[5e] First Book of 2019 to have “Nautical Themes”

VoidDrifter

Validated User
Probable: a book of ship rules with a few subclasses and a race or two, mostly setting neutral with a bit about some not-too-"exotic" part of the Forgotten Realms. Maybe a bit about spelljammers, but few details.

Possible: Spelljammer setting detail, 4e Astral Plane ships

A man can dream: Red Steel.
I don't recall Red Steel being a particularly "nautical" setting in AD&D? But something inspired by Red Steel, to create a crazy pirate-centric campaign setting with mutated pirates and gonzo races, would be sweet - that was the campaign setting that gave us tortles, rakasta, lupins and aranea as PC races in AD&D after they debuted in BECMI.

Spelljammer could be interesting, I guess, but I really think Spelljammer needs to shed so much of its baggage to successfully reinvent itself as a Sword & Planet/Space Fantasy/Space Opera setting that there probably wouldn't be anything left of the original Spelljammer setting.

Sigh... yeah, that seems the most probable result. I mean, I can deal with it being a 5e rendition of Stormwrack, there was some pretty good stuff in the 3e version, and new races & classes is always desirable, but I am so goddamned tired of the Forgotten Realms. I want the Nentir Vale back...

thewhippinggirl

Still being assembled.
Validated User
Spelljammer could be interesting, I guess, but I really think Spelljammer needs to shed so much of its baggage to successfully reinvent itself as a Sword & Planet/Space Fantasy/Space Opera setting that there probably wouldn't be anything left of the original Spelljammer setting.

Curious as to which baggage it might need to shed? Been playing with the idea of potentially doing something in 5e with it

Kitanin

75% resublimated thiotimoline by weight
Validated User
Clearly, it's a fake-out, and the nautical theme of the next book is... further adventures in the Dune Sea, as Dark Sun comes to 5e! :D

Old One Eye

Validated User
A Volo's/Mordenkainen's type book for sea critters and ships would be excellent. Fingers crosses it is a sourcebook and not an adventure.

Theodoric

Validated User
Explains the Unearthed Arcana articles, I guess. Definitely interesting stuff I might pilfer for my campaign (which is already barely recognisable as Tyranny of Dragons, anyway). February/March is pretty soon, too.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Well, I liked Stormwrack* (my favorite of the environmental series) and I got some aquatic based third party supplements, so I am excited for this.

* Speaking of which, if we get new races, I hope we get the darfallen and hadozee

I don't know, pirates seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they are condoning piratical activities.

Face of the hobby, corrupting the youth, that sort of thing.
Pirates were often ethnically diverse groups compared to the larger societies they lived in (and there were a surprising number of pirate women as well) who usually came from low cast backgrounds and liked to stick it to the rich men, so I dunno, they might be considered very pc.

They can also be very PC in a D&D sense, so it seems a solid choice for a theme.

Sadly, they don't make great personal computers.

A Volo's/Mordenkainen's type book for sea critters and ships would be excellent. Fingers crosses it is a sourcebook and not an adventure.
Oh right, it is probably an adventure isn't it.

But yeah, I would also love a Volo's/Mordenkainen's type book for sea critters and ships and will hope that is the case.

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So long as they don't use the UA ship rules, it probably will turn out ok
I don't know, pirates seem a little un-PC for the current D&D team, they might be worried of receiving too much flack if they seem like they are condoning piratical activities.

Face of the hobby, corrupting the youth, that sort of thing.
I know it's too late, but I didn't like how 5th edition decided to just rehash certain legacy elements which were paired down in 4th edition for good mechanical reasons, just to appease the sort of player who they would now realized is a toxic member of the community who wasn't likely going to buy a new book unless it explicitly pandered to them. The sort of intolerant community that MtG grapples with and complains that their are too many "wrong" people in the PHB because they could never empathizes with someone who didn't look exactly like them.

Also the pet-peeves that they boosted Demi-human ages back to the ridiculous extents they were and gave everyone Darkvision instead of Low-Light vision.

Moderator Text:

K Kettlehelm , you're doing a bunch of D&D 5e threadcrapping, something you already have two warnings for. Take a day off, and stop doing this.

VoidDrifter

Validated User
Curious as to which baggage it might need to shed? Been playing with the idea of potentially doing something in 5e with it
Mainly? The sheer unadulterated goofiness of it. Yes, that absolute light-hearted gonzo silliness is what its hardcore fans love about it, but that's also the same reason why it failed to really reach a wide market; instead of an actual space fantasy/sword & planet setting, it came off as this weird mishmash of a parody of the aforementioned and a glorified crossover mechanic for Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. Which is only logical, because Spelljammer was basically a protest by TSR at being forced to try and sell Lorraine Williams' Buck Rogers RPG, so they just threw together whatever the hell they wanted because they didn't care if it tanked. That's how we wound up with silliness like the Dohwar, Tinker Gnomes everywhere, and the Aperusa, who are literally every single stereotype of the gypsy as a lying cheating cowardly scoundrel, but in space.

If Spelljammer wants to be successful, in my opinion, it needs to shed the baggage of being "that silly setting" and reinvent itself as a legitimate space fantasy setting. But doing that probably means getting rid of many things that, whilst they turned off the wider audience, are still near and dear to the hardcore fans' hearts. Frankly, it'd be easier to just make a space fantasy setting from scratch and be done with the baggage altogether.

Well, I liked Stormwrack* (my favorite of the environmental series) and I got some aquatic based third party supplements, so I am excited for this.

* Speaking of which, if we get new races, I hope we get the darfallen and hadozee.
Since Hadozee originated as a Spelljammer race back in AD&D, whether this book is either Stormwrack for 5e or a 5e Spelljammer, I think your odds are good.

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Validated User
Pirates were often ethnically diverse groups compared to the larger societies they lived in (and there were a surprising number of pirate women as well) who usually came from low cast backgrounds and liked to stick it to the rich men, so I dunno, they might be considered very pc.

They can also be very PC in a D&D sense, so it seems a solid choice for a theme.
Also early adopters of democracy!

Top Bottom