• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(5e) I feel so lost

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It feels so satisfying to complete my characters story arc, but now I am left unsure of my place in the party and I was so surprised to reach the conclusion of the trouble that I pitched to my DM as part of my characters concept that I wonder if I should even keep playing her or simply retire.

I really wasn’t expecting to be able to defeat my character’s patron until I was at a double digit level, let alone level 3. Granted the big fight was carried by high level party members who were at level 7 and 11 respectively while the 1st level cleric was dropped by a single attack.

The DM has ruled that I cannot progress further in my warlock class, which makes sense I suppose since my patron is dead but also sucks because I was really hoping to drag my trouble out, and was looking forward to interacting with my chain pact familiar. Also this makes me feel even further behind the high level characters and the other two characters that like me just hit level 4, only they don’t have to multiclass so they qualify for ability score increases/feats.

Not used to feeling so torn.

Terhali

Serene Green Queen
Validated User
A level 1 character is in the same party as a level 11 character? Three of you just hit level 4? What are the low level PCs able to contribute?

I'm sorry your PC's career as a warlock ended so much sooner than you planned. If you feel like there's some satisfaction in completing that story arc, maybe it's time to retire her and get a fresh start. It wouldn't take long to catch up to the level 4 PCs, so you wouldn't be permanently missing out on the ABIs.

Skaorn

Validated User
Will your DM let you switch to a new patron, more fitting to your character now?

Also I don't think I have seen such level disparity in a DnD game either. The closest thing like it involved 2nd Ed, a character dual classing, and a Deck of Many Things.

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
Many years ago, I had a character who had a fairly classic "I am hunting for the evil wizard who ruined my life/sold me into slavery/messed with my family" backstory. My assumption was that my nemesis would be a recurring villain who I would meet with, time and again, before maybe finally bringing him down late in the campaign.

Instead, somewhere around level 2, our party managed to catch him low on spells, and curb stomped him.

At which point, I broke out the "I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it is over, I don't know what I shall do."

And that became the rest of the characters story. Sadly, I had to drop out of the campaign for other reasons, but my plan (which I got to partially enact) was to play out his struggle of trying to figure out how to make a life for himself when his purpose was suddenly taken from him.

Seems like you could do something similar with this character, if you so wanted. You just lost your patron? Ok....now what? Do you retire? Do you keep fighting? What do you fight for? How?

I guess the question is, what do you want to get from playing the character? Do you want to keep advancing as a warlock? If so, could you find another patron? Could you advance in other classes? Which ones?

I feel like you could tell some interesting stories with this setup, but whether or not you want to is up to you.

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My concept was a noble woman who lost her husband on their wedding night and was unable to raise him from the dead, made a deal with a devil called Suighille to return her beloved to life in exchange for a certain number of souls, and that the devil had no intention of resurrecting her husband and instead would disguise an imp as the husband so I get to play a tragic romance drama.

During play the hell husband returned when I hit level 3 and after a fade to black implied sex scene, the hell husband was revealed as an imposter. The higher level PCs discovered of a way to break an infernal pact by slaying the patron. Which occurred, so now I am playing a widowed noble woman in a Game of Thrones inspired campaign, who has been disgraced in front of the whole family (many of whom are PCs) and I can’t progress as a warlock.

I just emailed the DM for clarification on which class features do I lose, and if it would be possible to convert warlock levels to another class, because I didn’t feel like I had a lot to contribute before (despite really enjoying the rp element) but now if I lose Pact Magic, I really am so nerfed that I feel weaker than the former 1st level cleric. The DM is using a milestone level up house rule to avoid keeping track of XP, so each session you level up until you hit level 4, then you level every two levels, until you reach level 10?, then every three levels and so forth.

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
So aside from the tragic romance angle, what did you enjoy about playing the character? If you go into something like a Wizard you could even keep up her quest to recover her husband's lost soul.

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You really just need a better DM.
Alas there are none better in my city. I mean there is always Adventurers League but ugh. The last DM I even tried playing a warlock in pulled a massive bait and switch that invalidated everyone’s class at the end of the first session.

Terhali

Serene Green Queen
Validated User
I just emailed the DM for clarification on which class features do I lose, and if it would be possible to convert warlock levels to another class, because I didn’t feel like I had a lot to contribute before (despite really enjoying the rp element) but now if I lose Pact Magic, I really am so nerfed that I feel weaker than the former 1st level cleric. The DM is using a milestone level up house rule to avoid keeping track of XP, so each session you level up until you hit level 4, then you level every two levels, until you reach level 10?, then every three levels and so forth.
With the milestone house rule, you wouldn't catch up as much as I thought. On the other hand, you may have just lost some of your basic class features with Pact Magic. If I were in your place, I would retire the PC if the DM wouldn't let me rebuild as a different class. It's really down to whether you enjoy the character enough to explore a new phase of her life, now that this story arc is ended.

To be honest, I doubt I would stay in the game anyway. I don't see how level 1 and level 11 characters could both participate, and from your brief description, it sounds like the higher level PCs are indeed running the show, with the rest of you as also-rans. Again, that's about my perception and my preferences. You're there, so you know how fair and fun it really is.

Crothian

Validated User
Alas there are none better in my city. I mean there is always Adventurers League but ugh. The last DM I even tried playing a warlock in pulled a massive bait and switch that invalidated everyone’s class at the end of the first session.
San Diego is a big city I'm sure there are better DMs out there. I know of at least one and I'm on the other side of the nation.

Top Bottom