• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wizards have updated the Compendium, but if you read the class entries for the Fighter, Ranger, Warlord and Rogue you can see several new class features sneaking in, presumably from Martial Power. Right now, the write up makes it look like these four class are just *given* extra powers, but I assume that when we see Martial Power, it'll make it clear that these are optional class features, not additional default ones. I haven't looked to see if there are any new powers yet.

Some examples of the new features, including rules for animal companions for Rangers (!):

Fighter: BATTLERAGER VIGOR
Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved).

When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks whenever you have temporary hit points. This bonus increases to +2 if you’re wielding an axe, a hammer, a mace, or a pick.

Ranger: BEAST MASTERY
You gain a beast companion, chosen from one of these categories: bear, boar, cat, lizard, raptor, serpent, spider, or wolf. These categories do not describe specific animals, but rather groups of similarly themed creatures in the D&D world. You decide the creature’s relevant details— its species, physical details, and so forth—making sure they are appropriate for its category and the campaign.

For example, if your character hails from a swampy region, your lizard companion might be a crocodile. The lizard companion of a ranger from a different region might be a giant monitor lizard or a drake. A beast companion’s species doesn’t affect its game statistics, which are based on its category and level.

You and your beast companion work so well together that the creature is almost an extension of you. Using your actions in combat, you control your beast companion by issuing it commands.

Beast Mastery also alters your Hunter’s Quarry class feature. When you use Hunter’s Quarry, your quarry can be either the enemy nearest to you that you can see or the enemy nearest to your beast companion that you can see. You or your beast companion can deal the extra damage from Hunter’s Quarry, but only one of you can deal this extra damage per round.

Your beast companion is considered a creature and an ally and can be affected by powers. A cleric can heal it with healing word, a warlord can give it a melee basic attack with commander’s strike, and so forth. You and your beast companion are treated as separate creatures.

You can have only one beast companion at a time. You can dismiss your beast companion at any time, but gaining a new one isn’t a simple task.The link between a ranger and his or her beast companion is not one of master and servant but of two close friends.

As part of the training you underwent that allowed you to form a close bond with a beast, you learned the Raise Beast Companion ritual, which allows you to raise your companion from the dead, even if you are otherwise unable to master and perform rituals.

Rogue: RUTHLESS RUFFIAN
You are proficient with the club and the mace, and you can use those weapons with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a light blade. If you use a club or a mace to deliver an attack that has the rattling keyword, add your Strength modifier to the damage roll.

Warlord: BRAVURA PRESENCE
When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm starting to get quite suspicious of all these "leaks" around 4e...

That & OMG WoW! ;)

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well its not actually a leak, but the info is in the D&D compendium online.
:p
And it carelessly but accidentally was made available on-line prematurely, correct?

Excuse me as i go wear my tin-foil hat.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And it carelessly but accidentally was made available on-line prematurely, correct?

Excuse me as i go wear my tin-foil hat.

It does all seem a bit 'accidentally on purpose', I must admit. Not that I'm complaining of course - new crunch is always good to see :).

I think I got all the new stuff for the Rogue & Ranger, but there's definitely more stuff for the Fighter & Warlord for those interested (I wasn't sure about just copy & pasting *everything*).

The new animal companion stuff looks very cool - by making species purely cosmetic, it allows Wizards to keep a much tighter rein on what animal companions can do at each level, while still allowing players to customise (and not have to worry about picking a subobtimal animal). And I'll be curious to see the Fighter options in play, as they seem to support a much wilder, more barbaric kind of PC, which will be interesting to compare to the 'real' barbarian class (esp. if you consider multiclassing options!)

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Iiiiiiiiinteresting...

Onward premature and useless speculating!

Fighter: BATTLERAGER VIGOR
Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved).

When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks whenever you have temporary hit points. This bonus increases to +2 if you’re wielding an axe, a hammer, a mace, or a pick.
Best guess, this is an alternative option for the Fighter Weapon Talent. Kinda interesting that they're providing a battlerager variant for the Fighter when we have the barbarian coming out next year. The stacking temporary hp is amazing.

