• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[4E] New Playtest Race at Midnight

grimjaws

Validated User
And i really like the wilden - birdmen and frogmen are better? Come on! The idea that the feywild spawns its own protector race to counter the threat from the Far Realm is fucking awesome!
Wilden-for-me. :)
I really like them too. It's the first race that has inspired me to make some crunch related things. Inspired by the Nature's Aspect powers I was reminded of the old shapeshifting dryads of Warhammer, IIRC around 5th edition, and am now working on a series racial feats (I think they would be most appropriate) based on Celtic Ogham symbolism.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
I really like them too. It's the first race that has inspired me to make some crunch related things. Inspired by the Nature's Aspect powers I was reminded of the old shapeshifting dryads of Warhammer, IIRC around 5th edition, and am now working on a series racial feats (I think they would be most appropriate) based on Celtic Ogham symbolism.
Well, then the playtest has achieved one of its goals. :)

Apologies to all by the way for being grumpy last night. It was a late night.

Professor Phobos

Sweeper of Arcane Lore
Validated User
And i really like the wilden - birdmen and frogmen are better? Come on! The idea that the feywild spawns its own protector race to counter the threat from the Far Realm is fucking awesome!
Wilden-for-me. :)
I know! They're plant monsters who fight Cthulhu. How cool is that? Pretty damn cool.

Now they just need a manifested ghost race of shades coalescing in the Shadowfell to defeat Far Realm incursions over on that side to have a good mirror.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
Wilden is no dumber than Killoren was. Which, admittedly, doesn't say much.
I find the name hugely forgettable. I never used killoren in 3.5, never thought about them much, didn't even own Races of the Wild, and I *still* have to force myself to think "wilden" rather than "killoren."

But at least it's not badger-dwarves.

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
Well, I can only respond to the discussion in this thread, but their concept sounds cool to me.

As far as traditional fantasy goes, well, what's left? What races are missing from 4e now that honestly count as traditional? Because, y'know, for D&D, the obvious one was gnomes, and they just covered that. To me, devas and goliaths and the shifters seem about as non-traditional as these wilder.

And as far as fey defenders of nature go, I don't really see the eladrin or gnomes that way. The eladrin, despite the more powerful ones being linked with elements or whatnot, are mostly oriented around the arcane and are living in isolated enclaves. If this was Tolkien, they'd be a race whose time is perhaps past and they should head to the Undying Lands. The gnomes have escaped from slavery and are trying to get by.

Runequest Slayers had vegetation-based "elves" and they were pretty cool. I think I'd look forward to playing a wilden more than, say, a deva or goliath. edit: they were called the Tuathae.

Last edited:

conviction

Validated User
Two things.

Firstly, I have concluded that I like the Wilden, but I am still a bit leery on the name. I thing one thing that would have helped immensely would be if we had some feats and a racial paragon path to go with this playtest. Those have always been good for pinpointing the flavor of a race.

Second, I like that DnD is going for a more cosmopolitan, less traditional stance towards player races. Now, I know some people don't want taverns to be like the Mos Eisley cantina in terms of race variety, but I really do enjoy the broader variety of races. I for one am glad we are getting away from just Tolkien style fantasy to a far more general form of it.

Now, to wait for the Thri Keen, Synads, and Dromites to eventually be playable.

Last edited:

hong

Big glowy smiley-thing
Well, I can only respond to the discussion in this thread, but their concept sounds cool to me.

As far as traditional fantasy goes, well, what's left? What races are missing from 4e now that honestly count as traditional? Because, y'know, for D&D, the obvious one was gnomes, and they just covered that.
All the Oriental Adventures races would be on the list, for me. :)

Ms. Frost

Don't be stupid, Debbie.
Hmm, somewhat disappointing to me. Well, okay -- I guess the fluff is kind of interesting but the concept art really turns me off. I guess I'd prefer something that looks more like a heavily anthropomorphized plant (or maybe I should say a botanomorphized humanoid) than a weird bug-alien.

But then again, my preferences for PC races are those that I can at least tangentially tie to real-world folklore. I do like devas (Hindu/Persian spirits) and goliaths (giborim, or a tribe of brutes like their namesake) from PH2 and even genasi from FR (lesser genies), but these wilden I find a bit harder to swallow. Personal taste, I guess.

Chocobo

Retired User
I had hoped it would take somewhat longer to start scraping the bottom of that barrel. There are plenty of more interesting races that haven't been covered yet. But I guesss that they have included 1 "Races of 3.5 Bloat" race per PHB thus far - no reason to stop.

I'm generally opposed to the sort of species bloat that makes Wilden necessary when stuff like Dryads already exist. But I understand that D&D isn't opposed to that at all. Must kill new things, even if these new things make no sense. That's ok, I can deal with that.

But playing all these absurd new races? Sorry, that doesn't interest me at all. I'm already interested in PHB 3 because I know the monk is going to be in it, but if I didn't know that already... this preview would be pointing out to me that PHB is full of wierd crap I have no interest in.

Top Bottom