[5e] Monster Manual artists -- sex/gender representation

stuffis

Validated User
There are 84 credited interior artists on the 5e Monster Manual (or rather, 82 single names, a pair, and what's presumably a group name).

Their first names follow, sorted by sex according to my best guess.

Please don't bother commenting on my 'assumptions' about the sex/gender of each artist.

(Of the six Art Directors credited, by the way, four have female-to-my-eyes names.)

Impressively international group (of names), wouldn't you say?!

------

dunno (13)
Sam
Conceptopolis --> betcha this isn't a single person's given name!
Emrah
Toma
E.M.
E.W.
jD
Kurt/Zelda --> if I were an illustrator I would insist on being credited as 'Kurt/Zelda'
Lake --> or 'Lake Inferior'
Brynn
Sam
Kieran
Min Yum --> I'm unclear on name order here!

look like women's names (7)
Julie
Emily
Lindsey
Kate
Carmen
Annie
Anne
Autumn Rain

look like men's names (63)
Tom
Daren
John-Paul
Mark
Eric
Michael
Zoltan --> horrible memories of ZOLTAR the fortune-teller from BIG, thanks a lot
Christopher
Aleksi
Filip
Christopher
Mike
Wesley
Milivoj
Jedd
Adam
Dave
Jesper
Wayne
Mike
Tomas
Lars
Jon
Ralph
Tyler
Vance
Daniel
Daniel
Raphael
Titus
Slawomir
Andrew
Christopher
Mark
Marco
Jim
Mark
Hector
Ryan
Adam
Jim
Steve
Vincent
Darrell
Ned
Scott
Jasper
Mike
Marc
Ilya
Craig
Zack
Matt
Raymond
Justin
Matias
Cory
Cyril
David
Franz
Richard
Ben
Mark

Airos

Actual tiger
Validated User
Conceptopolis --> betcha this isn't a single person's given name!
That is correct. http://conceptopolis.deviantart.com/

Conceptopolis, LLC started in 2006. Located near Cincinnati, Ohio (USA), Conceptopolis is an outsourcing partner to the toy, video game and entertainment industries. We are a visual production company which has worked on over 400 unique projects.

Conceptopolis offers the following 2D art services:
Pencil Illustrations
Digital Coloring
Book Cover and Interior Illustrations in Various Styles
Cartoon and Anime Style Illustrations
Industrial Design
Character and Environment Concepts
Comic Book Production

Clients Include: Mattel, Hasbro, Sony, Zynga, Scholastic, LEGO, 2K Games, Topps, WB Games, Activision, Wizards of the Coast - and others!

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Just out of curiosity: How many monsters do have an identifiable sex? Human, elves and halflings are probably obvious, but what about bullywugs or gibberlings?

The Storyteller

Devil's Advocate
Validated User
I'm pretty sure Kurt/Zelda is two people, one of each gender. Brynn is definitely a female name. Toma and Emrah are male names in the mideast. Kieran is traditionally a male name.

Sir Corvus

Validated User
Interesting.

Does anyone know what WoTC's hiring methods/policies are? Do they hand pick them out a pool or do they accept submissions?

Drechuin

I good kitty
Validated User
I think it means mainly that professional fantasy illustrators are mainly men.
I just done the same thing for the Pathfinder Monster Manual I (the closest thing of the DD Monster Manual) : 20 male names, 2 female names, 2 unknow names, 3 collectives.

The fact that they are mainly men may be a larger problem, but not the problem of a single company (just like I wouldn't blame a single K-12 school with mainly female teachers. However, it doesn't feel right on a nationwide level).

Devin Parker

Jesus Geek
Validated User
Interesting.

Does anyone know what WoTC's hiring methods/policies are? Do they hand pick them out a pool or do they accept submissions?
As far as I know, they accept submissions. Presumably the art director may choose artists that they've worked with before or maybe approach someone whose art they like and have seen elsewhere, but they have submission guidelines on their website. I would guess that forms the majority of their body of work, since WotC is a pretty attractive client for freelance fantasy illustrators.

I understand that getting hired to do work on Magic: The Gathering is considered a sign that you're doing pretty well for yourself (or is it that you've definitely "gotten your foot in the door"? One of those two things).

Last edited:
Top Bottom