7th Sea goes to Chaosium!

BluSponge

Texas Gamer
Validated User
On another topic.... Do they HAVE to fulfill the rest of the kickstarter? I mean I ( a KS backer ) got a ton of free shit that honestly shouldn't have. It was what partially sunk JWP (the other part being, I suspect JW grossly misread what his customer base wanted).

If they came out and said "Hey, there was a lot of product that the backers already got, we are not gonna fulfill the rest of it, but instead pour resources into a new product/patching 2e/new source books. I'd be like....cool
I think it would be more likely that they would fulfill the original KS, but change the system for Khitai. That would ruffle far fewer feathers.

Andrew Sheeler

Crime Fighter
Validated User
I think it would be more likely that they would fulfill the original KS, but change the system for Khitai. That would ruffle far fewer feathers.
Yeah, while we've gotten a lot of 7th Sea stuff, there's some pretty major stuff still outstanding (Colonies, Secret Societies) and I expect there would be some serious bad blood if those never shipped.

g33k

Banned
Validated User
On another topic.... Do they HAVE to fulfill the rest of the kickstarter? I mean I ( a KS backer ) got a ton of free shit that honestly shouldn't have. It was what partially sunk JWP (the other part being, I suspect JW grossly misread what his customer base wanted).
I suspect any attempt to literally answer your "do they HAVE to" question would run afoul of RPGnet's Rule6/Rule9.
I suspect it's murky enough that even many lawyers would be, like, "Who the F--- knows?" But IANAL so maybe there is clarity here! (protip: do not take my legal advice!)

FINALLY: I suspect (based on Chaosium's prior actions) that they will try to figure out what obligations have been made, and are unfulfilled, and what fulfilling each of those would look like and cost, and ONLY THEN tell the backers what they plan to do (up to and including fulfilling all of it). My bet is for them to fulfill more of the obligations, rather than less of them (but it will likely take a considerable time to do so).

If Chaosium (or John Wick) haven't spoken up, then I expect they are still in the "figure out" part of things.

gundark

Validated User
Yeah, while we've gotten a lot of 7th Sea stuff, there's some pretty major stuff still outstanding (Colonies, Secret Societies) and I expect there would be some serious bad blood if those never shipped.
Oooo Secret Societies, I forgot about that one. So yeah forget my other post

swammeyjoe

Validated User
7th Sea 2e already has a purpose built system, and I don't see why they (remember JW is staying on as line director) would shift to an older or more traditional system when that was explicitly what 2e was getting away from in the first place.

Chaosium support multiple systems already, and BRP is about the furthest thing system-wise from the swashbuckling, narrative, roll-then-move mechanics of 2e.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User

If they came out and said "Hey, there was a lot of product that the backers already got, we are not gonna fulfill the rest of it, but instead pour resources into a new product/patching 2e/new source books. I'd be like....cool
It'd be a really really really really really really bad idea.

You might be cool with it. Maybe I'd accept it. But that's not a gamble I'd take with over 11,000 people. No way no how.

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
I don't know, I see John playing and hacking HeroQuest for 7th Sea instead of using BRP.

That said, I do see John playing around with BRP. Doing weird shit with Pendragon or Runequest.

downer

Fairy Tale King
Validated User
Me too. I'd love to get the Colonies sourcebook, and Secret Societies while they're at it (never was a big fan of those). But I would understand if Chaosium went a different way. Seeing how far along those projects are, that's unlikely IMO
I'd like that. Just use the established 2e rules and I'm willing to give it a go. The KS preview didn't convince me that Khitai is more than an expansion for 7th Sea. If they made it one, I am fine.

BluSponge

Texas Gamer
Validated User
The KS preview didn't convince me that Khitai is more than an expansion for 7th Sea. If they made it one, I am fine.
Ah, see, from where I was sitting (plus a few comments from Mike Curry at the time), I thought Khitai was shaping up to be 7th Sea 2.5 (or at least 2.25). They were incorporating a lot of the feedback they’d received over two years of actually playing the game they made, plus a few new tweaks for flavor. The language and examples were being fine tuned based on experience and player feedback. That, to me, makes it an interesting product even though I have very little interest in the Khitai line (except for not-India, because Mughal-era India is a fascinating place). But this transition throws all of that into flux. I honestly have no idea what to expect from Khitai anymore.

Top Bottom