[5e] Royal Bloodline Sorcerer Origin Feedback

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I want to be very up front about this: a lot of this material is taken from Brandes Stoddard from his blog here. In particular the fluff paragraphs at the beginning are his words, not mine. I've reworked most of the rest of the paragon path, though.

Royal Sorcery
Your innate power of sorcery comes from your connection, however distant, to the monarchs of old, who received the blessing of the gods to rule and protect their people. Perhaps you can still trace your lineage back to one of those kings or queens, or perhaps this all comes as something of a surprise. Sometimes a dying monarch can confer the power of the royal bloodline upon a worthy servant at the moment of passing. More than other sorcerous bloodlines, your power waxes and wanes according to your comportment and the heroic inspiration that comes from acting in accordance with your birthright.
In itself, of course, royal sorcery does not confer recognition of your royal blood or any sort of political rank. In some lands, royal sorcerers are held in a combination of awe and dread, and if their nature is discovered they are hunted down and arrested as presumed enemies of the state. (After all, usurpers aren't known for welcoming legitimate rulers back with open arms.)

Noblesse Oblige
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields, and one martial weapon of your choice.

Royal Presence
At 1st level, when you roll a natural 20 on a Charisma-based ability check, you gain 1 sorcery point (this may exceed your normal maximum by up to 2 points). When you roll a 1 on a Charisma-based ability check, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.

Royal Touch
At 6th level, you can spend 3 sorcery points to duplicate the effects of the lesser restoration spell. At 11th level, you can spend 9 sorcery points to duplicate the effects of the heal spell.

Dictum
At 14th level, when you cast an enchantment spell that charms another creature, that creature will no longer realize that you have used magic to influence it. When a creature fails to save against an enchantment spell you have cast, it will not realize that you have used magic to influence or change its behavior.

Grandeur
At 18th level, you can channel the majestic power of your royal blood. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of grandeur to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be charmed until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.

Simple question - is this reasonably balanced against Draconic and Wild Magic? And does anyone have any idea for a more unique 18th level ability?

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is silence golden in this case? I assume if this was too broken someone would have said something.

Justice and Rule

I'm the crazy one.
Validated User
Is silence golden in this case? I assume if this was too broken someone would have said something.
I would generally agree; typically you get more comments when people want to change things.

But to go through...

Noblesse Oblige
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields, and one martial weapon of your choice.
I believe using Shields is linked to the Medium Armor Proficiency, so you don't need to include that. I might give the option to choose betwen Medium Armor or a Skill Proficiency in something like Persuasion. Given the sort of style you are creating, an extra charisma skill in a class that is very lacking in skills would be very valuable.

Royal Presence
At 1st level, when you roll a natural 20 on a Charisma-based ability check, you gain 1 sorcery point (this may exceed your normal maximum by up to 2 points). When you roll a 1 on a Charisma-based ability check, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
I like these! They aren't terribly powerful given how rare they are, but it's a nice carrot to encourage a diplomatic playstyle.

Royal Touch
At 6th level, you can spend 3 sorcery points to duplicate the effects of the lesser restoration spell. At 11th level, you can spend 9 sorcery points to duplicate the effects of the heal spell.
Good choices. To suggest possible replacements to consider: Zone of Truth or Calm Emotions at 6th Level, Hero's Feast at 11th Level. Obvious it would necessitate a name change, but they would reflect the sort of awe of royal blood (Inspire bravery and ignore charm, prevent someone from lying), while Hero's Feast kind of does what Stoddard's Annoint Champion is meant to do without making up new rules.

Dictum
At 14th level, when you cast an enchantment spell that charms another creature, that creature will no longer realize that you have used magic to influence it. When a creature fails to save against an enchantment spell you have cast, it will not realize that you have used magic to influence or change its behavior.
Hm. Very similar to Alter Memories in the School of Enchantment. You're able to do less (can't alter memories beyond that), but failures are undetectable. I think that's a fair trade off.

Grandeur
At 18th level, you can channel the majestic power of your royal blood. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of grandeur to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be charmed until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.
An interesting spin on Draconic Presence. I think it's fine overall and works well as an 18th level power, though you might consider a small point increase given the synergy it shares with Dictum.

Overall, I really like the take. Sort of an Enchanter/Diplomat/Cult Leader. A final suggestion for a power: A version of Heroism that effects can effect multiple people, perhaps an area effect thing along the lines of Grandeur (but smaller radius). You might need to buff the hitpoint bonus (Add Ability Bonus plus Proficiency, or half proficiency if that's too much?), but that could be good for buffing allies and especially henchmen past what they would normally do. Perhaps a replacement for Dictum?

