• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[5e] Which Wizard school gets the rawest deal?

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How common is true sight though?
The spell True Seeing, which is the only way I know to get it is the spell("true seeing") which is a 6th level and lasts for an hour. Useful in combat, if you suspect an illusion, but if you don't?
It's pretty rare for PCs, aside from high-level Warlocks who want to have it always.

But high-tier Demons and Devils have it, as do Sphinxes, Liches, and similar high-end monsters, and when that happens, it's always on and can't be dispelled or whatever.

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
Now conjuration, that's worth considering, given how few times I hear people advocating for summoning, well, anything in 5e.
But it's got teleportation too. Some super useful utility spells. And battlefield control spells. And a couple decent damage spells. It's one of the better spell lists, with about fifty spells for wizards plus cantrips. And create stuff out of thin air is an awesome school power with a little creativity. It's basically, summon traps/tools/loads of useful stuff.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
It's pretty rare for PCs, aside from high-level Warlocks who want to have it always.

But high-tier Demons and Devils have it, as do Sphinxes, Liches, and similar high-end monsters, and when that happens, it's always on and can't be dispelled or whatever.
So stuff most players wont' ever deal with(due to never gettting to higher levels).
OTOH though, my homerules would prevent any nongood type of being from having it. That's doesn't help people not in my games.

I refuse to buy that Illusion is the weakest school (or even close to it) when you consider how late true seeing comes online, combined with all the limits mentioned. It's arguably the number one most powerful school when used "from ambush," so to speak, even if it's less useful once in direct combat.

Now conjuration, that's worth considering, given how few times I hear people advocating for summoning, well, anything in 5e.
Yeah, 5e really nerfed conjuration from most powerful to nearly useless. You have what 12 summoning spells?
A couple find steed spells for the paladin.
Conjure Animals, Conjure Celestial, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Fey, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Unseen servant, Planar Ally.
Insect Plague and Find Familiar. (while conjuring also includes some movement and a few other things, teleportation spells, and things like mage hand and so forth, they aren't semiautonomous beings).

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most campaigns won't have to deal with a Lich or a Sphinx or a Marilith, but if you're in one where you do, your Illusionist is going to feel a degree of regret. (Granted, they probably won't be helpless, but their specialty just went by the wayside.)

Conjuration, though, is quite healthy. Yes, they cut back on the power of Summons, but honestly, something had to be done-- Summoning was too good. But it still has all the Teleportation spells, tons of debuffing or incapacitating spells, and a nice range of damage spells. It's a solid, powerful school. It's just no longer The Only School You Need.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
Necromancy easily. It's one good aspect is half way decent minion creation, and even then it's only slightly better than Conjuration summons if you really work at it. Otherwise it has a a lot of meh debuffs and a general collection of the worst damage spells in the game and it's specialty abilities are pretty meh.

-Naxuul

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One day I really want to combine Mirage Arcane with the illusionist ability, I forgot what it's called, I think it's the level 6 one? That let you change any parameter of an illusion at will.

It might not be great for adventuring but I am going to have the swankiest home ever.

(I'd also be cool for the Creation spell though I'm not sure how that'd work.)

Also, it's not like you have to use Illusion spells all the time (or at all). I'm sure you will be fine that one time you're facing a Marilith (especially if you know about it in advance.)

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Conjuration summons are pretty damn robust, in my experience. A double handful of mephits fucks up all sorts of fights, not to mention the amount of bandwidth a PC with so many actions to take consumes.

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Necromancy easily. It's one good aspect is half way decent minion creation, and even then it's only slightly better than Conjuration summons if you really work at it. Otherwise it has a a lot of meh debuffs and a general collection of the worst damage spells in the game and it's specialty abilities are pretty meh.-Naxuul
Not only that, but try to find a group that won't treat a necromancer as a leper! Even the creators of 5e crap on it!

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
It seems to me that the major shortcomings for Enchantment are a relatively narrow spell selection (especially when you omit everything that doesn't appear on the wizard list) without a lot of good lower-level choices. This seems to be true, perhaps even more so, for Necromancy, (At least I no longer begrudge the necromancers Bestow Curse, which originally struck me as something more suited to the enchantment school.) There are 29 enchantment spells in PHB, of which 17 are actually available to wizards. 7 of those are level 4 or lower, including the cantrip Friends. Necromancy lists only 25 spells, but 17 are on the wizard list and 8 of those are 4th level or lower (including the cantrip Chill Touch), with four each at levels 5 and 6 before the list thins out completely. I'll leave the question of relative quality open.
This is a good argument, structurally, but we have to account for the quality of the necromancy spells as well.

Many of them are fairly naff, so having the option and incentive to use them can functionally be a trap. An enchanter gets little, so is more likely to pick too shelf stuff per level.

A played with a necromancer who never got the leech effect off, before promptly dying at lv 9. It's sad how often monsters were resistant to his abilities.

Yossarian

In Limbo
Validated User
This is a good argument, structurally, but we have to account for the quality of the necromancy spells as well.

Many of them are fairly naff, so having the option and incentive to use them can functionally be a trap. An enchanter gets little, so is more likely to pick too shelf stuff per level.

A played with a necromancer who never got the leech effect off, before promptly dying at lv 9. It's sad how often monsters were resistant to his abilities.
Yup. I was the one he speaks of here. To be fair, our GM let me reskin at level 6 or so, since it was blatantly obvious for him as well that the necromancer was a dud.

Top Bottom