• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[4E, any] Is "Power" the new "Level"?

Crazy Jerome

Retired User
Too many uses of "level" in D&D was a long-running, if minor complaint--famously last parodied I believe in Order of the Stick. Recently, I saw a comment that "Power" was used in too many ways? Likewise, "attack" in the new Essentials RC glossary was dinged for this problem.

But more broadly, is "Ask My Leading and Negative Question To Stir Things Up," the new tactic? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Feel free to list other important but neglected questions that the board have missed, in response. :D

Danger Mouse

Social Justice Mouse
Validated User
There was an issue that a lot places (like the Demigod epic destiny) said "encounter power" or "daily power" when what they meant was "encounter attack power" or "daily attack power". They've stopped doing that, though.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The use of level has been an issue in past editions because it was used in many different ways, such as the level of a dungeon, a character's experience level, the level of a spell, etc. Since power has only one meaning as far as I know, there should be no issue with it.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think power is very clear, as long as they remember to specify "attack power" when they mean "attack power." (Fixed in most post-PHB1 books.) I don't think attack is overused, either.

Level was problematic because there were PC levels, spell levels, monster levels, and dungeon levels in old editions. By the time of 3e, monster level and dungeon level were removed, but we got encounter level and level adjustment and effective character level added. In 4e, level just refers to PC level, and powers associated directly with the matching PC level, so things are much clearer.

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
I can think of three uses of "Power" in 4E:

"Power" as a generic term for a discrete ability used by a PC, so they can just say "powers" when they mean "exploits, spells, prayers, evocations, hexes, generic maneuvers, item abilities, etc."

"Power Source," which uses the same definition - it's the source of your "powers."

"Blah Power" as the title of a book. This follows along as well - "Martial Power" is a book with new options for the Martial power source, frex.

That's pretty much it, and they're all built around the idea that "powers" = "shit you can do." It's not at all like previous editions where "level" might mean character level or spell level or encounter level or a dozen other things, and none of them corresponded to one another on a one-for-one basis (the fact that spell level didn't correspond to character level has bugged me for thirty years - I'm so glad 4E finally fixed that).

Topher

Crazy Jerome

Retired User
I think I had major parody attempt fail here. The second paragraph in the OP was really important. You might get what I'm saying if you take a brief scan at the subject title of the most recent 20-40 posts. :D

chiguayante

biggest sword of them all
If you're looking for words that are repeated too much, I'd be taking a look at things like "strike". Twin strike, Howling strike, Healing strike, Wicked Strike, Holy Strike, Clever Strike, etc etc etc... There are nearly 350 powers that use the word strike in their name.

Lizard

Global Village Grouch
Validated User
Speaking as someone who has spent almost all of his free time this week designing powers for Earth Delta (Savage and Scavenger done to level 30, yay! On to the Scholar... sigh...), I find the worst word in the 4e vocabulary is "target", especially when a power does different things to different people or requires selecting both a target ally and a target enemy, or even worse, some sort of multiple sets of each. Triple the annoyance if there's a trigger involved.

Top Bottom