• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

A Feminist RPG or Kickstarter Gold Rush in full swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
I think what I found ridiculous was the idea which (at least how I read it) was put forward. Someone mentioned similar earlier. It seems to be this ham-fisted ideal that roleplaying is some kind of white, heterosexual boy's club, with all roleplaying games up till today trying to keep out people of colour, homosexuals, transexuals, etc. out of gaming.
It's still very much a white heterosexual boys club as this demographic seems to account for the majority of gamers and game designers. However, I don't think there's a cabal of gamers and designers sitting around trying to figure out how to keep other people out of the club house.

That Other Guy

Validated User
I'm... curious, yet dubious. As a mixed-race person, I do agree there is a certain (non-vindictive) weighting in terms of the people who play RPGs towards the white male, and I'm glad to see different backgrounds get involved. At the same time, I need to see why this is a 'feminist' RPG as opposed to a bog-standard fantasy heartbreaker which happens to feature more women, and how it actually challenged gender notions in the medium. Particularly I'm curious why she chose a 'feminist' game rather than an 'egalitarian'.

RedFox

Valerie Vixen
Validated User
It's still very much a white heterosexual boys club as this demographic seems to account for the majority of gamers and game designers. However, I don't think there's a cabal of gamers and designers sitting around trying to figure out how to keep other people out of the club house.
I think the tabletop RPG market, in terms of product, is more conscientiously inclusive than most other forms of entertainment I've encountered. That's obviously not something I can back up with hard data, but that's my impression as a bisexual gamer.

Completely not seeing the "insulting condescending" at all here.

In fact, I find the initial post and some of the early comments more insulting than anything I see there.

I'll do my level best to spread the world and get this funded.

What I find silly is that women would never go out and see the world and have adventures unless their heart is broken first... She says she wants to create a feminist RPG and it's a requirement for all the characters to be heartbroken, because a woman simply wouldn't go on adventures otherwise? WTH?

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Yeah, I don't see the objectionable part, either. I certainly wouldn't put down money for it, but that's more because the the sales pitch is setting off all sorts of Yet Another Fantasy Heartbreaker alarm bells for me (ironically enough, given the name of the project), not because the premise bothers me in and of itself.
*nods* I like the overall concept, but I haven't a clue about the actual game, either in terms of rules or setting, and that seems like a rather poor advertising choice. It's also rather unclear how it's going to be any more feminist than a (admittedly quite small) number of RPGs already out there - Buffy & Blue Rose being the two most obvious examples.

Ryumaru Mori

Mew! =D
Validated User
While it may make up a significant demographic, the logic that 'a vast majority are white straight dudes, therefore RPGs don't do enough to include others' is like saying 'Computers are racist, because it's mostly Chinese who make them'. I also can't say I've ever found a group in my life (unless I'm apparently blessed in this area) which has tried to kick players out, or tried to avoid getting them to play for not being white heterosexuals... o_O

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*nods* I like the overall concept, but I haven't a clue about the actual game, either in terms of rules or setting, and that seems like a rather poor advertising choice.
Yeah, that's one of the bigger warning signs for me: a sales pitch that's all about the high concept, and not a sniff about the mechanical design. In my experience, that's usually an indicator of a game that has a 2011 premise and 1981 mechanics. I mean, sure, it's a feminist RPG, rock on, but let's not forget the important thing here: what kind of dice do I roll?

(Note: Partly facetious. But only partly.)

Silverlion

Banned

In fact, I find the initial post and some of the early comments more insulting than anything I see there.

I am going to pledge as soon as I can. I hope it rocks. I don't see it as insulting either. On the other hand, being male and a member of the evil patriarchy, I don't understand why kickass heroines aren't a part of most of our gaming anyway. Admittedly, I brought my sister into gaming as early as I could, I've got a niece who games. But those are players, not characters.

Really? Someone strides in, claims 'you're all doing it wrong' then proceeds to show you how to 'do it right' and in the process hilariously follows genre conventions with 'heartbroken' females. All the while riding the moral superiorty of 'feminism' which by the definition of the word is not about equality at all.

If they'd produced some evidence of those claims I'd actually be willing to listen. However I doubt very much (apart from perhaps art) they could point to many RPGs as being overtly sexist or biggoted. D&D has gone to silly lengths to ignore racial and gender inequality, giving a setting full of female paladins, black clerics etc.

No, what this looks like, given the lack of evidence on their part, is yet another 'I will feel insulted on behalf of the disadvantaged' hiding behind claims of equality so they can't be debated. The hardline 'feminists' (I don't think that word means what you think it means...) that I've tried to debate simply fall back on ad hominem 'sexist' defences to protect their arguments.

Next time you see someone being critical of Israel count the number of accusations of anti semitism thrown up as a defence. Same deal. Bullying people into acquiescing through accusations of intollerance really don't do anything positive for me.

Hellebore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom