• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

#54: D&D on its head...

g026r

I'm a boat
Validated User
Re: #54: D&D on its head...

The representatives of the Reeducation Committee will be arriving shortly.
If he's lucky he just gets Reeducation. If he's unlucky, he gets declared an Enemy of the People -- and since this a D&D thread there's really only one thing that can be done with Enemies of the People...

That's right: kill them and redistribute their stuff.

:D

simontmn

Validated User

Speaking as one of Gary's players, my only complaint about his game is that there weren't NEARLY enough Asian Wiccan Lesbians playing with us.
To be honest, I've had a gay male Asian player and at least one Caucasian Wicca lesbian player in my London table games, but I don't think I've had an Asian Wicca Lesbian... :( PBEM is a different story, of course. :D

simontmn

Validated User

If he's lucky he just gets Reeducation. If he's unlucky, he gets declared an Enemy of the People...
Oh, I've no doubt one or the other fate shall befall me eventually. :(

I think though these days Reeducation has been rebranded as Diversity Counselling, right?

Admiral_C

Bleeds Old School
Validated User

If he's lucky he just gets Reeducation. If he's unlucky, he gets declared an Enemy of the People -- and since this a D&D thread there's really only one thing that can be done with Enemies of the People...

That's right: kill them and redistribute their stuff.

:D
lol Beautiful.

Toxoplasma

Deletrious Protozoan
Validated User

The implication that D&D ought be rewritten as College Liberal: the Handwringing, that doing so would somehow make the game better, and that we better arrange this right now or this chap will have a very big sulk at us, kind of loses me.

Verdict: unacceptable petty-bourgeoisie left deviation. Salt mines.
Arrange for railway car that smells of pee.

SaintTzu

Banned

People who want to build realistic and believeable models of ANY sort of culture shouldn't use D&D -- they'd be happier using something else. Doing this in D&D is rather like using a hammer to pound in screws. It will probably work, but it's not the best way to do things.

I'm totally serious.
This is my thinking also.

D&D doesn't even model its background material (Tolkien/Howard/Vance/etc) with any accuracy, much less reality (pretty much however you want to define it).

I can't even follow 'It will probably work' too closely as it would seem very quickly to stop being any sort of D&D.

*sends the Geezer an e-pint of stout served just below room temperature*

Old Geezer

Banned

This is my thinking also.

D&D doesn't even model its background material (Tolkien/Howard/Vance/etc) with any accuracy, much less reality (pretty much however you want to define it).

I can't even follow 'It will probably work' too closely as it would seem very quickly to stop being any sort of D&D.

*sends the Geezer an e-pint of stout served just below room temperature*

Well, howdy, stranger!:p

(Actually D&D DOES model certain parts of its background VERY well. What parts those are will have to wait for my future column, "Tales from the Fortress of Geezertude".)

SaintTzu

Banned

Well, howdy, stranger!:p

(Actually D&D DOES model certain parts of its background VERY well. What parts those are will have to wait for my future column, "Tales from the Fortress of Geezertude".)

On this topic I'll happily bow to your expertise, bring on the column!

falstaffe

Validated User

Even if the OP was a bit over-the-top, I do agree that having whole races of beings that are just innately evil (or whose purpose is to be slaughtered by the PC's) is a simplistic and old-fashioned. Look at the original Star Trek--all Klingons were all bad guys all the time.

Fast forward to the TNG era and beyond. Now, Klingons are still militaristic and battle-happy, but that doesn't make them "evil." Are they still the bad guys? Sometimes. Are they on the same side as the heroes? Sometimes. That uncertainty makes good grist for the story mill. Apply the same approach to fantasy rpg's --your players run into an orc, is he an ally? An enemy?

Anyway, setting up a whole race of beings as the antagonist is just *lazy* GM'ing. In my last campaign (a sky-kingdoms romp) *everyone* was a pink-skin. Did that mean the heroes sat around the camp fire singing Kumbayah? Of course not. The heroes had to respond to the schemes of various power-mongers. Threats can come from any race, any time, and usually for the worst reasons: jealousy, greed, fear, revenge, etc.

simontmn

Validated User

Anyway, setting up a whole race of beings as the antagonist is just *lazy* GM'ing.
You mean it's effective and doesn't take much effort? I think actually creating a race that is 100% hostile is actually pretty challenging to follow through on, it's so far from the way we see the world. I'd like to run my orcs as the inscrutably alien, demonic beings from The House on the Borderland, but too often they end up as just mildly obnoxious humans with a snout. Same goes for goblins et al.

Top Bottom