• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[4e] Weapon/Implements for Paladins?

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm going to be playing a Paladin in an Eberron game soon, and am trying to find enhantments that I can put on my weapon which will let it count as a holy symbol. There seem to be loads of them for other classes, but the lowest level ones which a paladin can use are a) +2 enchantment only* and b) only apply to maces, hammers or flails**. Is a heavy blade-wielding paladin going to be stuck with maintaining a weapon and a holy symbol until the Holy Avenger appears?

Is there an enchantment I've missed, and if not can anyone think of a good reason to disallow such a weapon enchantment (I can try asking my GM)?

* we're starting at level 2, so I won't be able to get one of those for a while
** I really want a heavy blade for the +3 to hit, as I'll be starting with both Str and Cha at 16

Last edited:

Narshal

Renaissance gamer
Validated User
I'm going to be playing a Paladin in an Eberron game soon, and am trying to find enhantments that I can put on my weapon which will let it count as a holy symbol. There seem to be loads of them for other classes, but the lowest level ones which a paladin can use are a) +2 enchantment only* and b) only apply to maces, hammers or flails**. Is a heavy blade-wielding paladin going to be stuck with maintaining a weapon and a holy symbol until the Holy Avenger appears?

Is there an enchantment I've missed, and if not can anyone think of a good reason to disallow such a weapon enchantment (I can try asking my GM)?

* we're starting at level 2, so I won't be able to get one of those for a while
** I really want a heavy blade for the +3 to hit, as I'll be starting with both Str and Cha at 16
Please note that level 6 items start showing up in treasure bundles as soon as level 2. So +2 items will start showing up at those levels.

Looking at the compendium, I don't see a level 1 to 3 item with the property you seek.

So best option is asking your DM to put one in a treasure.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been looking for just such a thing myself and I really haven't had any luck at all. Perhaps you could ask your GM if you could make a Crusader's Sword instead of a hammer or mace. I don't think it really breaks anything to do so.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
Divine classes don't really need weapon/implements, since you don't need to wield a holy symbol to use it.

Icarium

Validated User
This is one of my major peeves with D&D magical items. There's a lot of times when an item is restricted for no real reason. Not for balance or for metaphor, but just due to precedent (the Sunblade...apparently an axe or hammer can't glow like the sun) or such.

While it's easy to reskin, some GMs don't /allow/ tweaking that sort of thing unless the game explicitly says you can. It'd be better if the items were more open in general.

Anyway, no. There's no low level one. My paladin at low level was going around with a holy symbol of good fortune. Really good holy symbol.

Andurion

Validated User
There are no low level implements weapons for paladins. I'd like to use low level versions of a holy avenger (which is out of your range of course), but my group disdains anything not used in the Character Builder. :) I'd really like to be able to make my own magic items for use with that app...

Holy Avenger
Lvl 5 +1 1,000 gp
Lvl 10 +2 5,000 gp
Lvl 15 +3 25,000 gp
Lvl 20 +4 125,000 gp
Lvl 25 +5 625,000 gp
Lvl 30 +6 3,125,000 gp
Weapon: Axe, Hammer, Heavy Blade
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 radiant damage per plus
Property: A holy avenger deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage when the power you use to make the attack has the radiant keyword. The die type increases to 1d8 at level 15 and to 1d10 at level 25.
Property: On a critical hit you can spend a healing surge.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. You and each ally within 10 squares of you gain a +1 power bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses until the end of your next turn. At level 15 the bonus increases to +3. At level 25 the bonus increases to +5.
Special: A holy avenger can be used as a holy symbol. It adds its enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls and the extra damage granted by its property (if applicable) when used in this manner. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus on an attack when using a holy avenger as an implement.

Last edited:

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Divine classes don't really need weapon/implements, since you don't need to wield a holy symbol to use it.
But then I need to spend enough money to on both a weapon *and* an implement. If I were any other implement/weapon using class (including the avenger, another *divine* class), I could get a +1 weapon which also functioned as an implement. As I'm splitting my stats, I really don't want to end up behind the curve with magical bonuses or switch to a non-heavy blade weapon.

Looks like I'll have to ask my GM to make the mace/hammer-enchant. apply to swords as well and hope he says yes :). Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User
But then I need to spend enough money to on both a weapon *and* an implement. If I were any other implement/weapon using class (including the avenger, another *divine* class), I could get a +1 weapon which also functioned as an implement. As I'm splitting my stats, I really don't want to end up behind the curve with magical bonuses or switch to a non-heavy blade weapon.

Looks like I'll have to ask my GM to make the mace/hammer-enchant. apply to swords as well and hope he says yes :). Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
If he won't bend the Triple Flail has the stats of a bastard sword.

Otherwise just don't take Implement powers or use a basic Magic Holy Symbol for awhile. With the usual level 2 items/gold you can have a level 3, level 2 and 2 level 1 items which gives you a weapon, armor, amulet and holy symbol.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
This sort of thing is why I think the magic item economy is stupid. Enhancement bonuses are a legacy rule and should have been folded into level scaling.

Top Bottom