A Feminist RPG or Kickstarter Gold Rush in full swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Talking about this.

She's saving us from ourselves.

It's a game aimed at the disenfranchised.

Thank goodness that the author has deigned to be our champion.

Sorry, snark off. I just found this insulting condescending: "I'm no Dwayne McDuffie, but I do want to change gaming by making it more inclusive -- of women, people of color, LGBT people, and basically everyone. Using Dwayne as my model, I don't want to just talk about inclusive gaming, I want to make and play games that push the window on inclusion."

So step one on making this more "inclusive" -- put the Kickstarter at half the price you list, especially for someone with no writing credits.

Ryumaru Mori

Mew! =D
Validated User
Because all women want to play in roleplaying games is people with broken hearts, who try to find Mr. Right.

It's not like we've got any roleplaying games which include women in anything, or openly accept/ponder on/include LGBT characters. Certainly not a game involving demigods, shapeshifting sex demons, magic airships and kung fu...

GameOpsDir

"I whack the priest!"
Validated User
Talking about this.

"I'm no Dwayne McDuffie, but I do want to change gaming by making it more inclusive -- of women, people of color, LGBT people, and basically everyone. Using Dwayne as my model, I don't want to just talk about inclusive gaming, I want to make and play games that push the window on inclusion.".
Wow. Just.... no.
The first words that came to mind were 'overweening hubris'. I don't recall any of my RPGs coming with any instructions that only white heterosexual males could, or should, play RPGs. I could practically hear the crackle of her torch as she presumed to bring the light to us poor, benighted souls in cockman oppressor-throttled RPGland.
IMHYDAO, the window of which she speaks has always been open. The group I play most often with is made up of 40% women, and as far as I know they all play for the same reasons the guys do: So they can pretend to do shit they might get arrested/skewered/hung/burnt to a crisp doing in RL.
I'm all for folks speaking and writing their minds, but I'll be damned if I vote for this with my dollars!

Nasarius

Validated User
I have absolutely no problem with the text on the Kickstarter site, but the author's blog is not something I'd want to touch, and more importantly, $3000 seems wildly optimistic, seeing as Legends & Labyrinths (now endorsed by Gail Gygax!) has only $2500 with a day to go.

Shame, for $1000 and the right author, I think it could be a great idea.

Four Color

Out of Space
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I fail to see in her game's short blurb the level of condescension that other posters have found. She has a politics and a goal for her game that goes beyond the game; the goal of inclusion seems like a fine one to me. Perhaps I am more willing to believe that there is room for such an approach, regardless of how gender neutral or progressive other games have been.

Besides, anyone who was a friend of Dwayne is someone probably worth knowing, in my opinion.

Supplanter

Retired User
I totally can not see what's upsetting people here. It does make me wish I had the spare cash to buy into one of the high tiers, though.

Jim

FigureFour

Validated User
I totally can not see what's upsetting people here. It does make me wish I had the spare cash to buy into one of the high tiers, though.

Jim
Seriously. People are totally over reacting to a pretty reasonable proposition. The REAL problem here is that the Kickstarter page says nothing about what the GAME is like. I'm all for inclusion, but I want my inclusive game to also be a game that I'd enjoy. I've already got TONS of fantasy adventure games to include people in.

So step one on making this more "inclusive" -- put the Kickstarter at half the price you list, especially for someone with no writing credits.
Ummm . . . Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't she have four writing credits listed on that page you linked to? They may be games I've never heard of, but she does seem to have written something before.

Last edited:

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
Chalk me up as another person who does not understand the hostility to Heartbreak & Heroines. The author wishes to write an RPG from a feminist perspective that she believes will be a bit more inclusive then what she sees in mainstream RPGs. The author offered no insult to gamers in general or the industry as a whole. So why the anger?

Kaiju Keiichi

Banned
Well, when trying to write a 'feminist' RPG, the impulse seems to be to write something that goes against the usual conventions of trad fantasy gaming. This reminds me more of the recent japanese Honobono RPGs like Ryuutama, with PCs solving community problems through non-violent means. Also, compared to the tidal wave of sexist RPGs out there, it's nice to see something that attempts to address the issues in the hobby, no matter how stumbling it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom