• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

5 Player Board Game Recomendations

Knaight

Validated User
This looks like more our kind of thing, but looks like the only copies for sale in the uk are going for £150-£350...
It looks like it might be out of print - keep an eye out for used copies though. That said, alternate options:

Architects of the West Kingdom is a worker placement game where you get to place a lot of workers, interfere with other players workers, and generally just play differently than other worker placement games. It's solid, with a fun theme around cathedral building (and other strategies, I've won without touching the cathedral before).

RadioKen

repeated and willful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Euphoria is nice, yes. Is not my favorite as it is RadioKen, but is good, and it is one of the games in our collection that is kinda of a go-to when we find ourselves being 5.

Not the go-to because some in the club hate the game, but you know what, dont pay attention, we are full of curmudgeons :p
I will admit that one of the reasons I like Euphoria so much is that, while I am generally not good at worker-placement games, I am good at Euphoria. I think it's because the game provides a lot of paths to victory and you don't have to focus heavily on any one to get there, so being easily distracted isn't punished as heavily as it is in, say, Agricola.

Tonbo_Karasu

Validated User
I recommended Battle for Rokugan on a different thread not that long ago, and will recommend it again. 3-5 players, strategic, lots of decision making but not too long.

Victim

Validated User
I will admit that one of the reasons I like Euphoria so much is that, while I am generally not good at worker-placement games, I am good at Euphoria. I think it's because the game provides a lot of paths to victory and you don't have to focus heavily on any one to get there, so being easily distracted isn't punished as heavily as it is in, say, Agricola.
Really? In Agricola, you end up losing points for not having a clear farm and all the different types of foods/animals IIRC so it can pay to do everything, while in Euphoria you start to take ramping penalties if you start missing contributions to the main buildings. There are also the tracks that don't really pay off much until you advance far enough. So Euphoria, it seems more punishing to get distracted.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Sidereal Confluence! A negotiation and trading game where the best move is...to be as fair as possible and get along. Because a rising tide lifts all boats! And the more resources that are running through the game's collective economy, the greater everyone's score will be. It plays from 3 to 9(!) players with the length of the game remaining...more or less the same no matter how many people are running (about two or so hours). Every player gets their own race and all the races are playing the same game, but each plays it in their own way: whether you're playing the space wasps who have access to their own deck of planets that they can put into play and use or sell, or the space dragons who fly around in their nomadic flotilla - with their ludicrously expensive, but oh so rewarding!, resource generators (and to get them running, you might well promise to give resources you don't even have yet to other players!). And speaking of promises, all promises are binding. Players can make deals in total security: a thing that makes the entire game hum happily without the usual, cut-throat nastiness that sometimes appears in other negotiation games. Honestly, it's one of the best designed games I've played in years and a truly genius amount of work has gone into balancing and realising the concept.

In the interests of disclosure, the game has two weaknesses: the manual is not exactly the best, but it's not a complicated game so that is surmountable. And it's produced by WizKids. So the game looks like arse. Eminently functional arse that all is scrupulously efficient and easy to read at the table. But arse. It is also, and I must stress this, primarily a negotiation game. Which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, even if it's personally my catnip.

Both Shut Up and Sit Down, and No Pun Included have extremely positive reviews that can give you more of an idea about the game, if you want more info.

RadioKen

repeated and willful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Really? In Agricola, you end up losing points for not having a clear farm and all the different types of foods/animals IIRC so it can pay to do everything, while in Euphoria you start to take ramping penalties if you start missing contributions to the main buildings. There are also the tracks that don't really pay off much until you advance far enough. So Euphoria, it seems more punishing to get distracted.
I guess that makes sense, but all I can say is that keeping a lot of different irons in the fire and exploiting the hell out of opportunities when they show up has been a very rewarding strategy for my Euphoria game, and much less so for Agricola, Viticulture, and Village. Maybe it's the people I play with, I dunno.

