• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[5e] First Book of 2019 to have “Nautical Themes”

Dirigible

space respect
Validated User
I don't know, pirates seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they are condoning piratical activities.

Face of the hobby, corrupting the youth, that sort of thing.

I don't know, bloodsucking undead tyrants seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they're condoning vampiric activities.

Jet Bastard

Validated User
I feel like there's lots of ways to make Pirates palatable, even if they are robbing people. Shoot, in the Forgotten Realms you've got plenty of legitimate-enough evil organizations that you can Robin Hood for ages and not run out of corrupt noble houses, wicked merchant princes, Zhentarim, etc.

Or you can go the route of the Disney Pirates movies, and mostly have Pirates hunting lost treasures and dealing with rivals. Very little of the actual historical ugliness of mercantile robbery needs to be involved. Have your fun-loving light-hearted Pirate band of, say, Nelanther pirates put up against marauders from Luskan in the search for a lost temple of Gond that sank beneath the waves during the Time of Troubles and you're golden.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
I don't know, pirates seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they are condoning piratical activities.

Yeah cause Pirates could never be made acceptable for the youngins.

I could also break out One Piece too. I mean Grand Line 3.5 is still a thing right?

I mean Hell, the Mighty Nein on Critical Role almost became Pirates, they were like two inches away from that.

So I think that ship has sailed (Pun intended).

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User

The pirate background made it into the 5e Players Hand Book. My first 5e Adventurers League character was a pirate and so was everyone else at that table.

Justice and Rule

I'm the crazy one.
Validated User

But honestly, a book that focuses on how to run maritime activities in general would be useful; I'm sure there are players out there who don't like using boats because they lack any sort of experience with them and there are a bunch of technical things that they'd have to do to really capture sailing and how all that stuff works. A good explainers guide into what you can do on the water would be great: break down different positions on a ship, what skills they use, etc, as well as how to use the environment (how to run storms, different kinds of weather and other things on a hsip). Lot of easy use for players and GMs alike. Along with that, maybe get a bit of how to do trade, give some water-themed subclasses (A high-dex, low armor Buccaneer subclass for fighters to compliment the Swashbuckler, a water cleric who isn't all storm and thunder, perhaps an elementalist wizard, etc... I do remember Mearls doing some rough work on a Kraken patron for Warlocks on his little create-a-subclass stream. Probably should include a reprint of the swashbuckler in here, too), some water-races for PCs and maybe some specialized feats to boot.

Top Bottom