A little help, roll OSR Lore Checks

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
I missed it completely. I hope someone knows what it was and where to get a copy. I love the idea of an OSR sword 7 sorcery game with no player spell casters.
I've sorta begun writing something similar to it because I've spent many a sleepless night searching old RPGnet pages for it. I don't even remember which RPGnet forum I saw it on. I'm pretty sure it was before the big d20 split, but a lot of those years blend together

Never heard of it, beyond I'm thinking it was a 3E hack?

Are you thinking of the Barbarians of Lemuria variant The BoL Hack? It's a very stripped down version of BoL, but uses a d20. There's a Magician class, but most will be NPC's since most magic is evil.
Definitely not, as the timeline doesn't match up. And this was BIG on "no your PCs aren't gonna be spellcasters" Really the tone is probably a big part of why I initially deleted it.

Maybe you were thinking of ZEFRS - Zeb Cook's Fantasy Roleplay system, the stripped down system used in the original TSR Conan RPG?
No, but I have been meaning to give that game another look.

maybe and Crypts & Things?

... Jk. first thing that comes to mind is Carcosa.
Both have spellcasting classes. In fact Carcosa's only class is a spellcaster. I don't know why it came to your mind.

Also Carcosa isn't a game, it's a supplement to OD&D (initially) and LotFP (currently).

It sounds an awful lot like Iron Heroes, except that Iron Heroes isn't an OSR game, and I don't think it was ever free.
I mean is Iron Heroes worth taking a look at if I, and let me be clear (again), hate 3E... I have used ranting and raving about 3E to help me finish the last leg of a 17 hour drive at night in a snowstorm.

I have not idea, sorry :(

But I have a question for you... do you know of a place that has a two or three sentence summary of each of those many games? Because I'm looking at picking up another OSR type game or two, but I don't quite know where to start.
Really I have a pretty good knowledge of OSR games, what specifically are you looking for?

It's a bit out of date, but this page might be a good place to start.

I tried to use it to find the one the OP was looking for, but Ctrl-F-ing the keywords didn't seem to come up with anything.
Yes if it was that easy I'd have found it. I was hoping the laundry list of OSR games in the OP would demonstrate that this was a Test For Champions.

Damn, I don't know either, but I'd also like to know.
I KNOW, right? I really kick myself for having deleted it. I don't delete anything anymore.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
I mean is Iron Heroes worth taking a look at if I, and let me be clear (again), hate 3E... I have used ranting and raving about 3E to help me finish the last leg of a 17 hour drive at night in a snowstorm.

It's a neat 3E hack, and supports awesome fighter-types slashing their way through the Monster Manual without the need for magic items, but at the end of the day it's a 3E hack. If you hate 3E, I doubt it will change your mind.

b9anders

Validated User
mmm... I think I may have encountered this on a blog I retrived from archive.net recently. let me see what I can find in my cache on other pc.

Top Bottom