EDIT: Also, I think it's very difficult to win at Euphoria if you're not working multiple paths at once. There are lots of ways to place influence markers, and if you overlook any of them you're going to get sniped by somebody else at the table.

oni no won

Validated User
Roll for the Galaxy is a dice game version of Race for the Galaxy. An advantage over the card game is that each tile has easily understood effects whereas the card game relied too heavily on symbols that players had to constantly look up. The game goes quickly and is great for any number up to 5 players. The only complaints I've come across is that it relies on the honesty of each player when placing dice on actions.

Navegador- A boardgame that uses the Rhondel wheel. It has almost no luck. Each player goes round the wheel which is made up of actions. It also has a fun economic mechanic.

Railways of the World- a track laying, block moving game that I enjoy and I normally don't like train themed games.

Caverna- The BEST worker placement game I've had the pleasure to play.

RoboRally- One of my favorite games to play when especially when we have 6 or more players.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Roll for the Galaxy is a dice game version of Race for the Galaxy. An advantage over the card game is that each tile has easily understood effects whereas the card game relied too heavily on symbols that players had to constantly look up. The game goes quickly and is great for any number up to 5 players. The only complaints I've come across is that it relies on the honesty of each player when placing dice on actions.
I love Roll, and I'd argue it actually plays much better at higher player counts than lower ones. It plays very well at 4 and 5 players. My one demerit against Roll is that it can sometimes take awhile for people to grok the rules.

If we've already talked about Kemet then the next suggestion should probably be Cyclades and Inis to finish off Matagot's "mythology" set. Inis currently only plays 4, but apparently an upcoming expansion adds a 5th player. All 3 games are good, and other than all of them literally being "dudes on a map" they're extremely different games.

Different "dudes on a map" games would be the mythology pair of games from CMoN and Eric Lang Blood Rage and Rising Sun. Both play 5, Rising Sun will play up to 6 with expansions. Again, both are VERY different games IMO.

Food Chain Magnate will play 5. I don't know what you think of Splotter games, but I like it quite a bit.

Something a bit shorter in the 60 - 90 minute range would be Manhattan Project a worker placement game that plays up to 5 about building nuclear weapons. Tons of fun. Still maybe my favorite worker placement game. Another good Worker Placement game would be Viticulture. I highly suggest buying the expansion Tuscany for it though, it really adds to the game experience.

If you're looking for Role Selection and Area Control, Mission Red Planet will play up to 6 and generally takes about 90 minutes.

The OP mentioned Dinosaur Island at the top of the thread. The new Totally Liquid expansion for Dinosaur Island takes the player count up to 5.

There's always the classic Puerto Rico.

The expansion allows you to play Orleans with 5. I haven't played it with that many players, but I do love it with 4.

If you want a big 4x space game, Eclipse 1e will play up to 9 with expansions (6 in the base game). Eclipse 2e is currently under production and plays 6 as expansions haven't been created yet.

Keyflower is one of the most vicious Euros I've played, and it plays better at 5 and 6 players than at lower player counts.

Fury of Dracula is probably my favorite "1 vs All" games, and it plays best with 5.

The expansion to Pillars of the Earth will take the player count all the way to 6 very gracefully, and it's a classic Worker Placement game that IMO I wish other games would copy some of its mechanisms more.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
One word of warning for -- as a colorblind player, I find the game almost too difficult to play. Some of the colors are very hard to tell apart.

Ethnos is a card-driven area control game where you turn in matching sets of cards to place control tokens on various regions on a map. Each card has a region and a fantasy race on it. The region on the top card of your stack is where your token goes, and whichever race is on top has its special ability trigger. You can turn in sets of all the same race or all the same region, but the number of cards has to exceed the number of tokens you already have in the region you're trying to claim. Some races also have side boards that offer other point scoring options (orcs go on raids, merfolk have their own separate scoring track, etc). Works really well at all player counts.

Top Bottom