[5e] Which Wizard school gets the rawest deal?

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
Sure, the nerfed polymorph isn't great, the stone stuff is pretty good IMO, but the other two things are pretty meh[their 2nd level ability is of very limited usage, compare to the diviners Foretelling divice?]. But once you get to 14thlevel you can be as young as you want. While you can still die from old age. Wizards seem to have some never mentioned defense against that anyways(since every edition has had wizards who live way longer than they should, and every edition has NEVER explained that).
I always assumed it was supposed to be applications of Wish spells.

-Naxuul

see

Validated User
Wizards seem to have some never mentioned defense against that anyways(since every edition has had wizards who live way longer than they should, and every edition has NEVER explained that).
Hmm? AD&D had potions of longevity, elixirs of youth, the possibility (mentioned in DM Option: High Level Campaigns) to change race by wish spell (becoming an elf after you've already earned thirty levels, say), and the 2e Encyclopedia Magica documents the pigments/portrait of longevity, amulet of perpetual youth, and oil of agelessness.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Hmm? AD&D had potions of longevity, elixirs of youth, the possibility (mentioned in DM Option: High Level Campaigns) to change race by wish spell (becoming an elf after you've already earned thirty levels, say), and the 2e Encyclopedia Magica documents the pigments/portrait of longevity, amulet of perpetual youth, and oil of agelessness.
I just realised that the book also recommends the opposite - as a way for (now transformed to humans) elves and dwarves to continue to gain levels.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
We have a necromancer in our group, he has never gotten the healing kicker off killing someone with a Necromancy spell. Maybe if we ever hit 10th level, and he gets some of the higher-damage Necromancy spells, he'll be happier.
Does your necro have the level 4 spell Blight? 8d8 necrotic or half on save is nothing to scoff at. 4th level spells are at level 7.

wryfool

Validated User
Does your necro have the level 4 spell Blight? 8d8 necrotic or half on save is nothing to scoff at. 4th level spells are at level 7.
We're still only 6th level (our DM has us on the slooooooow advancement track). I'm sure he'll pick up Blight when we finally level-up, but even then, it's a Con save spell with a short range and does no damage against Constructs & Undead. I don't think it's a bad spell, but it wouldn't be my first choice of offensive 4th level spells (which would probably be Confusion & Polymorph).

I would rank the School subclasses like this:
1: Abjuration. Good spell selection, every subclass ability is good (Arcane Ward & Improved Abjuration especially)
2: Evocation. Excellent spell selection, Sculpt Spells & Overchannel are very good, Potent Cantrip & Empowered Evocation are fine.
3: Divination. Decent spell selection (not flashy, but useful), every subclass ability is good (Portent & Expert Divination both rock)
4: Conjuration. Good spell selection (good crowd control spells, most summoning spells are still broken), decent subclass abilities (especially after 6th level)
5: Transmutation. Decent spell selection (good mix of defensive, offensive & buff spells), okay subclass abilities (Transmuter's Stone is good, Minor Alchemy & Shapechanger are meh)
6: Enchantment. Okay spell selection (no spells at 3rd or 7th level, not a lot of flexibility in the school), subclass abilities are very situational (as are spells), great for an urban campaign, not so much for dungeon crawling
7: Illusion. Good spell selection (though there are too many ways to render Illusion spells useless), okay subclass abilities (the best are at level 10+)
8: Necromancy. Limited spell selection (smallest spell list, mostly underwhelming spells at lower levels), class abilities are mostly duplicated by other schools (Conjurers are better with pets, Evokers are better with damage, Transmuters are better at Save or Suck spells)

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
My thing about Diviners is that on paper they're solid. In practice, every DM in the world seems to feel like any information he gives the players should be as cryptic and misleading as possible. Abjuration is good, but worse than Illusion since one protects against attacks and the other avoids them entirely.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
That why you avoid Augury and similar "future" spells. Focus on things like True Sight, Identify, and so on. Stuff that gives you concrete data they can't fudge.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Summoning spells are very powerful, but the Concentration rules help them be more controlled-- if the enemy says "A giant fire elemental just appeared! AIM FOR THE ONES IN BACK,!" which, for my money, is pretty reasonable, they become less of a threat.

Well, and if you picked Conjure Elemental, Greater Demon or (For some weird reason) Fey, if you lose Concentration, your day just got much, much worse.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
Pedantry: Fire elementals don't just appear, because of the ten round casting time. If used, it practically has to be precast, which makes targeting the conjurerer somewhat harder, depending on what your party looks like.

Top Bottom