5E: Who is the best Illusionist?

jamesbowers

When trying to establish a versatile and powerful illusionist, who reigns supreme? The Illusionist Wizard? The Bard? A Sorcerer of some description? I've googled around and haven't found much of a consensus.

Dionysos

Validated User
Illusionist wizard. The bard class has a good selection of illusion spells, but bards have a much smaller number of spells known than wizards, so if they want a robust selection illusion spells they come at the expense of general versatility, something wizards don’t have to worry about as much.

The bigger thing, though, is the illusionist subclass features, which boost illusion spells (obviously). I don’t think any other subclass has the same focus.

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Validated User
The bigger thing, though, is the illusionist subclass features, which boost illusion spells (obviously). I don’t think any other subclass has the same focus.
I could see an argument that a sorcerer's metamagic could make them a contender. Subtle Spell and Twinned Spell both work very well with illusions.

I don't think they quite measure up to an Illusionist Wizard, but they're a repsectable second place.

Top Bottom