You gain a beast companion, chosen from one of these categories: bear, boar, cat, lizard, raptor, serpent, spider, or wolf. These categories do not describe specific animals, but rather groups of similarly themed creatures in the D&D world. You decide the creature’s relevant details— its species, physical details, and so forth—making sure they are appropriate for its category and the campaign.

For example, if your character hails from a swampy region, your lizard companion might be a crocodile. The lizard companion of a ranger from a different region might be a giant monitor lizard or a drake. A beast companion’s species doesn’t affect its game statistics, which are based on its category and level.

You and your beast companion work so well together that the creature is almost an extension of you. Using your actions in combat, you control your beast companion by issuing it commands.

Beast Mastery also alters your Hunter’s Quarry class feature. When you use Hunter’s Quarry, your quarry can be either the enemy nearest to you that you can see or the enemy nearest to your beast companion that you can see. You or your beast companion can deal the extra damage from Hunter’s Quarry, but only one of you can deal this extra damage per round.

Your beast companion is considered a creature and an ally and can be affected by powers. A cleric can heal it with healing word, a warlord can give it a melee basic attack with commander’s strike, and so forth. You and your beast companion are treated as separate creatures.

You can have only one beast companion at a time. You can dismiss your beast companion at any time, but gaining a new one isn’t a simple task.The link between a ranger and his or her beast companion is not one of master and servant but of two close friends.

As part of the training you underwent that allowed you to form a close bond with a beast, you learned the Raise Beast Companion ritual, which allows you to raise your companion from the dead, even if you are otherwise unable to master and perform rituals.
Now this, this is cool and actually makes me want to play a Ranger (they're my least liked class in 4e). Best guess, taking this replaces Ranger Fighting Style and Prime Shot, but only because if it just replaced Fighting Style it would seem a mite unbalanced.

Rogue: RUTHLESS RUFFIAN
You are proficient with the club and the mace, and you can use those weapons with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a light blade. If you use a club or a mace to deliver an attack that has the rattling keyword, add your Strength modifier to the damage roll.
Clearly a variant for Rogue Tactics. Clubbing people over the head with blunt objects sounds very appealing, I can finally play Garret from the Thief games.

Warlord: BRAVURA PRESENCE
When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.
No need to think about it, certainly a variant for Commanding Presence. not sure how many ally players would want to make use of it. Interested to see what the Bravura-linked powers will be like, guess they're going for the bold, daring, reckless leader archetype.

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
There's one more for the warlord:

RESOURCEFUL PRESENCE
When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, that attack gains a bonus to damage equal to one-half your level + your Intelligence modifier. If the attack hits no target, the ally gains temporary hit points equal to one-half your level + your Charisma modifier.

darukaru

Retired User
Kinda interesting that they're providing a battlerager variant for the Fighter when we have the barbarian coming out next year. The stacking temporary hp is amazing.
Seems like they're covering their bases with this one--for someone who doesn't like the primal/totemic barbarian, here's how to make a guy who wears light armor and beats the hell out of people without supernatural assistance, but still does the job of a defender.

JyP

Ziven et son accordéon
Validated User
<snip the species text>
A beast companion’s species doesn’t affect its game statistics, which are based on its category and level.
unlike D&D3, it seems the beast companion doesn't gain any levels ? Well, you need Martial Power to know ;) Or I see an old lvl 1 ranger with a tyrannosaurus beast companion :D
not cool, only one set of actions, the beast doesn't have it's own set of actions, if I read it correctly :(
so no set of actions, but you must add XPs to encounters as if it were an ally ?

Failed Saving Throw

Validated User
unlike D&D3, it seems the beast companion doesn't gain any levels ? Well, you need Martial Power to know ;) Or I see an old lvl 1 ranger with a tyrannosaurus beast companion :D
You know what's funny about that? Has anyone run a high-level campaign with a druid who "optimized" his animal companion? The flavor of it gets so stupid after a while. Like basically the druid spends a night praying and suddenly he's got a fuckin' T-Rex following him around like a puppy. Lame.

Top Bottom