[5e] First Book of 2019 to have “Nautical Themes”

NobodyImportant

Validated User
In a twitch stream, Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch recently confirmed that the first official DnD 5e book of 2019 will be nautical themed, including mock covers, each of which included the tagline “Everything you need to float your boat for the world's greatest roleplaying game.”, and a new piece of official artwork featuring a sea serpent.

According to the stream, a total of three new releases are planned for 2019, as well as a new adventure to be announced in May.

Article: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/04/dungeons-and-dragons-2019-book-nautical/

If this is what I suspect - some sort of nautical equivalent of Volo’s guide, with ship rules in place of new races - I’m very excited. Maybe they’ll finally find a niche locathahs can fill that can’t be filled by merfolk.

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’m intrigued. Was the last nautical themed book for D&D Stormwrack? Man that was a looong time ago. 4e’s Adventurer’s Vault had ships I think, or was it Adventurers Vault 2? Man I hope its a Spelljammer friendly book

Last edited:

vitruvian

Validated User
In a twitch stream, Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch recently confirmed that the first official DnD 5e book of 2019 will be nautical themed, including mock covers, each of which included the tagline “Everything you need to float your boat for the world's greatest roleplaying game.”, and a new piece of official artwork featuring a sea serpent.

According to the stream, a total of three new releases are planned for 2019, as well as a new adventure to be announced in May.

Article: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/04/dungeons-and-dragons-2019-book-nautical/

If this is what I suspect - some sort of nautical equivalent of Volo’s guide, with ship rules in place of new races - I’m very excited. Maybe they’ll finally find a niche locathahs can fill that can’t be filled by merfolk.
Or a place that Triton PCs can hail from, with conflicts with the sahaugin and so on.

Although more detail on Luskan and lots of pirate, privateer, and swashbuckling action would not go amiss. Does anyone know whether whaling, possibly including harvesting of parts from other/larger sea monsters, is any kind of major industry in the Forgotten Realms? Because if so, that would be a great inclusion here as well, including conundrums about the morality or lack thereof of it all.

Last edited:

Dzhay

Trust a flumph.
Validated User
Probable: a book of ship rules with a few subclasses and a race or two, mostly setting neutral with a bit about some not-too-"exotic" part of the Forgotten Realms. Maybe a bit about spelljammers, but few details.

Possible: Spelljammer setting detail, 4e Astral Plane ships

A man can dream: Red Steel.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Maybe we will get the D&D equivalent of "Skulls & Shackles".

I think the Inner Sea was the primary pirate playground in earlier editions, wasn't it?

Kettlehelm

Validated User
I don't know, pirates seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they are condoning piratical activities.

Face of the hobby, corrupting the youth, that sort of thing.

neutrondecay

An Experience
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maybe we will get the D&D equivalent of "Skulls & Shackles".

I think the Inner Sea was the primary pirate playground in earlier editions, wasn't it?
There are two different sets of 'Pirate Isles' in Faerun itself - one in the Sea of Fallen Stars and another - the Nelanther - in the Trackless Sea. And then across the Great Sea are the Corsair Domains of northern Zakhara. And one of the coastal cities in Shou Lung is a pirate haven, and some parts of Wa are quite piratical, and that's all without going within 200 miles of Luskan...

nd

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As for the name of the book, my money's on: "Melf's Guide to the Fisherman's Friends."

Top Bottom