• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[4e+] Let's Read: Worlds and Monsters

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ok, let's all go back, to before the actual release of 4e, to one of the two 4e preview books: Worlds and Monsters.

First thing we have is credits and table of contents. I wouldn't really bother to mention these, except to note that I'm not familiar with Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, who was the editor of this. Did she edit the main 4e books as well?

and now on to...

D&D and the Birth of a New Edition

Well, what do you all want to talk about here? The thing that jumps out to me is the dates. They started to seriously discuss a 4e in early 2005, and begun work on in it May of that year. Almost 10 years ago! When was 3.5e released, to put that in perspective?

A fair amount of focus on making the game more fun, cutting out the not-fun bits, which is typical of how they talked about 4e.

I'm not reaaaaally sure that 4e was necessary for D&D Insider. I could definitely see a 3.5e set of tools being possible.

On the opposite page... some Wayne Reynolds art. It's funny to see this here now, because his artwork was pretty much synonymous with 3e.

Peter LaCara

Outsmarts bullets
Validated User
Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes mostly worked for the Magic: the Gathering creative team doing world building and flavor text and stuff like that. I hadn't realized that she worked on this book, which is probably one of the reasons that I like it so much.

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes mostly worked for the Magic: the Gathering creative team doing world building and flavor text and stuff like that. I hadn't realized that she worked on this book, which is probably one of the reasons that I like it so much.
As far as I can tell, she's still on the Magic team. (By which I mean, I googled her name and her linkedin profile still lists her being at WotC)

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I'm not reaaaaally sure that 4e was necessary for D&D Insider. I could definitely see a 3.5e set of tools being possible.
I think a character builder would have been great for almost all D&D editions. Image a comprehensive 2e DDI which has the stuff from all of the 12,975 splat books!

On the opposite page... some Wayne Reynolds art. It's funny to see this here now, because his artwork was pretty much synonymous with 3e.
Could you post some selected art pieces? Maybe some of them are on WotC site anyway. :)

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Well, what do you all want to talk about here? The thing that jumps out to me is the dates. They started to seriously discuss a 4e in early 2005, and begun work on in it May of that year. Almost 10 years ago! When was 3.5e released, to put that in perspective?
Didn't the preview books mention that the early draft eventually turned into Tome of Battle, which was printed August 2006? They obviously worked on it hard from the beginning, when in a year and a bit they already made a draft, decided against it, reworked it into 3.x supplement and got it into print.

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Didn't the preview books mention that the early draft eventually turned into Tome of Battle, which was printed August 2006? They obviously worked on it hard from the beginning, when in a year and a bit they already made a draft, decided against it, reworked it into 3.x supplement and got it into print.
Personally I do not know. I suppose if that was the case, it'd be in the Races & Classes book?

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Could you post some selected art pieces? Maybe some of them are on WotC site anyway. :)
Can do... and actually I'm somewhat wrong, in that Reynolds did the cover art for PHB1 and I think also MM and DMG1. And he's done tons of work for Paizo for Pathfinder.

e.g.

Spoiler: Show

Last edited:
Top Bottom