• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

4e D&D online?

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
I can do voice chat, and I agree that an ice-breaker one-shot makes a lot of sense.

I never really got to play much during the heyday of 4E. I ran a campaign for my group, and they all decided other games were more to their liking. So, I never got much time in the player's seat for 4E. Wardens and shamans always struck me as neat. ezekiel ezekiel , I can play the primal complement to whatever you choose. Bard and Warden, or Swordmage and Shaman.
I've always wanted to see a Warden in action, so you go with that.

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
At first, I admit this proposal got my back up a bit.
Ha! You know, I tried writing that post a few times. Eventually I settled on saying exactly what I meant in the fewest, clearest words I could muster. I've been in successful online campaigns, and I've been in games that failed to reach session 2, and I've come to feel that a big problem is people just sort of jumping right into things without knowing if they have any level of compatibility. Better for people to screen each other before they spend hours making characters and stuff.

So, for anyone who is still interested, the biggest question has yet to be asked: scheduling. I'm on US/Canada Eastern Time, and I have an extremely open schedule right now. Other than Sunday mornings, I can make almost any waking-hours time slot work with some advance planning. Since we're doing a voice-chat, VTT game, we all need to be available on the same day and time.

I created a quick Doodle poll for possible dates/times. Indicate which ones work best for you (green checkmark) and which ones work okay but are not ideal for you (yellow checkmark). If a time doesn't work at all for you, just leave it blank.

Note: Due to the way Doodle's interface works, I had to pick specific dates and times. But what I really mean is, like, "Monday mornings, Monday afternoons, Monday evenings" rather than "9AM-1PM, June 10th". If it's at all confusing, please let me know and I'll be happy to clarify.

Scrabbit

Validated User
I'd still be interested in being a player if there are still slots! I have no problem with voice chat and lots of experience using Roll20. My Saturday 5e campaign has now ended and another member of that group is DMing Call of Cthulhu. I'm on UK time but I'm pretty much always free right now except for Wednesdays and Saturdays.

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
Hmm. Not sure what to vote with the hours being flexible. I can better identify when I'm not available than when I definitely will be.
I can't do Saturday evenings (after 7 pm Eastern). Typically I run my own game on Tuesdays, 8 pm to midnight Eastern; however, one player's works shedule for a week is never set until the preceding Friday, so very occasionally we do Wednesday instead.

Other than those two commitments, however, I can definitely make time any other day of the week as long as it's not too early (I tend to sleep late) and I know in advance so I can set alarms and such. I'm on Pacific time myself, so "not too early" means not before about 1 pm Eastern (10 am Pacific).

Also, as an alternative that I prefer for this sort of scheduling, check out When Is Good. It's not totally perfect, but it's free and with just a little effort, it's the best tracker I've found that can really break down who's available when. If only it had the ability to have degrees of scheduling (e.g. "I can make this work but it's not preferable"), it'd probably be perfect.

Last edited:

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
Also, as an alternative that I prefer for this sort of scheduling, check out When Is Good. It's not totally perfect, but it's free and with just a little effort, it's the best tracker I've found that can really break down who's available when. If only it had the ability to have degrees of scheduling (e.g. "I can make this work but it's not preferable"), it'd probably be perfect.
I am always amazed at how many scheduling assistants exist that are almost what I want them to be, but are never quite right. (see also: digital whiteboards)

I remember one time trying to use Doodle's polling feature (where you can write freeform text for each option) to do a thing like... "Saturday Afternoon, Sunday Morning, or Monday Night", and it absolutely refusing to let me do that. I guess it could detect the names of days in the text fields, and if I was making a choice between days, then gosh darnit I had better use the Calendar feature. Someone literally coded in an anti-feature, to prevent me from using the software in the most effective way! Madness, especially when both calendar and poll options are available for free users (i.e., it's not like they were trying to push me up to premium tier).

Tricksy and False

Social Justice Murderhobo
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I responded to the Doodle pool. I'm in US/Central time. In general, weekdays during the day are bad for me, and Wednesday nights and alternating Thursday nights are bad. My good days and times are (in Central time) Monday nights, Tuesday nights, Friday nights, and whatever on Saturdays and Sundays.

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
Thus far the people who have expressed some interest in this thread as players are, in order from the first post:
Seroster
Myself
Scrabbit
Tricksy and False
LizardBite
Frezak
Lontra Felina

Thus far, only the first four have responded specifically to AliphanG's offer of a short-run "get to know the games we run" game. So you might get in if the two who haven't responded opt not to join, L Lontra Felina . AliphanG set a limit of 3-5 players and you make the 7th overall applicant. Given the potential for scheduling issues and the like, you may be more "in the running" than it would seem.

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
If someone else eventually shows up and offers to run, we'd have enough for a game with 4 players and a game with 3...

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
I finally responded to the Doodle poll. I basically just picked evenings, except Monday. If I turn out to be a sticking point then I could bow out, in that I get up at what is for me an early time now (6am EST) so I usually go to bed 10-10:30pm. I could stay up a bit later than that, but if in order to accomodate west coast players the game has to run until midnight EST, I think I will have to pass :)

Top Bottom