• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

A message from Green Ronin re: CA Suleiman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hafwit

Try to remember peace
Validated User
The name came up in the big thread about sexual harrassment in the rpg industry, just before it was closed. Yesterday Green Ronin issued this message:

Recently a contractor that we’ve been working with, CA Suleiman, was accused of sexual harassment. We were in the midst of an internal investigation and had decided nothing as yet when this was taken to the court of public opinion. There is a lot we could say about the events of the last few days and the recklessness with which people who have no connection to the incident or even the game industry have acted, and perhaps later we will, but here is the point. Green Ronin is a progressive company, full stop, and loudly so. One need look no further than our games or the causes we support through charitable giving to see that this is so. If someone brings allegations of sexual harassment to our doorstep, you’d better believe we take it seriously. In light of these accusations, we have made some decisions.

CA Suleiman has been working with us on a single project. The Lost Citadel was a Kickstarter we ran earlier this year and we will be publishing it, as we have an obligation to the backers. We will be assigning someone else to oversee the project moving ahead, however, and we will not be working with CA on any future projects.

As a point of clarification, CA was never in charge of the talent search for women and non-binary writers that we ran earlier this year. That was a company effort, spearheaded by co-owner Nicole Lindroos.

The leadership of Green Ronin will be meeting off site over the next few days to discuss these matters. If you have any relevant information you think we should know, please send it to custserv@greenronin.com. Thank you.

Edited by Bailywolf - This is an official reminder to stick to the site rules when discussing these really sensitive - and for some, intensely personal- issues. Avoid personal attacks against other site users, and game designers and writers. Criticizing behavior is fine, attacking people is not. Infractions WILL follow, if people can't maintain some chill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
On the one hand, I'm glad they got rid of him. On the other, their nastiness on social media for the last few days and the aggressive and accusatory tone in their announcement is really off-putting. Calling out "the recklessness with which people who have no connection to the incident or even the game industry have acted" is basically saying "We're angry people were mean to us about defending a sexual harasser, even though our response makes it look like we wouldn't have done anything at all if they hadn't dragged all of this into the public eye." Honestly, they way they've handled all of this makes me not want to buy from Green Ronin again. I had just picked up the Freedom City 3E book when it dropped in pdf, right before all of this came out, and now I can't even open it up without feeling upset and gross-by-proxy.

If they had said something like "We're looking into this, so give us a few days to talk to all parties involved" and then hadn't gone picking fights with the Horror Writers of America, Chuck Wendig, and a bunch of other people in ways that looked like they were defending Suleiman at the expense of his accusers, maybe they wouldn't be catching so much shit about it. As it stands, I don't know if I'll ever be willing to purchase from them again, and I've been a pretty major consumer of M&M over the years in its various iterations. They'll need to work really hard to rebuild my trust in them.

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
I'm noticing that I'm willing to give some of these organizations the benefit of the doubt at this exact moment in time. Some of the foundations are shaking loose, and we're entering a new era where this kind of shit just isn't going to be tolerated any more, and institutions are having to adjust. It's likely to be messy while that happens.

I'm also not plugged in on all media, and so am missing a lot of what's being said in public and private spaces until it's shared in fora like these, which ignorance may allow me some more tolerance than my better-informed peers.

Regardless, companies and individuals-in-power really need to cut it out with the righteous indignation bullshit. GRR's statement comes across as belligerent, we-know-best bullshit. It's not at all comforting, and it's not ever the correct stance for institutions to take. We're in a moment of time where the victims and their champions are in the right, and everyone needs to stop their bullshit, listen, and make the right judgment calls for their values.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
If they had said something like "We're looking into this, so give us a few days to talk to all parties involved" and then hadn't gone picking fights with the Horror Writers of America, Chuck Wendig, and a bunch of other people in ways that looked like they were defending Suleiman at the expense of his accusers, maybe they wouldn't be catching so much shit about it. As it stands, I don't know if I'll ever be willing to purchase from them again, and I've been a pretty major consumer of M&M over the years in its various iterations. They'll need to work really hard to rebuild my trust in them.
Agreed.

I think GR came out of this looking kind of bad and if the fall-out on FB is any indication, they've lost some fans.

Phil Said

Validated User
The aggressive and hectoring tone of that statement....

I know exactly who wrote it, and as a fan of M&M in particular, it makes it hard to keep buying their stuff.

Ineti

Playing mind games! Woo!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Had they deleted "We were in the midst of an internal investigation and had decided nothing as yet when this was taken to the court of public opinion. There is a lot we could say about the events of the last few days and the recklessness with which people who have no connection to the incident or even the game industry have acted, and perhaps later we will, but here is the point. " It'd read so much better. Alas.

Stacie.Winters1

Validated User
People do seem to be very quick to judge without always knowing all the facts and can often be pretty harsh in their statements and stuff even before knowing everything there is about a situation. It's something I personally don't really understand, and when I read the above, they are saying that they are not working with the person who was accused of the harassment anymore and if they could they wouldn't even release the work that the person was working on but because its a kickstarter they are going to follow through with that commitment.

I don't see the problem.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This is an official reminder to stick to the site rules when discussing these really sensitive - and for some, intensely personal- issues. Avoid personal attacks against other site users, and game designers and writers. Criticizing behavior is fine, attacking people is not. Infractions WILL follow, if people can't maintain some chill.

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The aggressive and hectoring tone of that statement....

I know exactly who wrote it, and as a fan of M&M in particular, it makes it hard to keep buying their stuff.
The aggressive and hectoring tone of that statement coming after their statements and actions in the other thread regarding accusations against that exact same person have made me decide to not buy anything from them ever again.

Last edited:

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On the one hand, I'm glad they got rid of him. On the other, their nastiness on social media for the last few days and the aggressive and accusatory tone in their announcement is really off-putting. Calling out "the recklessness with which people who have no connection to the incident or even the game industry have acted"
Had they deleted "We were in the midst of an internal investigation and had decided nothing as yet when this was taken to the court of public opinion. There is a lot we could say about the events of the last few days and the recklessness with which people who have no connection to the incident or even the game industry have acted, and perhaps later we will, but here is the point. " It'd read so much better. Alas.
Their position is extremely hypocritical. They're basically yelling at other people for talking about incidents they don't have any connection to - well, exactly what connection does GR have with these incidents? Because I'm pretty sure they aren't "connected" to all of them either, unless they now want to take the position that CAS was their employee at all times.

Which I am fairly certain they do not.

Let's try this on for size: "Chuck Wendig wasn't there, he doesn't get to have an opinion on this! Only we get to have an opinion on stuff we weren't there for!"

Because that's what they're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom