A message from Green Ronin re: CA Suleiman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User
The thing I find most interesting is that just a couple of days ago GR was giving a full-throated defense of this guy and their practices.
Now he's on the outs and they are issuing a statement saying as much.
The announcement might be tone deaf and have problematic elements, but let's focus for a moment on the sea change we've gotten in less than a week when even just months ago this would have been treated as a non-issue.
I, for one, salute GR's attempt to address this openly, even if they may have fumbled the delivery.
Pretty much. (I'll be honest, as a Bear's fan, I think I'm just used to fumbling...)

(also: this situation makes me sad that I still don't know why I've been blocked by Chuck Wendig on twitter for three years)

Last edited:
Given their previous support and defense of this guy, this doesn't feel like GR buckling down and doing the right thing so much as it feels like them reluctantly doing something after the HWA's action forced their hand and would still be sweeping this under the rug if that hadn't happened.
Pretty much this. That's what's "come to light" in the last week or two.

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it needs to be mandatory for rpg companies to hire a HR person. Or at least before posting something like the OP to be read by the entire development group.
Totally irrespective of the GR post, I wanted to note that's a total fantasy given the state and size of the industry. Most RPG companies are lucky to hire one full-time person. I suspect you could count the number of companies with more paid RPG staff than that on your hands, and they're the only ones who might have the resources to hire HR (or PR as the case might be).

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
I think it needs to be mandatory for rpg companies to hire a HR person. Or at least before posting something like the OP to be read by the entire development group.
I think you mean PR (Public Relations), not HR (Human Resources). I'm sure Green Ronin has an HR person, who would hopefully have some skill at internal investigation of claims of sexual harassment (though, frankly, it's not a well-developed HR skill even in extremely large companies), but few HR people are going to have skill at public-facing announcements. That's the purview of Public Relations, which most small companies are going to call Marketing (a very different division) and are not going to have any real experience or skill with crisis management. Instead, this sort of thing is going to be managed at the skill level of the senior leadership, which will vary from company to company.

~*~

Given their clearly strong internal identity as a progressive leader in the industry, I can only imagine the sense of anger, humiliation, betrayal, and shame that the leadership at Green Ronin are feeling right now, for having thought they'd done due diligence with a questionable actor only to discover that said actor betrayed the trust they put in him (and, presumably, violated at least verbal agreements they'd made with each other).

It's unfortunate that the communication of those emotions has come out as outward attacks. Hopefully (sometime soon) the leadership there can come forward with something more heartfelt, like:

"Having taken pride in ourselves as a highly progressive company, we are deeply ashamed to have learned that our due diligence in the matter of hiring and working with CAS did not go far enough, and we regret our actions as we digested our failure. Please, all of our colleagues, take heed that even a company filled with people thinking they are doing it right can make terrible mistakes with regards to this very difficult issue. Having now experienced this, we believe that no company, however well-educated and well-meaning, can truly be safe from this sort of mistake, and we are taking this experience as a clarion call for us to both get much better at this thing we already thought we were quite good at, and to be a much better champion for those vulnerable members of our industry who are so terribly hurt by the actions of bad actors.

We're terribly sorry for the harm and injury we have caused in recent days, and will strive to show you that we can do much, much better.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Validated User
Pretty much this. That's what's "come to light" in the last week or two.
There are a few legitimate reasons for a response like the one GR issued, and the reason to which you are agreeing is definitely one of them, and it’s a poor reason.

I am, however, willing to cut them slack, because many folk have a hard time admitting mistakes and accepting the embarrassment. GR has been a fairly progressive company and if I can’t allow for a misstep, especially when the end result (regardles of how/why) is positive, then I feel like I may be holding humanity to an incredibly high standard.

I can understand why others may not want to be as forgiving, but I can’t bring myself to slam them too much. If I could *know* that they would have swept it under the rug, my opinion would be different, but since that is unknowable, I am willing to appreciate the end result as a net positive.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that [MENTION=83596]Atlictoatl[/MENTION] encapsulates many of my thoughts much more eloquently than I in the post above this one.

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
There are a few legitimate reasons for a response like the one GR issued, and the reason to which you are agreeing is definitely one of them, and it’s a poor reason.

I am, however, willing to cut them slack, because many folk have a hard time admitting mistakes and accepting the embarrassment. GR has been a fairly progressive company and if I can’t allow for a misstep, especially when the end result (regardles of how/why) is positive, then I feel like I may be holding humanity to an incredibly high standard.

I can understand why others may not want to be as forgiving, but I can’t bring myself to slam them too much. If I could *know* that they would have swept it under the rug, my opinion would be different, but since that is unknowable, I am willing to appreciate the end result as a net positive.
While you're not wrong (and I've said similar things in both of my other posts in this thread), GR's stumble was quite a bit more egregious than their not-so-great announcement:

Here's Hillary Monahan's account on Storify about the HWA experiences with Suleiman for the curious.

Last edited:

memorax300

Banned
Totally irrespective of the GR post, I wanted to note that's a total fantasy given the state and size of the industry. Most RPG companies are lucky to hire one full-time person. I suspect you could count the number of companies with more paid RPG staff than that on your hands, and they're the only ones who might have the resources to hire HR (or PR as the case might be).
Good point. Still in the case of GR it should have been looked at by more than one. In their case it has made matter worse. The forest is on fire one does not throw a bunch of gas to help it spread.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Validated User
While you're not wrong, GR's stumble was quite a big more egregious than their not-so-great announcement:
Yes, misstep was a weak word choice on my part. This is one of the reasons why I totally understand and cannot really argue with those who are taking them to task. I just can’t, as of yet, take that step. I am hopeful they will come out with another statement and show some culpability in their mistakes. I’m also suffering from rage-fatigue, so my holding out hope that those I thought were good will prove that, despite mistakes, they still are, is to preserve my sanity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom