly, I think it's just a sculptor had an idea, and GW doesn't really care much otherwise, that's just how they are. Remember, this is a company that doesn't even make rules for something or conceptualize it for the rules side, they just make rules for things their sculptors make.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Honestly, I think it's just a sculptor had an idea, and GW doesn't really care much otherwise, that's just how they are. Remember, this is a company that doesn't even make rules for something or conceptualize it for the rules side, they just make rules for things their sculptors make.
While technically true, I think it's overstating things. GW's miniatures designers (the step in the process right before sculptors, people like Jes Goodwin, the man responsible for the look and style of the Astartes, the Eldar, and scores of other factions since the late 80s) do a lot of conceptual and thematic design work that informs the whole design process, from sculpting to writing. Yeah, the miniatures come first because GW is a miniatures company that happens to make rules (with a side of "IP farm for licensing"), but it's not exactly individual sculptors and their whims.

Scutarii

Validated User
They are people who share at least some space with each other. The rules people are at the very least going to spend some part of their lunch talking to the designers and gush about how cool it would be to have a transport for the Ad-Mech just as the design person is going to wax poetic about the little plasma manifold they scultped into the interior of the land raider and ti would be cool for that get a shout in game and so on.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
They are people who share at least some space with each other. The rules people are at the very least going to spend some part of their lunch talking to the designers and gush about how cool it would be to have a transport for the Ad-Mech just as the design person is going to wax poetic about the little plasma manifold they scultped into the interior of the land raider and ti would be cool for that get a shout in game and so on.
Also this.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If I recall correctly, the time GW said "we do minis first, then rules" was in the context of "why we don't give [army] a [unit they clearly lack]", such as why some armies have very few AA options for example.

I think in general the strategic decisions like "which Aelf list comes next" is probably heavily driven by marketing and business managers, and they ask the minis team to come up with X units for Y army including a range of boxes sizes those units need to fit into, and then the rules guys make rules for that (and presumably write much of the fluff while the sculpting in in progress). There's no doubt feedback loops, maybe even formalised "pitching" processes for someone to say "I've had a great idea for a new faction/unit/direction".

I mean that's broadly speaking how a lot of companies work: sales or senior management say "we should do X" engineering do ~X and then someone tries to document it while wondering why they didn't do X'.

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It doesn't sound so different from how the last couple of video games companies I worked for do things, especially with the increase in the 'skeleton core/plus DLC' development approach that is becoming the norm in larger studios. They don't make a game to be standalone and one-off, and after the base game's out, marketing, the designers and the developers have a structured process of developing DLC.

Admittedly a lot of it is overpriced disposable digital crap and if the game's content is moddable often expanded on much more effectively by modders. (I'm the author of AlphaMod, an 'unofficial expansion' for Paradox's Stellaris.)

Von Bek

Now with Moorcock
Validated User
More news about the Invictors has come out. The arm weapons are Autocannon rather than more Stubbers and it also has a Flamer option that made my Baal Predator cry.

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh, the Chibi-Dreadknight looks like it's actually going to be useful.

Damn it, now I need to at least consider taking one...

Top Bottom