• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

A minor thought about One-Punch Man (slightly spoilery)

Bicorn

Validated User
The recent concern about whether the new season of OPM will be as well-made as the previous one brought to mind a thought I had about a small detail in the first one. It's certainly near-perfect in most ways, but there's one detail that I think could have been done better - the sound of the King Engine.
Spoiler: Show
The way it sounds in the anime makes it a little too obvious that it's just his heartbeat.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The recent concern about whether the new season of OPM will be as well-made as the previous one brought to mind a thought I had about a small detail in the first one. It's certainly near-perfect in most ways, but there's one detail that I think could have been done better - the sound of the King Engine.
Spoiler: Show
The way it sounds in the anime makes it a little too obvious that it's just his heartbeat.
Isn't that what it's supposed to be? I mean, even the people who buy into his mythos *think* it's the heartbeat of his burning rage. For justice.

Bicorn

Validated User
Isn't that what it's supposed to be? I mean, even the people who buy into his mythos *think* it's the heartbeat of his burning rage. For justice.
From what I recall, it was not explicitly described as a heartbeat. (checking) In his first appearance, one bystander asks "what's that noise" and another explains it's the King Engine, the sound that comes up when he readies for battle. Much like many other things in OPM parody well known tropes, I think it's riffing on the common element of representing a mood as an audible sound, like the "ゴゴゴゴゴゴ" thing in JoJo.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Perhaps it could be explained as a sort of environmental soundtrack. I mean, that's kind of a superpower, right?

Top Bottom