Last edited:

ThurstonShadwick

Validated User
I might take the 18th level power and allow you to cast Revivify for 3 points, or 1 point on anyone that has sworn fealty to you (I feel like that was an Arthurian thing), or a bucket of points to cast Create Undead turning any fallen vassal into a not automatically evil Mummy that is considered Charmed by you. Creating some kind of eternal court/army. Otherwise I like what you've got here.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I don't really know enough about 5e mechanics to comment on those, but I want to say I like the idea behind it, and the abilities seem to be a good thematic fit. Thumbs up!

Deliverator

Belongs to an elite order
Validated User
Yeah, it occupies a nice niche not covered by the other bloodlines, but not hideously OP either. I do think it'll need some tweaking after a thorough playtest, but the chassis is solid.

Jeph

生き物
Validated User
Instead of spending sorcery points to duplicate effects of spells, I'd just add those spells to the sorcerer's list of spells known.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, here's take two of this. I've refined things a bit and swapped some powers around based on your great feedback. I've also written all of my own fluff.

@Jeph - I thought about adding powers to the spell list, but the advantage of using sorcery points is that I can now add in discounts for sworn vassals.

Royal Sorcery
Once upon a time, the Gods blessed great rulers with the power to rule and protect their people. Those blessed by the goodly Gods could work great miracles on behalf of their people. They could heal with a touch, grant their champions vitality with succulent feasts, and even cow the masses with their majesty. This is the source of your arcane power.

You may be able to trace your lineage back through the ages, telling all you meet that you have the blood of kings. Perhaps this power might be a complete mystery to you, an accident of birth that you have only now discover. Or maybe you are not possessed of noble blood at all, but have instead been gifted it by a dying monarch who you have served loyally for years.

Even though you are blessed with regal power, that is no guarantee that anyone will recognize you or grant you actual political rank. Indeed, in some lands royal sorcerers may be treated as would-be usurpers. If you wish your station in life to match your power, you will have to claim the throne by your own merit or birth.

Bonus Proficiencies

Regal Bearing

Royal Touch
Starting 6th level, you can spend 2 sorcery points to duplicate the effects of the heroism spell or the lesser restoration spell. If the target of this spell has sworn personal fealty to you, the sorcery point cost is reduced by 1.

Noblesse Oblige
Starting at 14th level, you can anoint champions to aid you in our quests. Once per day, you can bless a meal with your royal power for 2 sorcery points. You can bless a number of meals equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). A creature that eats this meal gains the benefits of the heroes' feast spell for 24 hours. If you bless the meal of a creature who has sworn personal fealty to you, the sorcery point cost is reduced by 1.

Grandeur
At 18th level, you can channel the majestic power of your royal blood. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of grandeur to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute, each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be charmed until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours. A creature can also end this effect if it takes an action to kneel and acknowledge you as its rightful ruler, after which the creature has disadvantage on any ability check made against you.

Justice and Rule

I'm the crazy one.
Validated User
  • Like the "Fealty" bonus added in, though you might want to define that for your players (Before people start swearing fealty on and off whenever they need it).
  • Question for Royal Touch: If used as a Heroism spell, does that require Concentration? Just want to make sure.
  • Noblesse Oblige is a great take without being a straight-up Hero's Feast spell. I'd put in a clarification that it has to be previously edible food, though, before you get your Royal Sorcerer blessing mudpies and such. :p

Great stuff!

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
[Like the "Fealty" bonus added in, though you might want to define that for your players (Before people start swearing fealty on and off whenever they need it).
Fortunately my players are good folks. Though if I every release this widely I guess a "Fealty" sidebar would be a good idea.
Question for Royal Touch: If used as a Heroism spell, does that require Concentration? Just want to make sure.
Huh, I hadn't thought about that. My gut says yes.
Noblesse Oblige is a great take without being a straight-up Hero's Feast spell. I'd put in a clarification that it has to be previously edible food, though, before you get your Royal Sorcerer blessing mudpies and such. :p
Again, the player I designed this for is already buying good meals for the group. But the word edible is probably a good idea. Maybe I should even designate "common or better." But for this game, not a worry: the dwarf has proficiency in both brewing and cooking utensils. So they eat well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom