A message from Green Ronin re: CA Suleiman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Said

Validated User
People do seem to be very quick to judge without always knowing all the facts and can often be pretty harsh in their statements and stuff even before knowing everything there is about a situation. It's something I personally don't really understand, and when I read the above, they are saying that they are not working with the person who was accused of the harassment anymore and if they could they wouldn't even release the work that the person was working on but because its a kickstarter they are going to follow through with that commitment.

I don't see the problem.
It’s the small stuff, the “court of public opinion” element, the insinuation that they’re publicly progressive so shouldn’t be called out by anyone for being otherwise. I genuinely believe that Green Ronin are a great company, and I think their corporate heart is in the right place, but they are often terrible at communicating.

flashman

Validated User
That statement...could have used a lot more polishing. Unnecessarily combative and confusing. If they're taking him off the project (it sounds permanently), what are they taking a few days to look at, exactly? How they handled the issue? The "court" of public opinion? As someone above said, it's very likely they would have done nothing if it hadn't blown up, so why be passive aggressive? It sounds like they are only grudgingly taking him off the project.

memorax300

Banned
I think it needs to be mandatory for rpg companies to hire a HR person. Or at least before posting something like the OP to be read by the entire development group. As it is not a very diplomatic and very aggressive post. Guaranteed to alienate as opposed to show that they are seems to want to take the issue seriously imo. Whether we like it or not thanks to the Internet and Social Media many issues and topics get decided in the court of public opinion. It's become a stand way for many to decide and weigh in on a topic. Sometimes without even knowing the full facts or basing their opinions sometimes on heresay. So for them to act surprised that it happened is hard to believe imo. Due to financial constraints I have to get rid of some of my rpgs. I wanted to keep my GR material. Now I'm not so sure. Mainly from the negative tone of GR OP and because of a feeling that they take the fanbase for granted.

Last edited:

VictorVD

Validated User
Is there anywhere online that, how do I put this?..."catalogues" all the various offenders, including the accusations against them, evidence/testimonials, and follow-ups? It just seems like there's more and more as time goes on, and a name will get casually dropped in conversation, and its getting very hard to keep up.

People do seem to be very quick to judge without always knowing all the facts and can often be pretty harsh in their statements and stuff even before knowing everything there is about a situation. It's something I personally don't really understand, and when I read the above, they are saying that they are not working with the person who was accused of the harassment anymore and if they could they wouldn't even release the work that the person was working on but because its a kickstarter they are going to follow through with that commitment.

I don't see the problem.
Well, just on it's own, the statement starts with a bunch of them listing their progressive bona-fides, casting shade at people that have been both speaking up on CAS in general and GR's relationship with him in general, and the whole "here is the problem and what we are doing about it" as kind of a trailing third, instead f that being the primary focus.

And that's the charitable, ignoring any other context reading, when this exists in a context where, as others have noted, GR has been very aggressive, dismissive, and derogatory on social media (and this site) towards the matter. They've accused the HWA of bowing to social media pressure and that their "facts" are wrong, told at least one victim her direct experience she was relating was a "third-hand account", laid all the blame for these being put on blast at the feet of Chuck Wendig which erases the role Hillary Monahan (a rape survivor herself) has been taking in being an active voice with the backing of victims of CAS she's been communicating with, that their statement frames this solely as a "game industry" problems with outsiders poking their noses in when this is also a horror industry issue (and this statement comes the day after the HWA permabanned CAS from all their events), are engaging in very heavy tone-policing on their FB to the point of hiding threads with first-hand account by one of CAS's victims and GR "commending" someone for "being calm", and well, yeah.

ETA: Oh and GR saying in the Mentzer thread that their extensive research on CAS turned up only decade-old reports, despite people having said they relayed CAS's behavior at Stokercon in March to GR in April.

Last edited:

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Is there anywhere online that, how do I put this?..."catalogues" all the various offenders, including the accusations against them, evidence/testimonials, and follow-ups? It just seems like there's more and more as time goes on, and a name will get casually dropped in conversation, and its getting very hard to keep up.
Some collective 'list' like that would be stunningly open for abuse, to be honest.

I think best bet would be to google people with proper terms and see if anyone is complaining. I know these things start out in private spaces and on social feeds but anything substantive seems to spill over quickly so Google searching would probably help.

FickleGM

Validated User
Despite the tone of the message, I am glad that the end result is GR cutting ties with CAS. They may not have handled it well, but since action was taken, I’ll take it.

Too many bad actors in our hobby, let alone society.

Last edited:

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
The thing I find most interesting is that just a couple of days ago GR was giving a full-throated defense of this guy and their practices.
Now he's on the outs and they are issuing a statement saying as much.
The announcement might be tone deaf and have problematic elements, but let's focus for a moment on the sea change we've gotten in less than a week when even just months ago this would have been treated as a non-issue.
I, for one, salute GR's attempt to address this openly, even if they may have fumbled the delivery.

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The thing I find most interesting is that just a couple of days ago GR was giving a full-throated defense of this guy and their practices.
Now he's on the outs and they are issuing a statement saying as much.
The announcement might be tone deaf and have problematic elements, but let's focus for a moment on the sea change we've gotten in less than a week when even just months ago this would have been treated as a non-issue.
I, for one, salute GR's attempt to address this openly, even if they may have fumbled the delivery.
Given their previous support and defense of this guy, this doesn't feel like GR buckling down and doing the right thing so much as it feels like them reluctantly doing something after the HWA's action forced their hand and would still be sweeping this under the rug if that hadn't happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom