• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[5e] So if a long rest is interrupted you start all over?

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
Am I right in assuming that if you are 7 hours into a long rest, and have to fight a combat, then you have to start all over again (rest for 8 more hours, for a total of 15 hours) or get none of the benefit of the long rests? That is rough on spellcasters!

marleycat

Might not be a
Validated User
Am I right in assuming that if you are 7 hours into a long rest, and have to fight a combat, then you have to start all over again (rest for 8 more hours, for a total of 15 hours) or get none of the benefit of the long rests? That is rough on spellcasters!
That's the way I would rule it.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Yes, thats the RAW. Personally I'd probably be a bit more lenient, and give you "credit" for half the time you rested prior to be awoken, rounding up to the nearest hour. So if rested 7 hours before getting woken up, you'd need 4 hours of sleep once you got back to bed.

NPC Brown Cow

Validated User
Yes and no.The interrupted Long Rest becomes a Short Rest. You can then later take a Long Rest and remember you can only benefit from one Long Rest per 24hrs. Of course if you were an Elf, you would have had your long rest. ;)

Last edited:

marleycat

Might not be a
Validated User
Yes and no.The interrupted Long Rest becomes a Short Rest. You can then later take a Long Rest and remember you can only benefit from one Long Rest per 24hrs. Of course if you were an Elf, you would have had your long rest. ;)
Big advantage there for being an elf wizard. I didn't think about short rest that makes total sense. It's not really helpful for a wizard but could be awesome for a Warlock, Cleric, or Fighter.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Rulings, not rules. By which I mean I would take circumstances into account and determine how much rest they had actually been able to get, then make a decision as DM.

7 hours in a comfy inn room paired with a good meal might well be enough. 8 hours in a cold, dark cave outside of a rain storm might not be enough!

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User
That's what it says, yeah. Surprised me at first too, but I'm ok with it once I pictured it as a fictional situation: "Well that was rough. Okay, you back on watch, everyone else back to your bedrolls. We're sleeping in this morning, at this rate we'll need the rest to be at our best for the next misfortune fate throws at us."

Most PCs are inhumanly efficient on adventure, but they're not machines, so I'm ok with the rules adding some inefficiencies back in, especially when the rules are so simple.

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys are looking at, but the Basic PDF specifically says that a long rest can be interrupted and it still counts.

According to page 67...

• A long rest is at least 8 hours long.
  • You don't have to be asleep. You can read, talk, eat, etc. You can even stand watch (but for no more than two of the eight hours).
  • If your rest is interrupted by strenuous activity - such as fighting and spell casting if your camp is attacked in the night - then providing this takes no more than an hour before you relax again it doesn't interrupt the rest.

Seems a pretty specific set of guidelines to me.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
The rules seem pretty clear to me.

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.
So you can take a 2 hour watch and still get a long rest. You can have your night interrupted by an attack, and as long as you fight them off and are back in bed in less than an hour you still get a long rest. That's more generous than past editions were.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User
I don't know what you guys are looking at, but the Basic PDF specifically says that a long rest can be interrupted and it still counts.

According to page 67...

• A long rest is at least 8 hours long.
  • You don't have to be asleep. You can read, talk, eat, etc. You can even stand watch (but for no more than two of the eight hours).
  • If your rest is interrupted by strenuous activity - such as fighting and spell casting if your camp is attacked in the night - then providing this takes no more than an hour before you relax again it doesn't interrupt the rest.

Seems a pretty specific set of guidelines to me.
We're reading the commas differently. If you parse it as:

• at least 1 hour of walking
  • fighting
  • casting spells

then any fighting/casting interrupts it. This makes sense to me, as any fighting or casting sounds like more than "light activity" (there are no "light" fights, and casting is fluffed as strenuous), but walking isn't strenuous unless it's for an extended time. They obviously need to clarify he wording, but looking at the whole paragraph makes me confident enough to use this reading at my table.

Top Bottom